ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,331.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hey, I don't mind if you want to waste your time with your insults and mockery, just stop doing it on all my threads please,... OK?

Oh, it's not a waste of time at all. I'm gathering material for my book. This stuff is gold, baby!

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

BubbaJack

Dec 24, 2016
Deep South
✟27,403.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I don't see why the existence of an entrenched bureaucracy is controversial. Eisenhower warned of the "military-industrial complex," which could be seen as a forerunner for the Deep State.

Maybe some people think they're "cool" for feigning skepticism. :scratch:

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't see why the existence of an entrenched bureaucracy is controversial. Eisenhower warned of the "military-industrial complex," which could be seen as a forerunner for the Deep State.

Maybe some people think they're "cool" for feigning skepticism.

I KNOW, right?

LOL!

And regarding Eisenhower, there's a film called "Why We Fight" where Eisenhower speaks on that exact same thing.

• Informative
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, it's not a waste of time at all. I'm gathering material for my book. This stuff is gold, baby!
Please enlarge your orientation to consider my time, not simply your own. That's the waste I was addressing.

"Waste of time" was a charitable description of what you're doing unless you're one of these:

Confessions of a Paid Disinformation Shill
…..I am writing here to come out of the closet as a paid shill. For a little over six months, I was paid to spread disinformation and argue political points on the Internet. ATS was NOT one that I was assigned to post on, although other people in the same organization were paid to be here, and I assume they still walk among you. But more on this later.

I quit this job in the latter part of 2011, because I became disgusted with it, and with myself. I realized I couldn’t look myself in the mirror anymore. If this confession triggers some kind of retribution against me, so be it. Part of being a real man in this world is having real values that you stand up for, no matter what the consequences.

My story begins in early 2011. I had been out of work for almost a year after losing my last job in tech support. Increasingly desperate and despondent, I jumped at the chance when a former co-worker called me up and said she had a possible lead for me. “It is an unusual job, and one that requires secrecy. But the pay is good. And I know you are a good writer, so its something you are suited for.” (Writing has always been a hobby for me). She gave me only a phone-number and an address, in one of the seedier parts of San Francisco, where I live. intrigued, I asked her for the company’s URL and some more info. She laughed. “They don’t have a website. Or even a name. You’ll see. Just tell them I referred you.” Yes, it sounded suspicious, but long-term joblessness breeds desperation, and desperation has a funny way of overlooking the suspicious when it comes to putting food on the table"

Pay for Comments - Confessions of a Paid Disinformation Internet Shill | Wake Up World

• Informative
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Please enlarge your orientation to consider my time, not simply your own. That's the waste I was addressing.

"Waste of time" was a charitable description of what you're doing unless you're one of these:

…..I am writing here to come out of the closet as a paid shill. For a little over six months, I was paid to spread disinformation and argue political points on the Internet. ATS was NOT one that I was assigned to post on, although other people in the same organization were paid to be here, and I assume they still walk among you. But more on this later.

I quit this job in the latter part of 2011, because I became disgusted with it, and with myself. I realized I couldn’t look myself in the mirror anymore. If this confession triggers some kind of retribution against me, so be it. Part of being a real man in this world is having real values that you stand up for, no matter what the consequences.

My story begins in early 2011. I had been out of work for almost a year after losing my last job in tech support. Increasingly desperate and despondent, I jumped at the chance when a former co-worker called me up and said she had a possible lead for me. “It is an unusual job, and one that requires secrecy. But the pay is good. And I know you are a good writer, so its something you are suited for.” (Writing has always been a hobby for me). She gave me only a phone-number and an address, in one of the seedier parts of San Francisco, where I live. intrigued, I asked her for the company’s URL and some more info. She laughed. “They don’t have a website. Or even a name. You’ll see. Just tell them I referred you.” Yes, it sounded suspicious, but long-term joblessness breeds desperation, and desperation has a funny way of overlooking the suspicious when it comes to putting food on the table"

Pay for Comments - Confessions of a Paid Disinformation Internet Shill | Wake Up World

This is most informative.

I can see how utterly nauseating it must be to actually be employed as a paid shill (or would professional "troll" describe it more accurately?)

• Agree
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is most informative.

I can see how utterly nauseating it must be to actually be employed as a paid shill (or would professional "troll" describe it more accurately?)

