U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Everything that is made comes with a set of instructions. Whether it is home appliances, toys, automobiles, pet accessories, clothing, food, etc. Man is no different. Man was created by God and given an instruction manual, that if read and followed carefully, he would be able to make the best of his life given him on earth. Man's instruction manual is called the Bible. The definition of Bible from World Scope Encyclopedia reads: "The book held by Christians and Jews to contain the word of God and to be of divine authority. The word Bible is derived from Medieval Latin,"biblia" in the singular number, and means a book. The Greek form of the word is a plural and means books. As commonly used it signifies the book, in comparison with which other books or writings are unworthy; or if they be called books, then the Bible becomes the book of books. The Latin word scriptura = writing, scripturae = writings, convey the idea that the scriptures are the only writings worthy of being called writings; therefore, they are of higher standing than all other books.”

With that established, let me say that any knowledge that man has of God he got it out of the Bible. All preachers preach, or teach their congregations from the Bible. If you really look close, you will see that all of man's laws have the Ten Commandments as their foundation. Now before we go any further, let's establish this very important point. "Knowing this first that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” (2 Peter 1:20-21)

Also, let me show you that God's word is contained in a book. This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success". (Joshua 1:8) "Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read". (Isaiah 34:16) "The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD God of Israel, saying, Write thee all the words that I have spoken unto thee in a book". (Jeremiah 30:1-2)

"In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the seed of the Medes, which was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans; In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.” (Daniel 9:1-2) "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.” (Revelation 22:18-19)

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's look and see what the writings in the Bible are good for. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect thoroughly furnished unto all good works.” (2Timothy 3:16-17)

Words are what man uses to communicate with, one to another. Words are powerful, and Jesus is called the Word of God. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men".(St. John 1:1-4) "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.” (Revelation 19:11-13)

The Bible contains the truth, and the truth is the Word of God, which is the real life of man. "I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth." (St. John 17:6, 8, &17) And Jesus answered him saying, "It is written, that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God." (St. Luke4: 4) "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." (St. John 6:63)

Now let’s get to the meat of the matter: God created man and gave him dominion over the works of his hand. "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.” (Genesis 1:26) He instructed the man on what was lawful for him to do and he told him the consequences of disobeying. "And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.” (Genesis 2:8-9 & 16-17)

Man disobeyed and brought death into the world; Jesus came and restored life unto man. "For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." (1Corinthians 15:21-22) How did Jesus restore life to man? By coming into the world, living a perfect life before God the Father as an example to this disobedient and sinful man. "Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul. I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me. I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I wait for my God. "They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head: they that would destroy me, being mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: then I restored that which I took not away." (Psalm 69:1-4)

What are some of the instructions given in the Bible for man to live by? The most important instructions are the Royal Law, which are the Ten Commandments. (Exodus 20:1-17) These instructions are so important that God did not entrust them to the angel to deliver to man.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He came down from heaven to Mt. Sinai and spoke these commandments to man face to face. "In the third month, when the children of Israel were gone forth out of the land of Egypt, the same day came they into the wilderness of Sinai. For they were departed from Rephidim, and were come to the desert of Sinai, and had pitched in the wilderness; and there Israel camped before the mount. And the LORD said unto Moses, Lo, I come unto thee in a thick cloud, that the people may hear when I speak with thee, and believe thee forever. And Moses told the words of the people unto the LORD. And the LORD said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes, And be ready against the third day: for the third day the LORD will come down in the sight of all the people upon mount Sinai. And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled. And Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount. And Mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly. And when the voice of the trumpet sounded long and waxed louder and louder, Moses spake and God answered him by a voice. And the LORD came down upon Mount Sinai, on the top of the mount: and the LORD called Moses up to the top of the mount; and Moses went up.” (Exodus 19:1-2, 9-11, & 16-20) God spake all these words, saying,

“I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house; thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.”

