The Bible teaches only past sins are forgiven us (not future sins).

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't see anything about future sin forgiven here in this passage. Again, why do you have to confess of sin to be forgiven of sin in 1 John 1:9 if future sin if forgiven?

He didn’t say that you have to confess your sins in order for them to be forgiven. He said if you do confess them they will be forgiven. In Colossians 1:22 Paul says “to present you before Him, holy and blameless IF YOU STAND FIRMLY”. So the condition implies that we must endure and abide to the end and at that point we will be presented before God. It cannot mean that we are presented before God if the condition has not been met yet. So this must refer to a future forgiveness or a constant present forgiveness up until the end.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As for Romans 8:13. It means what it says. Romans 6 does not undo what it says.
Romans 6:23 says the wages of sin is death. Romans 8:13 says, “For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die:” Believers can be freed from sin in the fact that they can overcome grievous sin.

“But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.” (Romans 13:14).

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't see anything about future sin forgiven here in this passage. Again, why do you have to confess of sin to be forgiven of sin in 1 John 1:9 if future sin if forgiven?
The same reason you would apologize to your wife (if you have one), or that you’d have your children apologize for disobedience. It doesn't affect the Union, but the communion. You should focus some time on studying our communion with our Father.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
As for Romans 8:13. It means what it says. Romans 6 does not undo what it says.
Romans 6:23 says the wages of sin is death. Romans 8:13 says, “For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die:” Believers can be freed from sin in the fact that they can overcome grievous sin.

“But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.” (Romans 13:14).
As usual, you go backwards. Romans 8 is based on what was said from chapter 4-7. Your cut/paste theology that ignore context leads people into error.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He didn’t say that you have to confess your sins in order for them to be forgiven.

Sorry. That is not true according to the Bible. That is what 1 John 1:9 says.

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9).

Notice the verse does not say that we are forgiven even if we do not confess of our sins.

Proverbs 28:13 says, “He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.”

He said if you do confess them they will be forgiven.

Which is kind of pointless if they are already forgiven, right?
What would be the purpose of confessing so as to be forgiven in 1 John 1:9 then?
Why boldly come before the throne of grace in help in time of need if you just have grace?
Makes no sense.

You said:
In Colossians 1:22 Paul says “to present you before Him, holy and blameless IF YOU STAND FIRMLY”. So the condition implies that we must endure and abide to the end and at that point we will be presented before God. It cannot mean that we are presented before God if the condition has not been met yet. So this must refer to a future forgiveness or a constant present forgiveness up until the end.

We have our part to do. We have to stand firmly otherwise we are not going to make it. God is not going to force people to be a certain way. It doesn't work like that. Yes, God can nudge us, and even push us sometimes in the right direction, but we have to ultimately fight the good fight of faith. We have to run the race in order to obtain the prize. If future sin is forgven us, then there is no need to fight, or run, or stand firmly. Think.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey what do you all think about this?

1 Thessalonians 5:19
Quench not the Spirit.

Quenching the spirit, can someone do this, as a believer who may do something wrong to someone and would that suffer the spirit?

Would that believer whatever they did sense guilt inside of themselves, and desire to repent?

It seems to have happened many times in my very own life. What are your thoughts?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First, 1 John 1:9 is dealing with salvation because of the surrounding context and cross references.

1 John 1:7 (the context) essentially says IF we walk in the light as He is in the light, the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin.

Most people when they talk about the cleansing blood of Jesus from sin are referring to salvation.

Cross references: Proverbs 28:13 basically says he that confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

We learn that the Tax Collector who cried out to God for forgiveness was justified by what he did in Luke 18:9-14.

In Luke 15:11-32: We learn that the prodigal son was said by his father to be dead and alive again two times. This was after he came home and sought forgiveness with his father.

Second, forgiveness in relation to God is tied to salvation throughout the whole Bible. We do not learn about how one is not forgiven and they have a break in fellowship with God, and yet they are still saved. If one believes otherwise, they need to make their case with God's Holy Word.

Side Note:

Also, if 1 John 1:9 is merely just confessing sin so as to restore fellowship only and not salvation or the forgiveness of sins, then why is this not explained clearly in the surrounding context? I will tell you why. It's because it does not exist in the context. 1 John 1:9 means what it says plainly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey what do you all think about this?

1 Thessalonians 5:19
Quench not the Spirit.

Quenching the spirit, can someone do this, as a believer who may do something wrong to someone and would that suffer the spirit?

Would that believer whatever they did sense guilt inside of themselves, and desire to repent?

It seems to have happened many times in my very own life. What are your thoughts?

Maybe it has something to do with Galatians 5, and the sins that are committed that do not inherit the kingdom of God, quench the spirit.

That must why people that do have the spirit and do something wrong, they sense guilt inside of them because they quench the spirit as in 1 Thessalonians 5:19.

