Jan 6, 2012
✟7,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
If someone who was moderately knowledgeable about Christianity, theology, and Christian traditions asked you what single read would be the best for them to read to understand Orthodoxy better, what would be your answer?

I know there might be some differences of opinion here, that's fine. ;)

Also, in case you're wondering, this recommendation is partly for myself.

Thanks in advance.

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I really enjoyed this book. The author "got it" in his analysis of Orthodox as contrasted to the more familiar "western" categories.

He finished the book with a few of his personal criticisms of Orthodoxy, chief among them being its exclusive claim to be the one, true church. But it's an outstanding primer and a good apology for Orthodoxy (although somehow the author himself remains, to this day, an evangelical :))

Eastern Orthodox Christianity: A Western Perspective: Daniel B. Clendenin: 9780801026522: Amazon.com: Books

Upvote 0

tekiahteruah

Sep 18, 2007
✟7,985.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware is a good primer, widely-recommended

Good suggestion-- but I would personally probably go with The Orthodox Way, also by Metropolitan +Ware, which I think is probably the best introduction to Orthodox spirituality for those more familiar with Western Christianity.

Also-- the writings of Saint Maria Skobtsova, always. I think they're good as an introduction for non-Orthodox Christians as a way of seeing what all of this seemingly extraneous "stuff" in Orthodoxy has to do with Christ, his cross, and the gospel (as witnessed in her writings, challenging description of Orthodox theology, and of course her own martyrdom.)

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Frederica's Facing East and The Corner of East and Now give interesting insights into the EO from a less formal/doctrinal perspective.

Gallatin's Thirsting for God and Gillquist's Becoming Orthodox teach EO from a convert's journey.

Fr Damick's Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy examines EO in comparison to other religions and sects within Christianity.

As someone not Orthodox (yet) these along with titles listed above have been most helpful.

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A lot of the times now, I think, "The Orthodox Church" and "The Orthodox Way" by Met. Kallistos are combined into one book called "The Orthodox Church." Mine came that way, I think.

But I think to get a really good answer you'd have to give us a bit more of a profile of this person. For example, for my mom I'd recommend "Facing East" by Kh. Frederica Mathewes-Green, because my mom isn't going to be interested in theological or heavily historical discussion, but will enjoy the narrative of a woman telling a story with some teaching thrown in, and like the examples of Orthodox community in that book. For my dad I'd probably give The Rainbow Series, because that goes far more in depth and he'd enjoy the theological differences and short chapters. For my cousin Jason who's a protestant pastor I'd probably go with "Common Ground" by Jordan Banjis because it operates from a Western perspective showing how the East differs, without being confrontational but without denying anything. For some people I've just given prayer books, and they learn about Orthodoxy from the prayers we pray.

So what sort of person are you asking for, and what sort of book? Do you want a story, something focused on the spirituality, the theology, the history? What denomination is the person now, and why do they want to know about Orthodoxy?

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of the times now, I think, "The Orthodox Church" and "The Orthodox Way" by Met. Kallistos are combined into one book called "The Orthodox Church." Mine came that way, I think.

But I think to get a really good answer you'd have to give us a bit more of a profile of this person. For example, for my mom I'd recommend "Facing East" by Kh. Frederica Mathewes-Green, because my mom isn't going to be interested in theological or heavily historical discussion, but will enjoy the narrative of a woman telling a story with some teaching thrown in, and like the examples of Orthodox community in that book. For my dad I'd probably give The Rainbow Series, because that goes far more in depth and he'd enjoy the theological differences and short chapters. For my cousin Jason who's a protestant pastor I'd probably go with "Common Ground" by Jordan Banjis because it operates from a Western perspective showing how the East differs, without being confrontational but without denying anything. For some people I've just given prayer books, and they learn about Orthodoxy from the prayers we pray.

So what sort of person are you asking for, and what sort of book? Do you want a story, something focused on the spirituality, the theology, the history? What denomination is the person now, and why do they want to know about Orthodoxy?

I'd not heard of "Common Ground"~just put it in my Amazon cart~thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've not read many books on Orthodoxy, but the best "cut to the chase" book for me was West of Jesus. The Orthodox Way is also very good. :)

That book is excellent for a quick and easy read and done all from the Scriptures. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Michaeles

Jan 6, 2012
✟7,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
So what sort of person are you asking for, and what sort of book? Do you want a story, something focused on the spirituality, the theology, the history?
For myself, but also to recommend to others. I am interested for a well-rounded book on theology and spirituality (you can't separate the two, can you? ;)). And NOT an easy-read simplification.
What denomination is the person now, and why do they want to know about Orthodoxy?
I am a high church Protestant, Anglican and/or Lutheran. While I know a fair bit about EO and share many eastern perspectives, I'm not converting to orthodoxy, the book is for educating myself. I figured I should read a book that will correct and add to what I know, and comes from an Orthodox point of view.

Thank you all for being so helpful!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Orthodox Dogmatic Theology by Fr. Michael Pomazansky is great and so is "God's Revelation to the Human Heart" by Fr. Seraphim Rose.

In Christ,
Andrew

I agree they are both great, but Fr Michael's is a little heavier dogmatics for someone who in inquiring. definitely great for someone a little older in the faith.

but I totally agree with Fr Seraphim's God's Revelation.

Upvote 0

Fotina

Sep 17, 2004
✟1,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
For myself, .. I am interested for a well-rounded book on theology and spirituality (you can't separate the two, can you? ;)). And NOT an easy-read simplification.

Thank you all for being so helpful!

Here is one that will more than satisfy, not an easy-read but worth the challenge to work through.

The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church by Vladimir Lossky

The Eastern Tradition ."..has never made a sharp distinction between mysticism and theology; between personal experience of the divine mysteries and the dogma affirmed by the Church." The term "mystical theology" denotes that which is accessible yet inaccessible; those things understood yet surpassing all knowledge.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This book is not an overview of ecclesiology or specific doctrine but is a clear expression of core Orthodox Christian faith of the salvation of Jesus Christ by the great church father: St Gregory Palamas (14th c.):
The Saving Work of Christ: Sermons by Saint Gregory Palamas: Saint Gregory Palamas, Christopher Veniamin: 9780977498352: Amazon.com: Books

Within this little book (130 pp.) are a series of timeless, lay friendly, & profound homilies on the Nativity, epiphany, Transfiguration, general redemption etc.

Upvote 0