Aug 5, 2008
Idaho
✟91,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes.

I was in California on a trip from my home in Florida where I often visited Walt Disney World, so I wanted to check out Disneyland.

While in line at the Haunted Mansion this pretty young blonde kept annoying me with questions about where I was from, why I was visiting, etc. My usual stand-offish self was quote put aback by her assumed familiarity. ;)

When the elevator in the Haunted Mansion started its descending trick, she squealed and grabbed my arm, insisting that she ride with me for the duration of the visit in the Haunted Mansion. She had attended Disneyland many times and appointed herself my tour guide for the remainder of my few hours in the park before my plane back to Florida. Thirty two years later we are still quite the Disney lovers.

My wife has been mentally and physically ill for the past ten years, requiring 24/7 monitoring by me and my live-in son. Nevertheless, not a day passes that I do not thank God for His providence in bringing her into my life. Of late, Valerie has more bad days than good, but the good days, when I see a hint of that annoying pretty girl peppering me with questions in Disneyland, everything else seems so inconsequential. Not a day passes that she does not make me want to be a better man.

Thanks for sharing! :hug:

I'm praying for you and your wife and for your son. :prayer:

Last edited:
Reactions: AMR
Upvote 0

*Charis*

*Psalm 36:9*
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
What a great idea to open a place to get to know
the chaplains a bit!

dr.stevej~ I have a few collections myself (classic books, swan figurines) but
have given more time and effort to a 'collection' of classic toys (as a new
grandparent).

For some time now I have wanted to build a cob cottage, and with 2 little
grandsons... I may actually see this happen (with their help).

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Welcome *Charis*, I had to google cob cottage. Looks pretty cool. I am a book collector too.

I also collect the little plastic baby Jesus pieces they put in King Cakes around here.

exps47350_TH1789927D76.jpeg

I admit that is a bit of a strange hobby, but my wife made a necklace using them... even stranger.

25b0c0a3c121ba96c4188a34a51bab15.jpg

No one wears it in public, too easily misunderstood.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Little baby Jesus pieces? What are those for?

A popular Epiphany season custom in New Orleans and southern Louisiana is the baking of a special cake in honor of the three kings, called "A King's Cake."

Inside every king cake is a tiny baby (generally plastic now, but sometimes this baby might be made of porcelain or even gold). The tradition of having King Cake Parties has evolved over time, and the person who receives the slice of cake with the baby is asked to continue the festivities by hosting the next King Cake party.

Many bakeries do not put the baby in the cake for safety/law suit reasons, but include them separately to be inserted by the buyer.

King Cakes are tasty. The little plastic Jesuses are something that struck me as strange when I moved to Louisiana. The cakes are only sold for several weeks around Epiphany.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
wow that is neat! What great stories :) Never knew that about our chaplains ;)

We collect ....something boring and that is books...My house is full of them. Friends buy us theological books! After hubby published his book we even have a big stock of them taking more space...

I collect also old small furniture and I re-vamp them either to sell them (rarely) or I give them for charity auctions and art shows. I also collect baskets that I redecorate also and give them as presents or to charity. I do not have any space for anything else... My basement is full of canvases and arts& crafts stuff and of course we have like 10 big bookcases of books...It is a chore to dust and keep up... We are about to get more bookcases this weekend.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
PM me with the info on hubby's book, I'm interested in checking it out.

When we moved to Louisiana ir took 64 book boxes to box my library. When I retired recently I donated about 850 volumes to the church as a pastoral reference library. I still am loaded with books.

I tried a few "art" projects" but no one noticed.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
PM me with the info on hubby's book, I'm interested in checking it out.

When we moved to Louisiana ir took 64 book boxes to box my library. When I retired recently I donated about 850 volumes to the church as a pastoral reference library. I still am loaded with books.

I tried a few "art" projects" but no one noticed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes.

I was in California on a trip from my home in Florida where I often visited Walt Disney World, so I wanted to check out Disneyland.

While in line at the Haunted Mansion this pretty young blonde kept annoying me with questions about where I was from, why I was visiting, etc. My usual stand-offish self was quote put aback by her assumed familiarity. ;)

When the elevator in the Haunted Mansion started its descending trick, she squealed and grabbed my arm, insisting that she ride with me for the duration of the visit in the Haunted Mansion. She had attended Disneyland many times and appointed herself my tour guide for the remainder of my few hours in the park before my plane back to Florida. Thirty two years later we are still quite the Disney lovers.

My wife has been mentally and physically ill for the past ten years, requiring 24/7 monitoring by me and my live-in son. Nevertheless, not a day passes that I do not thank God for His providence in bringing her into my life. Of late, Valerie has more bad days than good, but the good days, when I see a hint of that annoying pretty girl peppering me with questions in Disneyland, everything else seems so inconsequential. Not a day passes that she does not make me want to be a better man.

That's beautiful. :)

Upvote 0

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Welcome? What's on your mind?

I am a lifelong collector of all sorts of things including: baseball cards, RC Cola / Nehi memorabilia, and bobbleheads. My daughter gave me this bobblehead of me.

What items do you collect?

Hmm well, I've collected porcelain dolls for a bit and music and some movies.

My favourite doll thus far is this one, "Little Girl With a Curl" and it comes with a broken clay flower pot:

il_570xN.464512939_tubi.jpg

Upvote 0