The Beginning

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no politics in this thread (I checked) but there is a lot of injection of religion into science and your interpretation of physics was wrong.
Two things. First, I wasn't talking specifically about this thread, but about science as weaponized in the 21st century. Second, this IS a religious forum.

OK, a third thing. I'm not interpreting physics. I'm trying to use analogies to simplify the explanation. It's funny, the CIO of a fortune 100 company, who was also a personal friend, worked with me for a few years and one day, when I was explaining something complex regarding computers, he said to me, "You should write a book of analogies.". I asked him what he meant. He said I was really good at using analogies to explain complex things to people outside the field they are addressing. And one time at a client who had purchased our software a year before but wasn't using it, I taught a class of his senior programmers how to use it and he wrote an email to my manager stating that if they had realized how easy it was to use they would have been using it a lot more in that year.

And I've learned, in the years that followed (actually, a couple of decades now) that whenever someone really takes issue with my analogies or even strongly disrespects them, it is the point the analogy is making that they don't like. i.e. sometimes the analogy describes it too well.

But, as usual, opinions vary. And after all of the above, yes, I admit that I can be guilty of the Dunning Kruger effect myself from time to time. I try to avoid it, though. I do research before I take a strong stand. But when is enough research really enough? ;)

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Choosimg to accept such science as fits a
selected belief, rejecting that which does not
regardless of data, really is not consistent with
any respect or love for science, as it is directly
contrary to the deepest meaning of science.
With that I completely agree! It's often not that one accepts or doesn't accept "science". Rather, it is that they don't accept one or another researcher's conclusion gleaned from the science. It's why, technically, no science is really "settled". There certainly has been a lot of talk about what gravity really is of late.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right now, does god have a physical body? Or was god male just temporarily while he occupied a males body for that brief period?
Yes. His name is Jesus.

It was Jesus in the oven. It was Jesus that walked with Adam.

John 8:58 -- Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

Interesting use of present tense. Just sayin' :cool:

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes. His name is Jesus.

It was Jesus in the oven. It was Jesus that walked with Adam.

John 8:58 -- Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

Interesting use of present tense. Just sayin' :cool:
What's his present address? Can I go there and shake his hand?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Right now, does god have a physical body? Or was god male just temporarily while he occupied a males body for that brief period?

Isaiah 52:6 Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,051.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The way I see it, it's the creating process where the problem arises.
I still don't get it. If someone believes in God then He was responsible. He's responsible for everything. If someone doesn't believe in God then it was entirely a natural process.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,051.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If horses had a religion, what do you think their god would look like?

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I still don't get it. If someone believes in God then He was responsible. He's responsible for everything. If someone doesn't believe in God then it was entirely a natural process.
It depends upon the kind of God one looks towards. It is possible to both be aware of the Divine and at the same time fully take in the natural process. A God being "responsible for everything" in my opinion falls more in line with the Greek/Roman Pagan God way of thinking. It's a paradigm shift in how one thinks of God. I get that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If horses had a religion, what do you think their god would look like?
I often wonder if my cat thinks I am a god. I have the power to open doors, to bring forth food instantly, to make day and night with the flick of a finger.
I wonder what my cat thinks is the purpose of a god.
To open doors for him when he waits by the door.
to feed him when he purs and rubs up against my ankles.
to play with him, to fight him when he runs from me or hides in his tunnel.

But anyway, in this recent conversation with these two people, they seem to want me to take a journey into wackadoodle land, where a person has a body and exists, before they are born, and has a body and exists after they died, are at my door even though no one is at my door.
They aren't winning me over, I'm feeling like wackadoodle land just isn't the right place for me.

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Fair enough.

Let's try this then:

Isaiah 52:6 ... he ...

Does that answer your question?
Let's see.

Lets put my question and this answer together and see how this reads.

Q: Is god a male? Does god have a physical body?
A: He

Q: What's his present address? Can I go there and shake his hand?
A: He

Seems like we are going straight back into wackadoodle land.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,051.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It depends upon the kind of God one looks towards. It is possible to both be aware of the Divine and at the same time fully take in the natural process.
Yeah. I'm pretty certain that Christian scientists who work to discover how we came to be here are looking for how God used the natural processes they believe He instigated to do it. Without resorting to this:

download (2).jpeg

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟88,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I often wonder if my cat thinks I am a god.

Dogs are like: This person feeds me, waters me, pets me. They must be God.

Cats are like: This person feeds me, waters me, pets me. I must be God.

Upvote 0