I once all but accused a poster on CF of being such a shill and was very surprised when that poster did not deny it or seem offended by my words but simply ignored the implied accusation and continued parrotting the previous talking points that had made me suspicious. .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I once all but accused a poster on CF of being such a shill and was very surprised when that poster did not deny it or seem offended by my words but simply ignored the implied accusation and continued parrotting the previous talking points that had made me suspicious. .

That's intriguing.

• Agree
Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private

How convenient. You can just ignore anything from now on with this handy dandy shill excuse.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How convenient. You can just ignore anything from now on with this handy dandy shill excuse.

What exactly are you accusing people of ignoring?
The Deep State?
I, for one, don't ignore the propaganda of the shill. I may be amused by the shill's lack of sophistication and by the self deception of those shill's that are so blatantly parrotting a line yet think they are so sly that no one could be suspicious of them , but I still feel it is my civic duty to point out the difference between reality and spin whether it is a shill pretending or an actual misguided person that believes the spin over the reality.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You also address my person with allegation rather than my issue.
That allegation might have substance if the "anything" you're not helping me ignore had any substance itself.
The pile-on reflex is hard to resist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

You know this article (and a poll) could make an interesting thread, would you mind if it got used as such???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I once all but accused a poster on CF of being such a shill and was very surprised when that poster did not deny it or seem offended by my words but simply ignored the implied accusation and continued parroting the previous talking points that had made me suspicious. .

The mods seem to be doing a better job of weeding some of the worst ones out lately...

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,956.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anybody else heard this term getting open usage in mainstream media?
Sounds like reality is leaking through the media façade of normality.
This will necessarily re-categorize or de-stigmatize what has been derogated as "conspiracy".

Links provided by Rion:

Are Deep-State Leakers Defending Democracy or Corroding It?
Glenn Greenwald: What The ‘Deep State’ Is Doing To Trump Is ‘A Prescription For Destroying Democracy’
Seven Days in February
The Political Assassination of Michael Flynn

Interesting OP and thanks to Rion for adding the links.

If Intelligence Officials leak classified information without proper authorisation isn't that treason?

Does the American Constitution allow individual bureaucrats to make the kind of decisions that are being made to leak information in special circumstances. Surely they would have to submit that through the normal channels? Or do these channels simply not exist within the intelligence services?

Does a closer relationship with Russia constitute a security risk to the USA for example that would justify information leakage or is this just an example of entrenched Cold War prejudice by people in the wrong jobs?

When you speak of the Deep State it seem to me you exaggerate the degree of unity and imply a political elite with an integrated agenda and uniform purpose. In fact the increasingly partisan nature of American politics seems to imply a party loyalty before country loyalty in some cases. Also the large number of different agencies competing for influence and budget does not imply perfect sharing and coherent purpose.

So I suspect the Deep State does not exist and the real question is how America will handle its traitors?

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
QUOTE="mindlight=]Interesting OP and thanks to Rion for adding the links.

If Intelligence Officials leak classified information without proper authorisation isn't that treason?
Thank you and ditto on props to Rion.
Is it still treason if the leak is a whistleblow on treasonous activity being covered up by 'virtue' of being classified?
Does the American Constitution allow individual bureaucrats to make the kind of decisions that are being made to leak information in special circumstances. Surely they would have to submit that through the normal channels? Or do these channels simply not exist within the intelligence services?
Intelligence services are the alleged members of the alleged Deep State.
Normal channels have been controlled.

Does a closer relationship with Russia constitute a security risk to the USA for example that would justify information leakage or is this just an example of entrenched Cold War prejudice by people in the wrong jobs?
The definition of security risk is being redefined in the public mind as it becomes aware of the Deep State notably human trafficking being the spearhead for mass arrests.

When you speak of the Deep State it seem to me you exaggerate the degree of unity and imply a political elite with an integrated agenda and uniform purpose. In fact the increasingly partisan nature of American politics seems to imply a party loyalty before country loyalty in some cases. Also the large number of different agencies competing for influence and budget does not imply perfect sharing and coherent purpose.
Right.
The still dreaming public isn't cognizant of how good intentions become co-opted by the profit motive into becoming the pavement on that highway AC/DC sang about being on.
So I suspect the Deep State does not exist and the real question is how America will handle its traitors?
Um,... what? Traitors are all lone wolves?
Entertaining perspective, that.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It may be because you can only conceive of the Deep State to be "an entrenched bureaucracy" that you are unable to understand why there is a controversy.

Upvote 0