Jon Goode

Nov 10, 2016
Lisbon
✟8,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Possibly wise and faithful grandmother !

Bigpharma is NOT FAITHFUL nor true.
It is written that it deceives the whole world.

So to be faithful, you have to find a doctor that's not controlled by them, not serving them, and not deceived by them.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. She wouldn't say that you have to find a good doctor who knows what he's doing. She would say that you just shouldn't go to a doctor, even if he's the best doctor in the world, because if you have faith, then god will just 'magically' cure you.
This makes for some pretty insane situations, for example where she's clearly sick, but she denies it with everything she's got, because she thinks that if she's actually sick, that just means that her faith isn't strong enough.
I would call this confusion, wouldn't you?

So?? Like, so what if she's confused??

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jon Goode

Nov 10, 2016
Lisbon
✟8,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I mean is that, yes, the Bible is dangerous in the hands of the great masses of meaning-well teachers.

No, I meant why do you feel compelled to write about it if what you really think you should do is sit and dwell on it?

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, I meant why do you feel compelled to write about it if what you really think you should do is sit and dwell on it?

I don't know that I should sit and be silent. I take the scripture very seriously, and I believe that false teaching - even with the best of intentions - is a great sin against the truth. One of the greatest sins of all. It's tantamount to spiritual murder in that you can kill someone's spirit; you can unintentionally wreck spiritual destruction, you can kill people's faith and hope if you're teaching what isn't true. This is a serious crime against God. I look at what I'm saying from every conceivable angle afforded me, and all I conclude is, what I'm lead to understand is the truth. But then there is the thought "What if the understanding is wrong?" What if?

No matter how certain I am of this understanding, I look around and think, "They all believe their understanding is right; and if I look at them and say 'They think they're right; but they are wrong' can't the same be true of me?" Even though I look at everyone else and conclude "Clearly none of them have done their homework; they're all just looking at a few scriptures and repeating what they've been taught to believe; nothing they understand is true" I have to look at my self and think, "Couldn't I be the same, what if this understanding is wrong?" This is when I'll desire to just, go away and sit under a tree and be silent. Because the last thing I want is to hurt others in any way, shape or form; not only physically, but (even moreso) spiritually hurt them. And if there's a chance, I don't want to take it.

But when I go to do this, and be alone, and sit by myself in silence; suddenly everything around me starts sending the message "You need to go back" "She needs your help" "Stop running" "You can't keep silent" "You have to fight" "They're trying to hurt her" and I'm deluged by this, and I can't ignore it. "What if this understanding is right?" This is compelling me to not keep silent. I find myself caught between "What if speaking is hurting her?" and "What if keeping silent is hurting her?" By "her" I mean, the "Bride"; the innocent/young in Christ. If what I'm lead to understand is true, then I have to help her. I have to protect her from the ones trying to capture her and put her in shackles, and hurt her spirit.

I feel spiritually assaulted from every side, I feel spiritually bloodied and battered from constant spiritual warring against false teachings, I feel tired, and alone, and exhausted. I just want to be left alone, to myself, to live out my days in solitude and silence. But right when I'm about to say "Enough, I'm done with this" someone will post a video like:

And I see more than just surface imagery: I see a message saying "You can't leave, she needs your help" (mix this with about a thousand other messages being thrown at me at the same time) and all I can do is, keep fighting, pray that God is directing my every step, and fight until the end. One may look at that video and see, a fiction; I look at it and see, an allegory of a spiritual war of teachers that says "Don't abandon her"; so, even though I would want to leave, I'm compelled to remain. Couple this with the fact that as I'm lead to understand, we're on the verge of an event like no other. And I'm just compelled to try to help her through this time.

And, remember, you asked.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Here's my thought:
Many people have used the bible for completely wrong purposes. Dangerous interpretations have been made time and again, even leading to wars in the most extreme cases. I know that this is really the most extreme of cases, but it has the same principle: a person, using the scriptures to influence and sometimes control other people into doing wrong.

So this is my question: Do you think that not all people should read the bible, as some people may become confuse by what's written in it, and possibly even use it to do wrong?