The Lord gave all of his commandments, laws, and statues to the children of Israel to live by and to teach all of the other sons of Adam. "Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.” (Exodus 19:5-6)

All the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off. And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die. And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces that ye sin not. And the people stood afar off, and Moses drew near unto the thick darkness where God was. And the LORD said unto Moses, Thus thou shalt say unto the children of Israel, Ye have seen that I have talked with you from heaven.” (Exodus 20:1-22)

to be continue...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe we are to follow God's instruction manual (i.e. the Holy Bible), but we are New Covenant believers and not Old Covenant believers.

While God's moral laws are still in effect in the New Covenant (like: Do not murder, do not steal, do not covet, etc.), I do not agree that the 4th commandment (a ceremonial law) was carried over into the New Testament. In fact, I did a study on the New Testament commands from Matthew to Revelation. There is no list of sins with the breaking of the Sabbath included. There is no explicit or non-explict commands for the Saturday Sabbath. Only inferences of men keeping the Sabbath is equated with God approving that the Sabbath command is still in effect (Which is not the same as an actual command). In addition,

Colossians 2 says,

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;” (Colossians 2:14).​

We learn in the OT that the weekly Sabbath is inferred as being an ordinance in

Isaiah 58.

“Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God...” (Isaiah 58:2).​

If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight,...” (Isaiah 58:13).​

How was the weekly sabbath (Which is an ordinance) against us? Well, the OT talks about how a man was killed for collecting sticks on the weekly sabbath.

Colossians 2:16 says,

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:” (Colossians 2:16).
This verse is saying we are not to let others judge us in regards to whether or not we keep Sabbaths days. This means that the Sabbath is no longer binding because the Saturday Sabbath would be included in the list of the different kinds of Sabbaths (like the yearly Sabbath, etc.). Thus, the 4th commandment in Exodus 20 in the Old Covenant is no longer binding. We are under a New Covenant with New Commands. Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

Side Note:

In other words, from my plain reading of Colossians 2, there are two things that make me easily conclude that the Saturday Sabbath command (not the calendar day) is no more (Unless of course you are biased towards wanting to keep the Sabbath).

Point #1. Colossians 2:14 says that the ORDINANCES have been blotted out. Isaiah 58 says the Saturday Sabbath is an ORDINANCE (See again Isaiah 58:2, and Isaiah 58:13). So this means the Saturday Sabbath command (not the calendar day being the Sabbath) is blotted out.

Point #2. Colossians 2:16 refers to how we are not to let others judge us according to whether or not we keep the Sabbaths. The Saturday Sabbath would naturally be included in the list of Sabbaths (like the yearly Sabbaths, etc.). So this means that the Saturday Sabbath command (not the existence of the calendar day being the Sabbath) has ended.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Just to be clear, we're talking about any Bible? Not just the KJ?

I would suggest the KJV. When King James had the Bible translated he appointed 54 scholars to do the work instead of religious people. This made it possible for him to change the form, from Hebrew and Greek to English, without changing the meaning. In other words he made the Bible say the exact same thing, only in another language. This in itself was a fulfillment of prophecy, "For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people" (Isaiah 28:11).

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe we are to follow God's instruction manual (i.e. the Holy Bible), but we are New Covenant believers and not Old Covenant believers.

While God's moral laws are still in effect in the New Covenant (like: Do not murder, do not steal, do not covet, etc.), I do not agree that the 4th commandment (a ceremonial law) was carried over into the New Testament. In fact, I did a study on the New Testament commands from Matthew to Revelation. There is no list of sins with the breaking of the Sabbath included. There is no explicit or non-explict commands for the Saturday Sabbath. Only inferences of men keeping the Sabbath is equated with God approving that the Sabbath command is still in effect (Which is not the same as an actual command). In addition,

Colossians 2 says,

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;” (Colossians 2:14).​

We learn in the OT that the weekly Sabbath is inferred as being an ordinance in

Isaiah 58.

“Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God...” (Isaiah 58:2).​

If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight,...” (Isaiah 58:13).​

How was the weekly sabbath (Which is an ordinance) against us? Well, the OT talks about how a man was killed for collecting sticks on the weekly sabbath.

Colossians 2:16 says,

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:” (Colossians 2:16).
This verse is saying we are not to let others judge us in regards to whether or not we keep Sabbaths days. This means that the Sabbath is no longer binding because the Saturday Sabbath would be included in the list of the different kinds of Sabbaths (like the yearly Sabbath, etc.). Thus, the 4th commandment in Exodus 20 in the Old Covenant is no longer binding. We are under a New Covenant with New Commands. Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

Side Note:

In other words, from my plain reading of Colossians 2, there are two things that make me easily conclude that the Saturday Sabbath command (not the calendar day) is no more (Unless of course you are biased towards wanting to keep the Sabbath).

Point #1. Colossians 2:14 says that the ORDINANCES have been blotted out. Isaiah 58 says the Saturday Sabbath is an ORDINANCE (See again Isaiah 58:2, and Isaiah 58:13). So this means the Saturday Sabbath command (not the calendar day being the Sabbath) is blotted out.

Point #2. Colossians 2:16 refers to how we are not to let others judge us according to whether or not we keep the Sabbaths. The Saturday Sabbath would naturally be included in the list of Sabbaths (like the yearly Sabbaths, etc.). So this means that the Saturday Sabbath command (not the existence of the calendar day being the Sabbath) has ended.

Let's go into Paul's writings and take another look at both of these laws. We will go into the Book of Galatians chapter 3. This is one of the chapters that the majority of Christian preachers use to do away with the Lord's commandments. Now, let's read carefully!

Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. (Galatians 3:19) Take heed to what Paul's says above, "Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions." What is transgression? Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. (I John 3:4) Transgression is braking of the commandments. What law was added because of the braking of the law? The sacrificial law! Paul is simply asking these Gentiles, "why perform the sacrificial law? It was added because of sin until the seed should come. Who is the seed?

Let's back up in this chapter and find out. Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, and to seeds, as of many; but as of one, and to thy seed, which is Christ. (Galatians 3:16) Who is the SEED? CHRIST! So, this law was added (which is the sacrificial law) until Christ came. What was the sacrificial law used for until Christ came? Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. (Galatians 3:24)

The sacrificial law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. Before we continue, we must clear one thing up. Are we justified by faith alone? Let's see. Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law. (Romans 3:31) What law is established? Certainly not the sacrificial law, we have seen above that it was added because of transgression until the Seed came (which was Christ). The Royal law to be established forever which are the Ten Lords commandments! Now, let's back up in this chapter to the third verses and point out the two sets of laws. Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? (Galatians 3:3)
The spirit in this case is the word of God, but pay close attention to what Paul says at the end of the verse. "Are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" Can we be made perfect by the flesh? What flesh is Paul talking about?

Let's go to the book of Hebrews and find out. For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. (Hebrews 10:1) The flesh Paul spoke of was the animal sacrifices. Notice what the verse says, "never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect." That's pretty clear don't you think?

Let's go back to Galatians chapter 3 and take note how Paul uses the word "law" but does not say this is the sacrificial law or the Commandments. But as we read further in the chapter we will see the difference between the two. For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. (Galatians 3:10)

We have both Laws with in this verse. In the first part of the verse where it states, "For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse:" This law is the sacrificial law, let's skip to the 13th verse and we will see this clearly. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: (Galatians 3:13)

Notice what's being said, "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us." How was he made a curse for us? He took on our sins and redeemed us from the curse of the sacrificial law which could never take away sin. Now take a look at the next set of verses and we will see indeed that only the sacrificial law was nailed to the cross.

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; (Colossians 2:13-14)

Notice this, "He quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross. Why was this law (which is the sacrificial law) contrary to us?

Notice this in Hebrews the 10th chapter; For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. (Hebrews 10:4) For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. That is why it was contrary to us. The sacrificial law simply could not make us perfect.

