Nov 10, 2016
Lisbon
✟8,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's my thought:
Many people have used the bible for completely wrong purposes. Dangerous interpretations have been made time and again, even leading to wars in the most extreme cases. I know that this is really the most extreme of cases, but it has the same principle: a person, using the scriptures to influence and sometimes control other people into doing wrong.

So this is my question: Do you think that not all people should read the bible, as some people may become confuse by what's written in it, and possibly even use it to do wrong?

I realize that the bible is a pretty useful tool in getting to know God, but I don't believe that it is the only way.

I hope I'm not offending anyone by saying this.

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's my thought:
Many people have used the bible for completely wrong purposes. Dangerous interpretations have been made time and again, even leading to wars in the most extreme cases. I know that this is really the most extreme of cases, but it has the same principle: a person, using the scriptures to influence and sometimes control other people into doing wrong.

So this is my question: Do you think that not all people should read the bible, as some people may become confuse by what's written in it, and possibly even use it to do wrong?

I realize that the bible is a pretty useful tool in getting to know God, but I don't believe that it is the only way.

The Word is called the "sword of the Spirit": Ephesians 6:17: and a "sharp and two-edged sword": Revelation 1:16, Revelation 19:15 - like any sword, it can be used for good and for evil: to hurt, or, to heal: to enslave, or, to liberate. It's a dangerous weapon, and the scripture says: Revelation 13:10. The apostle warns of the great judgement awaiting all who teach: James 3:1, and that they walk a fine line between being helpful, and, being hurtful: Jeremiah 23:1-2

I feel that anyone teaching (as opposed to asking questions, or, discussing - but matter-of-factly teaching "this is what the Bible means") is undertaking the most serious of endeavors, which can have dramatic effects on the lives of them that hear: it is something that should be done with great trepidation. I do feel that a great many take this lightly, not understanding some very very serious ramifications in what is being done.

Personally, I do not myself even like being in these situations. I would rather sit under a tree in silence all my days. But I feel compelled to do and say the things I say, in order that it may help others. I'm placing myself in the trust of God, because I almost seem to be in places such as this against my actual will; which will is to say nothing at all, and keep silent, so that I may be sure no one can be caused to stumble at the words. But, here I am. It doesn't seem I have a choice in the matter.

Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
People are easily confused in regards to reading the Bible. If they are to do well though, then they will.

Something like this might be in the heart and minds of the people.
You don't know what evil they chose to be lost in certain things.
Have it be upon their own heads, and don't judge them.

Upvote 0

Femina

Nov 4, 2016
Australia
✟15,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Here's my thought:

Hi, if you replace the word 'bible' with 'food' you will have my answer to your question...

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here's my thought:

In the Middle Ages, the institutional church would often persecute people and kill them even if they dared read the Bible for themselves, "in case" they differed in their views from the position of the clerical monopoly.

The Lord Jesus said: "Thy Word is truth" (John 17.17). Freedom under law; the development of modern science in the 17 century: these came about in connection with freedom of conscience.

Enough said.

• Agree
Reactions: Isaiah4031
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi, if you replace the word 'bible' with 'food' you will have my answer to your question...
The Word of God is indeed the believer's daily food.

Anne Steele (1716-1778) wrote:

"O may these hallowed pages be
My ever dear delight.
And still new beauties may I see,
And still increasing light.

Divine Instructor, gracious Lord,
Be Thou forever near;
Teach me to love Thy sacred Word
And view my Savior here."

Upvote 0

Jon Goode

Nov 10, 2016
Lisbon
✟8,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I do not myself even like being in these situations. I would rather sit under a tree in silence all my days. But I feel compelled to do and say the things I say, in order that it may help others. I'm placing myself in the trust of God, because I almost seem to be in places such as this against my actual will; which will is to say nothing at all, and keep silent, so that I may be sure no one can be caused to stumble at the words. But, here I am. It doesn't seem I have a choice in the matter.

Could you explain what you mean by this?

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's my thought:

These problems are incorrectly thought of as being from the Bible. They are problems with the person. How could anyone with a peaceful heart cause harm with the Bible if he considered himself a novice student, recognized he didn't understand it, and only sought to understand it and God better in the ways and at the times God decided?

Upvote 0

Jon Goode

Nov 10, 2016
Lisbon
✟8,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These problems are incorrectly thought of as being from the Bible. They are problems with the person. How could anyone with a peaceful heart cause harm with the Bible if he considered himself a novice student, recognized he didn't understand it, and only sought to understand it and God better in the ways and at the times God decided?

