Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I decided to post a thread where the OP is about my latest struggle against the You-tube search engine, which is almost like one of epic proportions like the labors of Hercules etc. only it is me at my computer.... :)

The set up

I got a habit of subscribing to video channels but also unsubscribing to prune my channel when things get a bit unwieldy and maybe after I watched a bit of a youtuber where I think I've seen all the videos they have that I'm interested in. I had an assumption that, I would be able to find them again, if I wanted to re-watch something months or more later.... Which use to be true, but not really true anymore, at least for those smaller channels. Even if you are good at working search engines, no longer true.

You-tube has been pushing the channels of famous people, from TV broad casters, and celebrities of the secular world, to those famous people of all ends of the Christian world. So the person that you use to watch that had a few thousand subscribers, is likely not going to appear in search engine searches if you are no longer subscribed to them instead you will get:

1) Lots of videos from big name people that fit your key words. If your looking for preaching and bible teaching expect big name people like Steve Furtik and Rick Warren etc.

2) Some videos from small time folks who I assume have paid You-tube to promote their video.

3) More videos from 1) but this time addressing some peripheral topics to your key word search.

4) More videos from various people where you will begin to scratch your head and ask yourself "What is this doing here?"

Epilogue

After battling several times with different key word searches, I did find my You-tuber! But I did it by scrolling through my history, I literally scrolled through about 2.5 weeks of You-tube videos to find him. And I watch a lot of You-tube, and not just for the videos, but I use You-tube videos in lieu of listening to the radio, CD's, and mp3 music, so I literally went through hundreds, maybe thousands of videos.....

So I guess the moral of the story is do not unsubscribe to those small time folks if you are tempted to do so... or you may encounter a situation like what I just gone through.

Last edited:

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Smaller channels are getting buried by the algorithm in favor of promoting mainstream content and "authoritative sources". Kind of wish they made their own site for that instead. What I like about Youtube is the personal quality.

Upvote 0

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
hehe, only 2,5 weeks, you are lucky. I do not search there for vids anymore, I paste links in word documents if they are important, and find them again that way. I do not log in anymore. I just register that the channels are hidden, and I must find them elsewhere. The smaller ones who fight, or go behind a paywall, so I must pay, but lose the social aspect. We still get crowder and the hodgetwins, to big to supress. Gab, minds, parler, and other options. You find them somewhere if they are still going

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0