I realize that the bible is a pretty useful tool in getting to know God, but I don't believe that it is the only way.

I hope I'm not offending anyone by saying this.

The benefit of reading Bible is based on having faith. A person with no faith can read the Bible, but it is not helpful to the person. Who am I to say you should not read the Bible?

Reactions: Femina
Upvote 0

Jon Goode

Nov 10, 2016
Lisbon
✟8,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know that I should sit and be silent. I take the scripture very seriously, and I believe that false teaching - even with the best of intentions - is a great sin against the truth. One of the greatest sins of all. It's tantamount to spiritual murder in that you can kill someone's spirit; you can unintentionally wreck spiritual destruction, you can kill people's faith and hope if you're teaching what isn't true. This is a serious crime against God. I look at what I'm saying from every conceivable angle afforded me, and all I conclude is, what I'm lead to understand is the truth. But then there is the thought "What if the understanding is wrong?" What if?

No matter how certain I am of this understanding, I look around and think, "They all believe their understanding is right; and if I look at them and say 'They think they're right; but they are wrong' can't the same be true of me?" Even though I look at everyone else and conclude "Clearly none of them have done their homework; they're all just looking at a few scriptures and repeating what they've been taught to believe; nothing they understand is true" I have to look at my self and think, "Couldn't I be the same, what if this understanding is wrong?" This is when I'll desire to just, go away and sit under a tree and be silent. Because the last thing I want is to hurt others in any way, shape or form; not only physically, but (even moreso) spiritually hurt them. And if there's a chance, I don't want to take it.

But when I go to do this, and be alone, and sit by myself in silence; suddenly everything around me starts sending the message "You need to go back" "She needs your help" "Stop running" "You can't keep silent" "You have to fight" "They're trying to hurt her" and I'm deluged by this, and I can't ignore it. "What if this understanding is right?" This is compelling me to not keep silent. I find myself caught between "What if speaking is hurting her?" and "What if keeping silent is hurting her?" By "her" I mean, the "Bride"; the innocent/young in Christ. If what I'm lead to understand is true, then I have to help her. I have to protect her from the ones trying to capture her and put her in shackles, and hurt her spirit.

I feel spiritually assaulted from every side, I feel spiritually bloodied and battered from constant spiritual warring against false teachings, I feel tired, and alone, and exhausted. I just want to be left alone, to myself, to live out my days in solitude and silence. But right when I'm about to say "Enough, I'm done with this" someone will post a video like:

And I see more than just surface imagery: I see a message saying "You can't leave, she needs your help" (mix this with about a thousand other messages being thrown at me at the same time) and all I can do is, keep fighting, pray that God is directing my every step, and fight until the end. One may look at that video and see, a fiction; I look at it and see, an allegory of a spiritual war of teachers that says "Don't abandon her"; so, even though I would want to leave, I'm compelled to remain. Couple this with the fact that as I'm lead to understand, we're on the verge of an event like no other. And I'm just compelled to try to help her through this time.

And, remember, you asked.

You described exactly what I feel. In fact, it resemble my own thoughts so much, I could have said it myself.

Here's a question: how do you feel one should proceed about talking about God to a really narrow-minded atheist? Sometimes, I get the feeling that it might not be the right time, this person isn't in the right state of mind right now. She isn't in the right place in her life to open up to this right now. I feel like I could actually be doing wrong by speaking to them about God, as that could potentially repel them even further away from the idea.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Also, see these verses: 2 Kings 25:1, Jeremiah 52:4, Ezekiel 24:1-2 The king of Babel is the one and only person in the entire scripture to have the exact day and month of his coming recorded in scripture. He was sent by God to exact judgment upon the people of God, and to seige the holy city and burn it with fire, and carry the holy people away into captivity in Babel.

The next Tevet 10 is on Januray 8, 2017. Am I saying, something will happen on Januray 8, 2017? No; but I'm also not saying, nothing will happen. But, just, keep watch on Tevet 10 at all times, every year. The Lord didn't command that day and month to be recorded thrice for nothing: Ecclesiastes 1:9

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You described exactly what I feel. In fact, it resemble my own thoughts so much, I could have said it myself.