I'll give an example. My grandmothers believed, through what she has read, that someone who goes to the doctor when he's sick, doesn't have faith, because if you truly have faith in God, than he will cure your disease and you won't need a doctor. I know that she means well, she just interprets some passages too literally. But still, if get something as simple as pneumonia and don't seek a doctor's care, there's a high chance you could die. I'm not saying that it is impossible for God to cure your disease, I'm saying that he works in mysterious ways, and maybe, he works through the hands of a doctor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'll give an example. My grandmothers believed, through what she has read, that someone who goes to the doctor when he's sick, doesn't have faith, because if you truly have faith in God, than he will cure your disease and you won't need a doctor. I know that she means well, she just interprets some passages too literally. But still, if get something as simple as pneumonia and don't seek a doctor's care, there's a high chance you could die. I'm not saying that it is impossible for God to cure your disease, I'm saying that he works in mysterious ways, and maybe, he works through the hands of a doctor.
Yes, I understand that all kinds of harm are done in the name of Scripture (just as it is in other religions). It's not the fault of the Bible, though. She presumed she understood something, instead of presuming she didn't. I understand that sometimes things seem clear enough to act on, but that's why God wants us to have elders, and commanded us to make disciples, not just hand them a Bible or be satisfied if they are going to church.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Simple.
Do you think we should forbid people to have water every day,
since some people will drown ?
Some people will even drown other people..... so if we just take water away from everyone, that will stop.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
-And sometimes through the Good Physician...
Every good gift is from above. Every healing. Every truth.
The world's doctors, carnal, serve money and serve idols like pharmakeia.
The doctors (few there are) who serve YHWH
heal people easily every day.
Those others continue making people more and more dependent and often more ill.

Reactions: Femina
Upvote 0

Jon Goode

Nov 10, 2016
Lisbon
✟8,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Simple.
Do you think we should forbid people to have water every day,
since some people will drown ?
Some people will even drown other people..... so if we just take water away from everyone, that will stop.

I didn't say that we should take access to the bible away from anyone. I only said that a few people might get confused by its meaning, and therefore should probably stay away from it. Also, note that I'm not affirming this is the right thing to do. I'm only writing down my thoughts so that we can have a discussion about it.

Every good gift is from above. Every healing. Every truth.
The world's doctors, carnal, serve money and serve idols like pharmakeia.
The doctors (few there are) who serve YHWH
heal people easily every day.
Those others continue making people more and more dependent and often more ill.

So you believe that every non-christian doctor works for the money and the profit of pharmaceutics?
Don't you believe that God can use non-believers to do good?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
This is a lie that started almost 2000 years ago,
NOT because YHWH'S WORD would confuse anyone,
but BECAUSE it sets them free !

I only said that a few people might get confused by its meaning, and therefore should probably stay away from it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Non-christian doctor's if they do what is right, may do a lot better than christian doctors....
Religion often makes them worse ! (like in Jesus day; i.e. that hasn't changed)
So you believe that every non-christian doctor works for the money and the profit of pharmaceutics?
Don't you believe that God can use non-believers to do good?
Who controls and buries the preventions and remedies that work,
and who promotes excessively expensive profits even for things that don't work ? (the system, not the individuals)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jon Goode

Nov 10, 2016
Lisbon
✟8,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a lie that started almost 2000 years ago,
NOT because YHWH'S WORD would confuse anyone,
but BECAUSE it sets them free !

Personally, I'd say that someone who refuses to go to the doctor because they think they're betraying their faith by doing so, is pretty confused.

Non-christian doctor's if they do what is right, may do a lot better than christian doctors....
Religion often makes them worse ! (like in Jesus day; i.e. that hasn't changed)

I don't understand, first you say that the doctors of this world serve money and idols like pharmaceutics, now you're saying that they do better than a lot of christian doctors? You're invalidating your previous argument, which I think was that most doctors only serve money anyway, so you shouldn't bother seeking their care.
I don't understand if you're actually agreeing with my analogy or not. Because now it sounds to me like you're saying that there are a lot of doctors who do good, and so you should go get treated by them.

Who controls and buries the preventions and remedies that work,
and who promotes excessively expensive profits even for things that don't work ? (the system, not the individuals)

You're right, the pharma industry controls the medications. However, you could also say that God controls which products work and which don't. So if you're faithful, you could even be getting treated with highly addictive and destructive drugs, and you would still be cured (which is probably what my grandmother would say).

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So ?
What faith says to go to the wrong doctor,
and
what faith says to go to the right doctor ?
Personally, I'd say that someone who refuses to go to the doctor because they think they're betraying their faith by doing so, is pretty confused.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"IF YOU'RE FAITHFUL"
key point.

You're right, the pharma industry controls the medications. However, you could also say that God controls which products work and which don't. So if you're faithful, you could even be getting treated with highly addictive and destructive drugs, and you would still be cured (which is probably what my grandmother would say).

Possibly wise and faithful grandmother !

Bigpharma is NOT FAITHFUL nor true.
It is written that it deceives the whole world.

So to be faithful, you have to find a doctor that's not controlled by them, not serving them, and not deceived by them.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No.
The so-called 'Christian' doctors do.
Often worse than the non-Christian doctors.

the doctors of this world serve money and idols like pharmaceutics, now you're saying that they do better than a lot of christian doctors?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No, no matter where you go,
there are only "FEW" anything who even know what is right.
Doctors included.
Because now it sounds to me like you're saying that there are a lot of doctors who do good, and so you should go get treated by them.

Upvote 0