Now let's look at the second half of the 13th verse in the book of Galatians chapter 3. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: (Galatians 3:13) Paul is simply quoting Moses, take a look. His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance. (Deuteronomy 21:23)

Go into the Book of John chapter 19 verse 31 and you will see that Jesus was removed from the cross before sun down. Let's back up in Galatians chapter 3 to verses 10 and watch how we have a different law in the second half of the verse.

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. (Galatians 3:10)
This law is part of the commandments. Once again Paul, is quoting Moses, let's take a look.

Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them. And all the people shall say, Amen. (Deuteronomy 27:26)

I hope this help with understanding what Law was nail to the cross. Keep in mind a lot writing from the apostles, even Jesus comes from the Old Testament.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I would suggest the KJV. When King James had the Bible translated he appointed 54 scholars to do the work instead of religious people. This made it possible for him to change the form, from Hebrew and Greek to English, without changing the meaning. In other words he made the Bible say the exact same thing, only in another language. This in itself was a fulfillment of prophecy, "For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people" (Isaiah 28:11).

Thank you for your response.

As for the KJV. I cannot read from the KVJ. It's distracting to me. Too many of the words are different from today and it's distracting. I also failed the Shakespeare unit in high school English, so there is that.

I tend to read from the NIV (first Bible ever given to me), the NKJV and the NRSV.

Again, thank you for your response!

• Agree
Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let's go into Paul's writings and take another look at both of these laws. We will go into the Book of Galatians chapter 3. This is one of the chapters that the majority of Christian preachers use to do away with the Lord's commandments. Now, let's read carefully!

Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. (Galatians 3:19) Take heed to what Paul's says above, "Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions." What is transgression? Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. (I John 3:4) Transgression is braking of the commandments. What law was added because of the braking of the law? The sacrificial law! Paul is simply asking these Gentiles, "why perform the sacrificial law? It was added because of sin until the seed should come. Who is the seed?

Let's back up in this chapter and find out. Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, and to seeds, as of many; but as of one, and to thy seed, which is Christ. (Galatians 3:16) Who is the SEED? CHRIST! So, this law was added (which is the sacrificial law) until Christ came. What was the sacrificial law used for until Christ came? Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. (Galatians 3:24)

The sacrificial law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. Before we continue, we must clear one thing up. Are we justified by faith alone? Let's see. Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law. (Romans 3:31) What law is established? Certainly not the sacrificial law, we have seen above that it was added because of transgression until the Seed came (which was Christ). The Royal law to be established forever which are the Ten Lords commandments! Now, let's back up in this chapter to the third verses and point out the two sets of laws. Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? (Galatians 3:3)
The spirit in this case is the word of God, but pay close attention to what Paul says at the end of the verse. "Are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" Can we be made perfect by the flesh? What flesh is Paul talking about?

Let's go to the book of Hebrews and find out. For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. (Hebrews 10:1) The flesh Paul spoke of was the animal sacrifices. Notice what the verse says, "never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect." That's pretty clear don't you think?

Let's go back to Galatians chapter 3 and take note how Paul uses the word "law" but does not say this is the sacrificial law or the Commandments. But as we read further in the chapter we will see the difference between the two. For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. (Galatians 3:10)

We have both Laws with in this verse. In the first part of the verse where it states, "For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse:" This law is the sacrificial law, let's skip to the 13th verse and we will see this clearly. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: (Galatians 3:13)

Notice what's being said, "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us." How was he made a curse for us? He took on our sins and redeemed us from the curse of the sacrificial law which could never take away sin. Now take a look at the next set of verses and we will see indeed that only the sacrificial law was nailed to the cross.

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; (Colossians 2:13-14)

Notice this, "He quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross. Why was this law (which is the sacrificial law) contrary to us?

Notice this in Hebrews the 10th chapter; For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. (Hebrews 10:4) For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. That is why it was contrary to us. The sacrificial law simply could not make us perfect.

