mikeangel

Mar 7, 2017
usa
✟19,868.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was asked on another thread about what I thought about 1 Corinthians 11:24.

"On the night when He was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took bread, gave thanks, broke it, and said, "This is My body, which is for you. do this in remembrance of Me" In the same way, after supper He also took the cup and said,"This cup is the new covenant established in My blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me".

From the commentary's of a few early scholars, the Catholic church bases its whole mass on "the sacrifice of the mass" They say its not another sacrifice, but the same one re presented over and over by the priest, and during the mass the bread and wine is changed into the very body and blood of Christ. But, it is a bloodless sacrifice. Does anybody else see the contradiction in that? When I read Paul's letter to the Hebrews, it clearly states He was Sacrificed once, forever, period. He says nothing about bloodless sacrifices. Hebrews 9

"22 In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness. 23 It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with human hands that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God’s presence. 25 Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. 26 Otherwise Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But he has appeared once for all at the culmination of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, 28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him."

In the three verses, 26, 27, and 28, Once is there three times, and it directly relates to Christ' sacrifice. The Bible is so clear on this. As far as worship, the Bible is also so very clear on this too. Paul again,

Romans 12:1 (NIV)

A Living Sacrifice

"12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship."

Too clear to me. We are the living sacrifice. Christ in us being his hands to humanity. Having a sin nature in us but forgiven by Christ once and forever sacrifice to those who believe in him and love him.

NOW, all that being said, the protestant view, by and large, is that it is a commemorative memorial meal. "Do this in remembrance of me". it is not literally him. It was just to be a "remembrance" of his death and resurrection. But the Bible says, in Matthew chapter 26-

"26While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” 27Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins"

So how are these compatible? It seems to me that this is the first difference, and from there the whole body of Christ is divided, into hundreds of denominations and practices and beliefs. And true prophesying and miracles and manifested Power of God is inhibited from the division.

This is what I believe. Both Catholics and Protestants are right in their own way. In the Bible there are several lessons and parables and sayings that are either symbolic or literal. "love one another as I have loved you" and "Love God with your whole heart" are examples of literal commands. "If your eye is your downfall, gouge it out" and "

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple." are examples of symbolic lessons or commands. Here is what I believe the spirit tells me-Communion is both symbolic and literal. BOTH. You may ask "how can that be and why did God let this be interpreted like this ?" To me it has become simple. I have pondered the difference for years, and while reading about the CERN supercollider in Europe the answer came to me. The CERN supercollider was built by Physicist from around the world to find the "God Particle" . Not fantasy, fact. Read this

Large Hadron Collider - Wikipedia

The first sentence, "The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and most powerful particle collider, the largest, most complex experimental facility ever built, and the largest single machine in the world" , sums up how huge it is.

This "God particle" was a sub-atomic particle or force that was said to hold everything together. Why there are molecules. How matter is. They are trying to replicate the "Big Bang" and find out what happened in the creation of everything. VERY deep stuff that boggles the imagination. What this amounts to, is a modern day "Tower of Babel" of Men trying to define existence and creation. While this is a futile waste of Billions and Billions of dollars, it gave me insight into the nature of Christ in the Communion. Creation came through Christ. "All things were created through him" From the very beginning. The big Bang. HE is the force, the attraction, the reason and glue, that existence comes from. When he picked up the bread and wine and said it was his Body and Blood, He meant it. It was him as much as everything you see that has an atom or mass. He chose bread and wine because his disciples understood what he meant. That he was their very LIFE. If you do not have food and drink you die. If you do not have the Spirit of God and Jesus you die. It is both a symbol and literal. You bless bread and wine and give Thanks to God for it and remember his sons death and resurrection,( and know that one day you will share in it). Very complicated but very simple.

Why would God allow the last supper, a very deep and dear expression of his love for us, to be used to split Christendom? Because he knew that the "churches" would have slightly incomplete beliefs on it, and that at the Judgement, you will be placed in his Kingdom on the basis of how much you humbled yourself to humanity and him, as you were instructed to in scripture. Not how you practiced your rituals or traditions. Again, very simple. Amazing. Amazing Grace to the humble and meek. Not the so called educated and "righteous" . "The first will come last and the last will come first". Gods understanding and wisdom makes Einstein look stupid as a cow in comparison. Glory to God forever and ever. Amen.

I'll close with scripture that supports this. From Colossians 1-

" 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."

Peace and love to all. Me

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Here is what I believe the spirit tells me-Communion is both symbolic and literal. BOTH. You may ask "how can that be and why did God let this be interpreted like this ?" To me it has become simple. I have pondered the difference for years....
Here's what Jesus believes about the topic after spending some time preaching about it, it's in John 6:63.

Upvote 0

mikeangel

Mar 7, 2017
usa
✟19,868.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with anything Jesus says.

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Those words, along with all the other words of Jesus, are spirit and life. He is talking about our flesh profiting nothing. His flesh means everything, because it is everything. His flesh, and he, are the word made flesh, and he is sitting in heaven. Differentiating himself from the worthless flesh, which is ours.

Upvote 0

mikeangel

Mar 7, 2017
usa
✟19,868.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What sticks out the most about this Chapter to me, is just coincidentally, In 6:66, is where those who refuse to believe that they must eat his flesh and drink his blood to have life, refuse to believe him and leave. That also fits what I wrote above. If Jesus is everything, in truth, and you dont eat , you will die. And if you reject Jesus' claims about himself, you will spiritually die at the Judgement.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
IMHO, the OP covers so much ground that it's hard to know how to respond. One issue that I see is that the Mass as sacrifice--a purely Roman Catholic teaching--is separate from whether the elements (bread and wine) become, in some way, the real body and blood of Christ. Unlike the first issue, that's a belief held by most Christians.

Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Benedictine Traditional Catholic
Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me

This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist.

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they confess not the Eucharist to be the flesh of our SaviourJesus Christ, which suffered for our sins, and which the Father, of His goodness,raised up again. Those, therefore, who speak against this gift of God, incur death in the midst of their disputes"

-Saint Ignatius of Antioch disciple of the John the Apostal - circa AD 107

The reason i mention Saint Ignatius is because he was a disciple of John the Apostle thus he was taught the faith from st John himself so this teaching on the eucharist would have come from Jesus own apostle... and thats as about as heavyweight as you can get.

If you want to read what he says in context you can find it here

CHURCH FATHERS: Epistle to the Smyrnaeans (St. Ignatius)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I cant remember where I had heard this but there is a thought that there is only a single eternal Eucharist and that we partake of that Eucharist no matter what time or space we are in. As i recall, that is the idea of the sacrifice being re-presented.

• Winner
Reactions: mea kulpa
Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Benedictine Traditional Catholic
Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I cant remember where I had heard this but there is a thought that there is only a single eternal Eucharist and that we partake of that Eucharist no matter what time or space we are in. As i recall, that is the idea of the sacrifice being re-presented.

Yes thats correct god is eternal so christs sacrafice is eternal once and for all time. At the mass/divine liturgy we are at the foot of the cross... i mean this is poweful stuff coming at a time when judaic philosophical thought and greek philosophical thought were really widespread... there is nothing as deep or mystical in those two philosophies that could compete with this

Upvote 0