Notice how we are talking about believers.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 10:26 KJB
“For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,”

This shows that only past sin is forgiven us because if we willfully sin after we receive the knowledge of the truth (i.e. Jesus is the truth - John 14:6), then there remains no more sacrifice for sins. Meaning, we cannot justify sin and think there is going to be a sacrifice for sins for us. This is why we have to confess in order to be forgiven of sin (1 John 1:9), and this is why we need to walk in the light as he is in the light so that the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin (1 John 1:7).

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
“For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,”

This shows that only past sin is forgiven us because if we willfully sin after we receive the knowledge of the truth (i.e. Jesus is the truth - John 14:6), then there remains no more sacrifice for sins. Meaning, we cannot justify sin and think there is going to be a sacrifice for sins for us. This is why we have to confess in order to be forgiven of sin (1 John 1:9), and this is why we need to walk in the light as he is in the light so that the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin (1 John 1:7).
Confessing won’t help you. The verse says that if you sin, there’s no more sacrifice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Was that youtube video you shared earlier, your teacher who you listen to and learn from?

Only asking because men are falliable.

Our sins are forgiven, by God. That is all sins.

That doesn't mean a believer STOPS sinning completely, because it's impossible.

We can live by the spirit more we build up the spiritual body, but we still have our flesh while we are here. You might not slip up today, but you are going to.

We all have fell short of the Glory of God and sinned.

This was the reason Jesus Christ came into the world, to save sinners from their sins.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Maybe it has something to do with Galatians 5, and the sins that are committed that do not inherit the kingdom of God, quench the spirit.

That must why people that do have the spirit and do something wrong, they sense guilt inside of them because they quench the spirit as in 1 Thessalonians 5:19.

Notice how we are talking about believers.

We can study and be in the bible all day, and Im not saying that is a bad thing. But context does matter, and the audience being spoken to about the subjects in the letter are important as well. Most of the Letters were for people who lived in a time a long time ago and today things are much different. Especially due to the grace of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Was that youtube video you shared earlier, your teacher who you listen to and learn from?

Only asking because men are falliable.

Our sins are forgiven, by God. That is all sins.

That doesn't mean a believer STOPS sinning completely, because it's impossible.

We can live by the spirit more we build up the spiritual body, but we still have our flesh while we are here. You might not slip up today, but you are going to.

We all have fell short of the Glory of God and sinned.

This was the reason Jesus Christ came into the world, to save sinners from their sins.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

We can study and be in the bible all day, and Im not saying that is a bad thing. But context does matter, and the audience being spoken to about the subjects in the letter are important as well. Most of the Letters were for people who lived in a time a long time ago and today things are much different. Especially due to the grace of God.

No. I did not learn what I did from Pastor Alan Ballou. I learned by comparing Scripture with Scripture and by asking God for the understanding. Alan and me just happen to both believe what the Bible plainly says on the matter of Soteriology and Sanctification (generally speaking).

But I don't expect you to explain the verses I posted in the OP. I don't expect you to explain the verses Alan discusses in his video, either. I don't believe you can with the Bible making any kind of sense. Like I said, I do not make it a habit to debate Universalists because the Scripture makes it obvious that there will be many who will be condemned.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry. That is not true according to the Bible. That is what 1 John 1:9 says.

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9).

Notice the verse does not say that we are forgiven even if we do not confess of our sins.

Proverbs 28:13 says, “He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.”

Which is kind of pointless if they are already forgiven, right?
What would be the purpose of confessing so as to be forgiven in 1 John 1:9 then?
Why boldly come before the throne of grace in help in time of need if you just have grace?
Makes no sense.

We have our part to do. We have to stand firmly otherwise we are not going to make it. God is not going to force people to be a certain way. It doesn't work like that. Yes, God can nudge us, and even push us sometimes in the right direction, but we have to ultimately fight the good fight of faith. We have to run the race in order to obtain the prize. If future sin is forgven us, then there is no need to fight, or run, or stand firmly. Think.

There is a reason for us to fight the good fight and stand firmly if forgiveness is contingent upon standing firmly and abiding in Christ. As far as confession I think simply acknowledging that we are a sinner is sufficient. Lord knows I’d be condemned to hell for sure if I had to try to remember and confess every sin I committed after coming to Christ. I doubt anyone would be capable of confessing or even acknowledging every single sin they did after they came to the faith.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No. I did not learn what I did from Pastor Alan Ballou. I learned by comparing Scripture with Scripture and by asking God for the understanding. Alan and me just happen to both believe what the Bible plainly says on the matter of Soteriology and Sanctification (generally speaking).

But I don't expect you to explain the verses I posted in the OP. I don't expect you to explain the verses Alan discusses in his video, either. I don't believe you can with the Bible making any kind of sense. Like I said, I do not make it a habit to debate Universalists because the Scripture makes it obvious that there will be many who will be condemned.

Okay, hey thanks for answering. I was just curious. Please stop saying I’m a universalist though.

The last the we should do as Christians is fight and bicker, causing us to destroy one another.

