The big bang theory

• Thread starter healiheal242526
  • Start date
H

healiheal242526

Be been thinking in my own mind if the scientific theory of the big bang theory is real.

In the book of genesis it says " god said let there be light" and there was and it was good.

So my thorny is God said let there be light and our universe just went BOOM... As crazy as that sounds. So I think the big bang theory might be true but God caused that big bang.

I'm just curious what other people might think.

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Be been thinking in my own mind if the scientific theory of the big bang theory is real.

In the book of genesis it says " god said let there be light" and there was and it was good.

So my thorny is God said let there be light and our universe just went BOOM... As crazy as that sounds. So I think the big bang theory might be true but God caused that big bang.

I think I'm disappointed this thread isn't about the TV show. ^_^

Just kidding. If that is what happened, it would have destroyed everything God created the first three days, since He did not create light until the fourth day.

What I think of the "big bang" theory is this: God spoke, and ...

bang-21595208.jpg

... it happened!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
the big bang created the firmament on day 2
Verse 1, God created the heavens and the Earth. "Earth" in Hebrew is 'erets = land.
Verse 2, the Earth was formless and void. God had already created it, He just hadn't formed it into anything recognizable, so He proceeded to light it (v. 4) and then to form it (v. 6).

Upvote 0

sorednax

Champion of the 80's
Aug 11, 2011
East Ohio
✟7,957.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right, God created the Heavens and the Earth. Does not clash with the big bang theory at all. If by Earth he meant "the Earth" and the Heavens meaning "The Universe".

Interesting split between the BBT and Genesis, though. Science points out just how tiny and insignificant our lil' blue planet is in the universal scheme of things. Genesis illustrates just how significant we are here, with the whole of the universe (the heavens) God focused on us.

God's cool that way. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

anunbeliever

Veteran
Sep 8, 2004
✟8,986.00
Faith
Agnostic
If that is what happened, it would have destroyed everything God created the first three days, since He did not create light until the fourth day.
It says he created the Sun, moon and stars on day 4. Another translation is that the heavens became visible on day 4. He created light on day 1.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sorednax

Champion of the 80's
Aug 11, 2011
East Ohio
✟7,957.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Errr, the Universal pattern is a fail, from the beginning.

Liking the abyss to a black hole? A black hole is a center of incredibly strong gravity left over from a collapsed star. It would make more sense to liken the abyss to the void; the cosmos before the big bang.

Then God drew out light from the abyss? I thought the abyss was a black hole. Nothing escapes a black hole, not even light. Light doesn't come from a black hole, it goes into it.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi healiheal,

I certainly accept the 'big bang' as a descriptive phrase for God's creating, although I believe it should be noted that 'bang' doesn't necessarily mean 'noise'. Generally when people say 'bang it happened' concerning some event, they generally mean 'instantaneously'. I do believe that when God commanded something to happen in the creation event that it did, in fact, happen pretty instantaneously.

For example: When God said, "let there be light...", I don't believe that all the atoms and neutrons and other microscopic 'parts' of what we see today as 'light' had to sit around and say, "Uh, let's see. God has commanded that we become light. Hmmmm. How would we do that? Uh, let's try this. Um, nope, Ok let's do this. Hmmm, well what else is there? Oh, oh I got it, let's form like this. Yea, that's it, ok, we're light!"

Of course, the issue that I have with the generally accepted 'big bang' theory is not so much in its process as in its time of happening. Most 'big bang' theorists consider that the 'bang' was billions of years ago. I happen to be firmly convicted and convinced that it was only about 6,000 years ago.

God bless you.
IN Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't see any conflict between the big bang model of cosmogenesis and Christian faith. I don't attach it to anything in Genesis 1, since I don't believe Genesis 1 is there to teach us science; but if the big bang model is accurate then it is undeniable that God is the One behind it.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
L

Lovely Lane

Nothing wrong with the study of science. Theologians use to be frightened of it but now many embrace it and use it in their teachings. Science can't disprove the existence of God, but it helps in understanding God.

I have read that the sun is older than the earth, which means light was already present. So when God said let there be light, he set the earth spinning on it's axis so that this sphere we live on could have it's share of day and night.

How did all of this happen is a mystery, and so is the gospel.

Upvote 0

rogueapologist

May 28, 2012
✟645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
healiheal242526 said:

God did not "cause" the Big Bang--to suggest a causal link between God's creative acts and the materiality of the universe is to improperly place God within the domain of materiality. Christians believe that God created the universe ex nihilo. So it was not from some materially identifiable mechanism, but rather via a mystery that cannot be articulated by any categories of human (material) thought.

So then, it is perfectly possible to say not only that the Big Bang describes the earliest moments of space/time, but also that God is the immaterial creator of all...all without materializing God via causality.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Nothing wrong with the study of science. Theologians use to be frightened of it but now many embrace it and use it in their teachings. Science can't disprove the existence of God, but it helps in understanding God.

I have read that the sun is older than the earth, which means light was already present. So when God said let there be light, he set the earth spinning on it's axis so that this sphere we live on could have it's share of day and night.

How did all of this happen is a mystery, and so is the gospel.

I don't think theologians have ever, categorically, been frightened of science. Many of the greatest minds in the Church upheld the study of the natural order as good and praiseworthy. If anything it has primarily only been in the last 100-150 years or so that it's become a real issue, and primarily (arguably) due to the rigidity of the reactionary Fundamentalist Movement. Which had more to do with German Liberalism than science, but it became an issue especially since the Scopes Trial back in the 1920's. Religion vs Science is a modern phenomenon.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

I don't think theologians have ever, categorically, been frightened of science. Many of the greatest minds in the Church upheld the study of the natural order as good and praiseworthy. If anything it has primarily only been in the last 100-150 years or so that it's become a real issue, and primarily (arguably) due to the rigidity of the reactionary Fundamentalist Movement. Which had more to do with German Liberalism than science, but it became an issue especially since the Scopes Trial back in the 1920's. Religion vs Science is a modern phenomenon.

-CryptoLutheran
If you wanted to go off topic and refute my opinion why not offer up a name of one of those greatest minds theologians that embraced science?
I give you Galileo Galilei & Roman Catholic Church, which was more than 150 years ago. (1633) It was the Church that went around persecuting scientist.

Religion vs. Science is not modern nor a phenomenon.

Creation vs. Evolution (staying on topic)
Psychology/Psychiatry VS. Church on view of Homosexuality (just counsel or slap it out of him to be straight)

Upvote 0