Now let's look at the second half of the 13th verse in the book of Galatians chapter 3. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: (Galatians 3:13) Paul is simply quoting Moses, take a look. His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance. (Deuteronomy 21:23)

Go into the Book of John chapter 19 verse 31 and you will see that Jesus was removed from the cross before sun down. Let's back up in Galatians chapter 3 to verses 10 and watch how we have a different law in the second half of the verse.

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. (Galatians 3:10)
This law is part of the commandments. Once again Paul, is quoting Moses, let's take a look.

Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them. And all the people shall say, Amen. (Deuteronomy 27:26)

I hope this help with understanding what Law was nail to the cross. Keep in mind a lot writing from the apostles, even Jesus comes from the Old Testament.

*Sigh*. Look friend, it’s physically impossible to obey the 613 laws of Moses and yet also obey the 400 some New Testament commands. You just cannot do it. There are laws that conflict with each other. Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
*Sigh*. Look friend, it’s physically impossible to obey the 613 laws of Moses and yet also obey the 400 some New Testament commands. You just cannot do it. There are laws that conflict with each other. Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.
Not only that. Jesus' who mode of teaching emphasized changing hearts, and intent. Paul interpreted this as an emphasis on faith. It was the Pharisees who were into religion as an instruction manual.

Much better to think of the Holy Spirit speaking through the Bible as a way of encountering God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not only that. Jesus' who mode of teaching emphasized changing hearts, and intent. Paul interpreted this as an emphasis on faith. It was the Pharisees who were into religion as an instruction manual.

No doubt, we are given a new heart with new desires, and we must have faith in God, but without receiving our instructions from God (i.e. works of faith) it is a lack of faith. For if Noah just had a belief alone in GOD and He did not receive His instructions in building a boat and getting on it, He would have perished along with everyone else. For if you imply that God's Word is not an instruction manual, I would say that you don't know your Bible all too well.

For the Bible itself says this:

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” (2 Timothy 3:16).​

For what is the purpose of these things mentioned in 2 Timothy 3:16?

“That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:17).​

Yet, this verse above (verse 17) is not believed by many churches.

“For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:” (Proverbs 6:23).

Proverbs 6:23. Remember.... 6:23.

Romans 6:23 says, “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”

Unfortunately, most today think they can sin and still be saved because they have a belief alone on Jesus. But God's grace is not a license for immorality (Jude 1:4). We have to obey Jesus and not just believe in Him. For Acts of the Apostles 3:23 essentially says that every soul who does not hear that prophet (JESUS) will be destroyed from among the people. Matthew 7:26-27 says a similar thing. It basically says that everyone who does not do what Jesus says is like a fool who built His house upon the sand and when a storm came great was the fall of that house. This is tied in with Matthew 7:23 whereby Jesus told certain believers who did wonderful works in His name to depart from Him because they worked iniquity (or sin).

2 Timothy 2:25 says, “In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;”​

How does Paul instruct those who oppose themselves? He does so with God's Word. So Paul instructs those who oppose themselves with God's Word. For Jesus, and His followers always quoted from Scripture in their guidance or instruction of believers.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Instruction is quite a general concept. You can instruct someone in basic principles, or in lists of rules. The term instruction manual, however, implies to me something closer to the list of rules.

And you think Jesus and His followers did not teach rules as a part of our benefit and or as a part of eternal life?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Of course they did. Do not divorce is a good example (although both Matthew and Paul approved exceptions in situations where following the rule would be harmful). But mostly Jesus was concerned about personal transformation. The term "instruction manual" suggests an unbalanced view of what the Bible is.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Instruction is quite a general concept. You can instruct someone in basic principles, or in lists of rules. The term instruction manual, however, implies to me something closer to the list of rules.