Here's a question: how do you feel one should proceed about talking about God to a really narrow-minded atheist? Sometimes, I get the feeling that it might not be the right time, this person isn't in the right state of mind right now. She isn't in the right place in her life to open up to this right now. I feel like I could actually be doing wrong by speaking to them about God, as that could potentially repel them even further away from the idea.

I'm personally not lead to those outside of the covenant of the churches of Christ; but to those inside. I feel that the problems outside of the churches are a form of reactive result of false teachings in the churches. It's a bit like a mind-body relationship with the church being the mind, and those outside the church being the body. To heal the body, first heal the mind. Heal the mind, and the body will come into alignment and everything will harmonize in love.

So I go to them within the church, to my own household. I rarely interact with those outside unless a specific question arises into my attention, then I'll address it, as it seems to have been given to me. But I don't go out of my way to address those outside of the churches. I'm lead to focus on reparations of the temple of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here's my thought:
Many people have used the bible for completely wrong purposes. Dangerous interpretations have been made time and again, even leading to wars in the most extreme cases. I know that this is really the most extreme of cases, but it has the same principle: a person, using the scriptures to influence and sometimes control other people into doing wrong.

So this is my question: Do you think that not all people should read the bible, as some people may become confuse by what's written in it, and possibly even use it to do wrong?

I realize that the bible is a pretty useful tool in getting to know God, but I don't believe that it is the only way.

When you cannot avoid this question
Here's my thought:

The bible is interesting.

If you want a vengeful warring god, you will find him.
If you want a religious god with a British accent who listens to country gospel-you'll find him.
If you want a white Republican Christian god who will send liberals to hell...yup...he is there, too.
If you want a kind, benevolent God who is teaching us in this life to reject Satan and gravitate towards His divine love for all the creation and the ...well, this God is a bit harder to find, but trust the Shempster....He is there too.

Reactions: Te're'sa
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟576,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the Middle Ages, the institutional church would often persecute people and kill them even if they dared read the Bible for themselves

I don't believe that's true.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's my thought:

Everyone should read the bible, how can you have faith if you do not read and hear the word of God?

People who twist the word of God are probably not saved and do not have the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the Middle Ages, the institutional church would often persecute people and kill them even if they dared read the Bible for themselves, "in case" they differed in their views from the position of the clerical monopoly.

The Lord Jesus said: "Thy Word is truth" (John 17.17). Freedom under law; the development of modern science in the 17 century: these came about in connection with freedom of conscience.

Enough said.

That would be a perfect example of evil men using the bible for their agenda....i.e we all know who.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,245,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I think you are starting to walk down a Catholic path. You might want to consider the cost of doing so, just to be fair to yourself. It might be more than you want to do.

If you dare, after that, explore what Vatican II said about all of this in a document called 'Dei Verbum', (http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_...ents/vat-ii_const_19651118_dei-verbum_en.html) and additionally 'The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church', (https://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/PBCINTER.htm) and 'The Jewish People and their Sacred Scriptures in the Christian Bible' (http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/c...on_cfaith_doc_20020212_popolo-ebraico_en.html).

In gathering URLs for this, I discovered 'The Bible and Morality: Biblical Roots of Christian Conduct' (http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/c...n_cfaith_doc_20080511_bibbia-e-morale_en.html) which I will be reading in the next few days.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟576,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is well documented by history. Just because you do not believe it does not mean it has not happened.

Not true!

The Council of Toulouse was a local council set up to deal with the Albigensian/Manichean heresy in southern France. There were re-scripted bibles, produced by Muslim Moors, with defective translations that contained information such as Jesus not being crucified.

All bibles were ordered to be turned in and were burned to protect the integrity of the scriptures.

...Were you talking about this or is there something else youre referring to?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟576,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That would be a perfect example of evil men using the bible for their agenda....i.e we all know who.

Except for that it didn't happen that way at all. Those "evil" men protected the word of God from being altered into the word of the heretics. Like a copyright, they stopped the production of bad bibles by use of the law. Which was a good thing.

Upvote 0