The Catholic Church Has a Visible White-Power Faction: An Orthodox Problem As Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A quote to read, making the appropriate changes:

THE THREAT IS not that white nationalists will take over the Catholic Church. The threat is that the Catholic Church harbors a culture sufficiently friendly to white nationalism that people can comfortably embrace both the faith and the most extreme forms of racial hatred. As long as Catholics can be found in neo-Nazi groups, as long as Atomwaffen members can dub themselves Catholicwaffen or receive Communion after murdering Jewish people, something in the church itself poses a concrete danger to Jews and people of color.
Though that murder thing hasn't happened here among the Orthodox.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That this evil business is tolerated is far worse than the apparent tolerance of sexual sin that is so often complained about.

Anyone who feels attracted to whatever is or appears positive in one of these groups (notions of family, etc) should read a couple dozen accounts about crying infants bayoneted to shut them up moments before their helpless parents and siblings were shot and thrown into a pit. About the guys who were drafted into the Soviet Army and came back, after the war, to their village...to find that literally everyone there had been murdered by the invading Nazis. And countless other things.

There's nothing positive or okay about this. There just isn't. If you are attracted to Nazi ideology, you need spiritual help pronto.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The trouble with this is that it mixes and matches things as equal that are not. And then it conflates it to imply that the teachings of either Church approve any racism, support of Nazism, etc., and furthermore, pretends that there is not a political movement among members of the Catholic and Orthodox Churches to treat racism as one of the most fundamental threats to Christian behavior and achieve political power in the nation via ostensible condemnation of racism.

The swastika is not equal to the noose is not equal to the Confederate flag. Of them, only the swastika legitimately rates universal condemnation. The noose has been used for evil murder of innocents; it has also been used to hang actual rapists and murderers. The Confederate flag stood for more than slavery; only a fool would believe that the average Johnny Reb went to fight and die to preserve slavery.

Black Lives Matter is equally a movement trying to establish a foothold in the aforementioned Churches, seeking to attain political power in this world which it will then use to tyrannize ordinary people and throw the foolish idealists who flocked to its banner under the bus, just as the Stalinists threw the idealist Bolsheviks into prison and executed them.

There may be actual KKK and actual white supremacists in the Orthodox Church. But they are hiding, and will continue to do so, and hide they should. There are also actual racists promoting BLM and black supremacy hiding in the Church, and they should equally continue to do so and feel just as much shame as the white supremacists.

Please take this racist stuff out of our forum.

Upvote 0

Brighid

Jan 27, 2020
Texas
✟23,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seconded.
Please, please, please, I work hard to keep my physical and mental environment as free of hate as possible and this guy is continually bringing it up. Do these hateful and racist posts really belong in an Orthodox forum?

• Agree
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Please, please, please, I work hard to keep my physical and mental environment as free of hate as possible and this guy is continually bringing it up. Do these hateful and racist posts really belong in an Orthodox forum?
You could report the hateful comments you're referring to, I agree they aren't helpful.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't see how you can go from the article which is all about Catholicism's neo-Nazi problem to suggesting that the Eastern Orthodox Church has a "White Power" faction, too. Based on what? Nothing presented in the OP or since, as far as I can see. I don't think this thread really belongs here, since not only is racism gross, but also the people who are in a place to do something about its manifestation in the Roman Catholic Church aren't even located on this board, and wouldn't be allowed to speak freely if they came here (depending on what they'd say, of course; I doubt anyone on OBOB would have anything good to say about the existence of racist Catholics). I think this thread should be locked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They don't see them as racist. They imagine that they are fighting racism. They take real injustices, which they rightly wish to stop, and inflate them to a point where they can't see anything else.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I mean, a couple years ago Fr John Whiteford felt compelled to write this article which we should all agree with because of certain attitudes floating around in some Orthodox circles - Fr. John Whiteford: Interracial Marriage and the Orthodox Faith - and got attacked by certain sorts for it. This isn't an illusory or made-up problem.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I mean, a couple years ago Fr John Whiteford felt compelled to write this article which we should all agree with because of certain attitudes floating around in some Orthodox circles - Fr. John Whiteford: Interracial Marriage and the Orthodox Faith - and got attacked by certain sorts for it. This isn't an illusory or made-up problem.
I'm curious as to why ”we should all agree?” I see an assumption based on the mind of man, instead of the Mind of God in this post (and thread). I disagree with your ethic gzt and do not believe it is in line with the Mind of Christ.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm curious as to why ”we should all agree?” I see an assumption based on the mind of man, instead of the Mind of God in this post (and thread). I disagree with your ethic gzt and do not believe it is in line with the Mind of Christ.
Well, I mean, if you think that the Orthodox faith is opposed to inter-racial marriage? I certainly don't assert that every line of the article is beyond reproach, but I'm curious about your opposition to the article. Or if this would be your response even if that were a link to the Creed.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, I mean, if you think that the Orthodox faith is opposed to inter-racial marriage? I certainly don't assert that every line of the article is beyond reproach, but I'm curious about your opposition to the article. Or if this would be your response even if that were a link to the Creed.
The original post. I do realize the ”all should” was in reference to this article you posted. But, even then, it's an assumption that all agree with your viewpoint. In regard to the original post, I don't think it should be in our forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well, okay, do you think the Orthodox teaching is that inter-racial marriage is fine, or is it not fine? And if the former, do you think it's really a debatable issue, or is it a pretty open-and-shut issue? This is a bit of a digression from the original post, but Fr John Whiteford seems to think it's pretty obviously fine and that it's an open-and-shut case (and every mainstream Orthodox source I've seen concurs including everything I've seen any synod or individual bishop say), which is why I assume we all agree (admittedly, with my unenlightened "mind of man" rather than, shall we say, the "phronema"). If we don't all have this common ground, we have a problem!

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, okay, do you think the Orthodox teaching is that inter-racial marriage is fine, or is it not fine? And if the former, do you think it's really a debatable issue, or is it a pretty open-and-shut issue? This is a bit of a digression from the original post, but Fr John Whiteford seems to think it's pretty obviously fine and that it's an open-and-shut case (and every mainstream Orthodox source I've seen concurs including everything I've seen any synod or individual bishop say), which is why I assume we all agree (admittedly, with my unenlightened "mind of man" rather than, shall we say, the "phronema"). If we don't all have this common ground, we have a problem!
I don't see the connection here between the original post and this article by Fr. John.

Reactions: Xenophon
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I mean, a couple years ago Fr John Whiteford felt compelled to write this article which we should all agree with because of certain attitudes floating around in some Orthodox circles
We should all agree that a bishop marching with a politician who funded an abortion clinic sends an evil message.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.