We gotta try build each other up in edification of what is good and right and gives us hope in the gospel of Christ Jesus.

Which was about His is the life, death, burial, and resurrection. Which in that Gospel teaches us many good and hopeful things, so we can peace in this life by looking towards him.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As for willfully sinning with no more sacrifice for sin as per Hebrews 10:26, and a believer later confessing of that sin to be forgiven again:

Scripture has to be read as a whole. Hebrews 10:39 talks about drawing back to perdition. This is drawing back to a state of ruin or refusal to repent towards God. While Hebrews 10:26 does appear to deal with a more high handed crime of despising of God's laws as per Hebrews 10:28, I believe Hebrews 10:26 stands as a warning post to turn back to God if one starts to go down that road of justifying sin towards perdition. For we know that the prodigal son was forgiven by seeking forgiveness with his father in Luke 15 after he spent his inheritance on prostitutes. Surely the prodigal son was willfully sinning. But he did not willfully sin on his way to perdition. Hebrews 4:16 says, “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” This is surely 1 John 1:9 and 1 John 2:1. It's confessing our sins to Jesus to be forgiven and or to receive grace in time of need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay, hey thanks for answering. I was just curious. Please stop saying I’m a universalist though.

The last the we should do as Christians is fight and bicker, causing us to destroy one another.

We gotta try build each other up in edification of what is good and right and gives us hope in the gospel of Christ Jesus.

Which was about His is the life, death, burial, and resurrection. Which in that Gospel teaches us many good and hopeful things, so we can peace in this life by looking towards him.

The label was not meant to be derogatory but merely a truth claim (if that is what you believe). Do you believe all will be saved in the end? If so, you are a Univeralist (whether you like that title or not), just as a person who believes in Unconditional Election is a Calvinist (whether they like that title or not). There are labels for even what I believe the Bible teaches. These labels merely help to identify what we believe the Bible says.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a reason for us to fight the good fight and stand firmly if forgiveness is contingent upon standing firmly and abiding in Christ. As far as confession I think simply acknowledging that we are a sinner is sufficient. Lord knows I’d be condemned to hell for sure if I had to try to remember and confess every sin I committed after coming to Christ. I doubt anyone would be capable of confessing or even acknowledging every single sin they did after they came to the faith.

Not all sin leads to spiritual death. 1 John 5 talks about the sin that does not lead to death.
Any sin that the Bible attaches with warnings of hellfire and or condemnation is a sin unto death.
While we should confess all sin, the confessing of sins that lead unto death is essential to maintain salvation or forgiveness. For one cannot be unforgiven and saved. 1 John 1:9 says that by confessing, we are forgiven. It really is that simple. But of course, many do not like what the Bible says.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If we sin, we have to repent to God. We cant just sin and think its all taken care of. We need to ask for forgiveness. We need to repent. The Our Father Prayer points this out "Forgive us our trespasses".

If we sin we don't have to repent to God. Jesus sacrifice paid the price for all sin, past, present, and future. By saying we have to do something (repent) is works; it's saying that Jesus' sacrifice isn't enough.

The "Our Father Prayer" was not delivered by Jesus to Christians, but to his Hebrew disciples. Why would Jesus tell people to ask for forgiveness when they have already been forgiven??

I'm afraid you're trapped in Catholic dogma instead of being free in Christ.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The label was not meant to be derogatory but merely a truth claim (if that is what you believe). Do you believe all will be saved in the end? If so, you are a Univeralist (whether you like that title or not), just as a person who believes in Unconditional Election is a Calvinist (whether they like that title or not). There are labels for even what I believe the Bible teaches. These labels merely help to identify what we believe the Bible says.

No I do not believe everyone is saved to the kingdom of God.

Why is that?
Because some people reject God completely, having no faith, or love for others at all.

Where do unbelievers go?

However I do not believe that people go to hell and burn forever and ever, the destination the unbelievers go to is outside of the kingdom.

This changes the way grace is looked at because everyone had a choice to believe or not.

My view is that of total reconciliation and this is the biggest difference of the two views.

:)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No I do not believe everyone is saved to the kingdom of God.

Why is that?
Because some people reject God completely, having no faith, or love for others at all.

Where do unbelievers go?

However I do not believe that people go to hell and burn forever and ever, the destination the unbelievers go to is outside of the kingdom.

This changes the way grace is looked at because everyone had a choice to believe or not.

My view is that of total reconciliation and this is the biggest difference of the two views.

:)

Yes, I don't believe in Eternal Torment, either. I used to, but Scripture teaches otherwise (if one closely examines His Word). I believe the Bible teaches that the wicked will be destroyed or annihilated in the Lake of Fire. They will cease to exist at some point after the judgment.

So in your belief called “Reconciliation”: What happens to the wicked outside of the kingdom? Are they still alive? If they are still alive, do they remain as sinners, or does God lobotomize them or something to have a peaceful planet with no sin?

Upvote 0