The "Catholic" Ten Commandments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2002 Christian

Mar 12, 2002
USA
✟897.00
Are you two always trying to discredit or criticize my posts when I come over to this section (One Bread, One Body...)?

The 4th Commandment can be discussed on THIS thread. Look how much ZooMom has posted about it earlier!

"This thread is about the numbering and/or omission of the Ten Commandments in Catholic teaching." How much more specific is the omission of the correct day and the commandment numbering change (from 4th to 3rd)?

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by 2002 Christian
Are you two always trying to discredit or criticize my posts when I come over to this section (One Bread, One Body...)?
No. Why would you think that?

The 4th Commandment can be discussed on THIS thread. Look how much ZooMom has posted about it earlier!
*IF* it is relative to whether or not the Sabbath Commandment is included in the Catholic reckoning (which it is), and *IF* people will realize that inflexibly assigning numerals to certain parts of the Commandments as if that is what God intended (which He did not)is not only laughable, but ignorant. The numbers do not change the content of the Commandments, nor do they serve any purpose but convenience.

"This thread is about the numbering and/or omission of the Ten Commandments in Catholic teaching." How much more specific is the omission of the correct day and the commandment numbering change (from 4th to 3rd)?
I already said that some people may disagree with the way the Church interprets the Commandments, and that's fine. 'Saturday' is not to be found in the Commandments, or anywhere else in the Bible for that matter. The 'number change' comment has already been addressed by me, so I won't respond to it again.

My posts were meant to show that the Church does not scrimp or 'shave' anything from any of the Commandments. They were not intended as an invitation to debate each interpretation separately. The Sabbath observance is indeed a topic unto itself and would be better served in another thread solely for that purpose.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From the New American (or Catholic) Bible...

Exodus
Chapter 20:1 Then God delivered all these commandments:
2 "I, the LORD, am your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery.
You shall not have other gods besides me.
You shall not carve idols for yourselves in the shape of anything in the sky above or on the earth below or in the waters beneath the earth;
5 you shall not bow down before them or worship them. For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishment for their fathers' wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation;
but bestowing mercy down to the thousandth generation, on the children of those who love me and keep my commandments.
"You shall not take the name of the LORD, your God, in vain. For the LORD will not leave unpunished him who takes his name in vain.
"Remember to keep holy the sabbath day.
Six days you may labor and do all your work,
but the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD, your God. No work may be done then either by you, or your son or daughter, or your male or female slave, or your beast, or by the alien who lives with you.
In six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them; but on the seventh day he rested. That is why the LORD has blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.
"Honor your father and your mother, that you may have a long life in the land which the LORD, your God, is giving you.
"You shall not kill.
"You shall not commit adultery.
"You shall not steal.
"You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
"You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male or female slave, nor his ox or ***, nor anything else that belongs to him."

And Moses didn't write the Commandments on the stones. God did.

Exodus 31:18
When the Lord finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the Testimony, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God.

Upvote 0

onesheep

Sheep that looks like Bob
Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Julie
Did/Could someone post the Catholic 10 commandments that Moses wrote on stone?
Julie :pink:
To quote a Messianic Jewish friend of mine, "There are no 10 commandments." God wrote the commandments on stone. No chapter and verse, no numbers. Simply commandments to follow.

Upvote 0

2002 Christian

Mar 12, 2002
USA
✟897.00
Deuteronomy 10:4
The Lord wrote on these tablets what he had written before, the Ten Commandments he had proclaimed to you on the mountain, out of the fire, on the day of the assembly. And the Lord gave them to me.

Obviously, they were numbered. God knew the numbering, and so did Moses and the Israelites.

As a Catholic child, I learned the 10 Commandments from the catechism, not from the Bible. The catechism worded things differently.

yorguide.jpg

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Obviously, they were numbered. God knew the numbering, and so did Moses and the Israelites.
Why do you say 'obviously'? Are the Commandments numbered in Scripture or not? Were they numbered in the original texts, or the surviving copies of the original texts? If you think God gives a hoot about whether you put a '3' or a '4' in front of the Sabbath Commandment, then you are laboring under a misconception. The Commandments were written as text, or prose. Not in a list, neatly margined and numbered on two tombstone shaped tablets ala Charlton Heston. Get real.

As a Catholic child, I learned the 10 Commandments from the catechism, not from the Bible. The catechism worded things differently.
Not really. The Catechism merely explains Catholic thought and teaching as regards Divine Revelation. The Scripture is there, as are the Councils, theologians, Doctors, and Saints that have helped the Church grow in her understanding of same. I learned that as a Catholic adult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
2002Christian, please present the evidence that it makes a blooming difference what number is in front of which Commandment. And do it from Scripture, since your cute little image in your last post makes such a point of sneering at tradition.

Upvote 0

kern

Miserere Nobis
Apr 14, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
✟3,249.00
Faith
Catholic

p.s. The image isn't sneering. Are you?

The point is that you are posting in the One Bread, One Body forum, which is for Catholics. You can post here if you are not Catholic, but you cannot start the tradition vs. scripture debate here, you'll have to do that in Interfaith Discussion (or whatever it's called now).

-Chris

Upvote 0

2002 Christian

Mar 12, 2002
USA
✟897.00
Are you telling the world that the Jews didn't know how to number the 10 Commandments? And that they had to wait until the Catholic Church came on the scene thousands of years later to tell them the 4th Commandment really was the 3rd and that the 2nd Commandment really was not a Commandment at all? That the 10th Commandment really was two commandments (9 & 10)? That the sabbath of the LORD is to be observed 24 hours later?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm telling you that the Church doesn't care how you number the Commandments as long as you have them all! I'm telling you that you don't have to agree with the Church's interpretation of the Commandments *or* the way she numbers them, and that *still* doesn't make the Church wrong!

Do this for me. Post the first Commandment as you know it. Just the first one, in it's entirety, with no embellishments. Please.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Catechism isn't 'part of tradition', it's an explanation of the Church's beliefs which derive from divine Revelation, both Scripture and Tradition. So your understanding of the Catechism is flawed. And if you were taught from the Catechism, then you were taught the Catholic understanding of the Scriptures, as the Catechism is replete with Scriptural notes and references for those who wish to read the full context of the Scriptures that are being explained, if they are not already provided. And if you want to keep clinging to a child's understanding of Doctrine in order to 'prove' the Church wrong, then you are in for some serious bumps in the road.

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
I really don't think it matters what number goes in where.
What raised my eyebrows as a kid and a young adult is that the 10 commandments listed in my NAB bible....you know on a seprate insert...graven images are not mentioned.
Thou shall have no other gods before me is pretty important.
I hate to see you guys get all nasty about this...this includes 2002 christian.
I would like to know the whole point of the debate on the commandments?!?!
:scratch:
GEL

Upvote 0

Kotton

Feb 8, 2002
Kansas
Visit site
✟20,964.00
Faith
Catholic
In children's catechisms (or a page in your bible) the commandments are abreviated for easier comprehension.
Thou shall have no other gods before me is pretty important.
Yes, and we were taught that the idols were other gods to the pagans. Many such issues are explained indepth as we gain in age and knowledge. It's just simpler for young children to have a shorter version.

Any debate was WHY the numbering was different.

Kotton :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.