Also, 2 Timothy 3:16 says “instruction in righteousness.“ 1 John 3:7 says he that does righteousness is righteous. So if we do righteousness, this involves some kind of obedience to some kind of rules or commands by God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Also, 2 Timothy 3:16 says “instruction in righteousness.“ 1 John 3:7 says he that does righteousness is righteous. So if we do righteousness, this involves some kind of obedience to some kind of rules or commands by God.
Yes, but primarily the command is to make the tree good so that the fruit would be good. Not to mention John, for whom Jesus' main commandment was to love each other.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course they did. Do not divorce is a good example (although both Matthew and Paul approved exceptions in situations where following the rule would be harmful). But mostly Jesus was concerned about personal transformation. The term "instruction manual" suggests an unbalanced view of what the Bible is.

Not true. While Jesus did teach we must be born again, He also taught many times against how sin can destroy our souls. In Matthew 5:28-30 Jesus warns that if one looks upon a woman in lust they are in danger of hellfire. In Matthew 6:15, Jesus says that if we do not forgive, we will not be forgiven by the Father. Can one be saved and yet not forgiven? Surely not. Matthew 12:37 says that we can be condemned by our words. In Matthew 25:31-46, Jesus basically says that if one does not help the poor, they can go away into everlasting punishment. In Luke 9:62, Jesus says that if we put our hand to the plow (i.e. spread the gospel) and we look back (i.e. we turn back from doing so), we are not fit for the Kingdom of God (ie. we will not be able to enter). In Luke 10:25-28, Jesus agreed with the lawyer that we must love God and love our neighbor as a part of inheriting eternal life. In fact, Jesus says if you will enter into life, keep the commandments (Matthew 19:17). The rich young ruler asked, which ones. Jesus replied with loving your neighbor, do not murder, do not covet, etc. (i.e. the Moral Law).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but primarily the command is to make the tree good so that the fruit would be good. Not to mention John, for whom Jesus' main commandment was to love each other.

And Jesus said if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15).
In fact, we can abide in the love of Jesus by keeping His commandments (John 15:10).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

How does one make the tree good? By having a godly sorrow over one's sin whereby they will not justify it anymore and they will seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ and accept Him as their Savior. They will believe that Christ died for their sins, and He was buried, and He was risen three days later on their behalf. By this they will receive a new heart with new desires. But that does not mean their free will is removed. It does not mean that they cannot be deceived by the deceitfulness of sin and depart from the living God as mentioned in Hebrews 3. We are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

From my study so far, here are all the commands that are called a “command” in the New Testament:

1. Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord, and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength: this is the first commandment.” (Mark 12:29-30 gives us the full complete description of the 1st commandment in the Bible).

2. “And the second is like, namely this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:31).

3. And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. (1 John 3:23).

4. “Repent” (i.e. Seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ) (Acts of the Apostles 17:30 says, “God… now commands all men everywhere to repent”).

5. A new commandment I give unto you, That you love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if you have love one to another (John 13:34-35).

6. “Watch” (“For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the doorkeeper to watch. Watch you therefore: for you know not when the Master of the house comes,...” - See: Mark 13:33-37).

7. “Honor your father and mother” (God commanded, saying, Honor your father and mother - Matthew 15:4, Matthew 19:19, Mark 10:19, Luke 18:20) (Ephesians 6:2-3 says “Honour your father and mother (which is the first commandment attached with a promise).

8. Tell the women to keep silent in the churches. For it is not permitted unto them to speak, but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also says the law; And if they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is a shame for women to speak in the church (1 Corinthians 14:34-35).

9. Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother who walks disorderly (2 Thessalonians 3:6).

10. Keep the following commandment without spot, unrebukable, until the appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ: Fight the good fight of faith, and lay hold on eternal life, whereby you are called, and have professed a good profession before many witnesses (1 Timothy 6:12-14).

11. Keep the commandments (Matthew 19:17) (Note: The young rich ruler asked, which ones (i.e. which commands should he keep); Jesus replied, “Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” (Matthew 19:18-19) (Jesus also said as a part of these commands, “If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor,” - Matthew 19:21).

These surely are “instructions in righteousness” as per 2 Timothy 3:16.

Upvote 0