The Augsburg Apology Article XVIII: Of Free Will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello all, I thought I had a fairly well grasp of this but re-reading it just now brought up some questions I hope you can help me with.

I understand that we have free will with earthly matters, however on the spiritual we do not, for we hear the gospel and are comforted, faith grows thanks to the Holy Spirit and such.

However, we can reject the Holy Spirit, rejecting it would be us willingly turning our back to what the Holy Spirit is working in us.

To the believer by not reading the bible and not going to church, we are in danger of losing our faith, that too is something we do. Can anyone clarify this things? Thank you and God bless!

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟575,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Look up the term 'prevenient grace', it may give you a fresh insight on the article. It was Arminius' way of framing one of his major objections to Calvin's views of election and predestination, so you might appreciate revisiting the history of the Remonstrants as well. Lutheran theology is often characterized as striking a middle course between Calvinism and Arminianism.

Upvote 0

JackSparrow

Dec 12, 2012
North London UK
✟825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Look up the term 'prevenient grace', it may give you a fresh insight on the article. It was Arminius' way of framing one of his major objections to Calvin's views of election and predestination, so you might appreciate revisiting the history of the Remonstrants as well. Lutheran theology is often characterized as striking a middle course between Calvinism and Arminianism.

May I invite you guys to the free will debate currently going on in Soteriology.

We have some Orthodox people contributing some fantastic posts.

Lutheran theology would be a fresh perspective that is so far missing in the Soteriology board.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

shturt678

Senior Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟20,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Hi folks ... great sharings! I'm with the bondage of the will ... i like to call "enslaved will" as we do not have "some liberty at Art.18 ... do not have the power to reject the Holy Spirit ... WE DO NOT HAVE THE POWER TO APPLY OURSELVES TO THE THINGS THAT MAKE FOR SALVATION OR REJECTION ... elected in eternity ... ALL HAPPENS BY GOD'S NECESSITY . Not yelling .. lol ... just highlighting my opinion ... Christ, however had Free-will; however no Free-will even in the Garden ... Temporal Free-will, yes! ... God uses these choices for his deliverance ... refutable and thank u again for caring for God's Word.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi folks ... great sharings! I'm with the bondage of the will ... i like to call "enslaved will" as we do not have "some liberty at Art.18 ... do not have the power to reject the Holy Spirit ... WE DO NOT HAVE THE POWER TO APPLY OURSELVES TO THE THINGS THAT MAKE FOR SALVATION OR REJECTION ... elected in eternity ... ALL HAPPENS BY GOD'S NECESSITY . Not yelling .. lol ... just highlighting my opinion ... Christ, however had Free-will; however no Free-will even in the Garden ... Temporal Free-will, yes! ... God uses these choices for his deliverance ... refutable and thank u again for caring for God's Word.

I suggest you read some more Scripture and the Lutheran Confessions. You've got some things wrong here.

Upvote 0

shturt678

Senior Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟20,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Thank for ur replay sir ... as a Lutheran with u, i have been contending with my Lutheran brothers for decades that Scriptures must, let me say trump, the Symbolical Books sir ... this is only the tip of the iceberg dealing with these issues, i.e., modern Lutheranism, post- 1930, verses pre-1930, Lutheranism that i'm a strict adherent of sir ... thank u again and if u could be more specific with "a" passage would much enjoy sharing opinions sir ... thank u again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank for ur replay sir ... as a Lutheran with u, i have been contending with my Lutheran brothers for decades that Scriptures must, let me say trump, the Symbolical Books sir ... this is only the tip of the iceberg dealing with these issues, i.e., modern Lutheranism, post- 1930, verses pre-1930, Lutheranism that i'm a strict adherent of sir ... thank u again and if u could be more specific with "a" passage would much enjoy sharing opinions sir ... thank u again.

The Symbolical books are thoroughly Scriptural. Confessional Lutherans understand this fact. There is nothing either Biblically or Confessionally that supports the Reformed position that you posted earlier. What you stated concerning the rejection of the work of the Spirit is not now nor has it ever been a Lutheran teaching.

Upvote 0

shturt678

Senior Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟20,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Thank u for ur Christian agape coupled with humility and meekness. I agree with Art.18's spiritual bondage of the will (enslaved will) where we cannot contribute to our salvation in any way as i stated earlier; however i have to agree to disagree with "This is accomplished by the Holy Spirit, who is given through the Word of God" .. ERROR! (Sacrament sir) ... makes a difference ... THE HOLY SPIRIT IS GIVEN THROUGH A "WATER BAPTISMAL REBIRTH" sir. Refutable at any point sir. thank u again for working with me.

Upvote 0

Edward65

Feb 11, 2013
✟965.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've studied the Bondage of the Will and Shturt678 is correct when he says WE DO NOT HAVE THE POWER TO APPLY OURSELVES TO THE THINGS THAT MAKE FOR SALVATION OR REJECTION ... elected in eternity ... ALL HAPPENS BY GOD'S NECESSITY . THis is Luther's position and Luther based his teaching on the Bible. Luther would not have agreed with the Formula of Concord's rejection of predestination to Hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Edward65

Feb 11, 2013
✟965.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those who argue that Luther in "The Bondage of the Will" didn't endorse predestination to hell haven't understood Luther correctly. Luther most definitely does argue for absolute predestination and that people's destiny is wholly dependent on God whether they are saved or damned. And Luther bases his teaching on the Bible, in particular St Paul who teaches predestination to hell in Romans 9. If you just take Paul as he reads without introducing an alien interpretation of the text then Romans 9:18-21 undoubtedly teaches predestination to heaven and hell:

So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.
You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?
(Romans 9:18-21 ESV)

Upvote 0

bach90

Evangelical Catholic
Feb 4, 2011
USA
✟15,683.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Even if "The Bondage of the Will" supports double predestination (which I don't think it does), so what? Lutherans are not bound to the works of Luther except those in the Book of Concord (SC, LC, SA). And the Formula of Concord in the Book of Concord condemns double predestination as an error.

Upvote 0

Edward65

Feb 11, 2013
✟965.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Even if "The Bondage of the Will" supports double predestination (which I don't think it does), so what? Lutherans are not bound to the works of Luther except those in the Book of Concord (SC, LC, SA). And the Formula of Concord in the Book of Concord condemns double predestination as an error". says Bach90

But the point is since Luther based his teaching of predestination on the Scriptures, what Luther argues for in "The Bondage of the Will" should be accepted as true. Therefore the Formula of Concord in condemning double predestination condemned the teaching of the Bible and therefore the Formula shouldn't be followed because it is teaching false doctrine.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
But the point is since Luther based his teaching of predestination on the Scriptures, what Luther argues for in "The Bondage of the Will" should be accepted as true. Therefore the Formula of Concord in condemning double predestination condemned the teaching of the Bible and therefore the Formula shouldn't be followed because it is teaching false doctrine.

Any and all Scripture MUST be taken in the context of Scripture as a whole. When one reads Romans 9 in the context of Scripture as a whole, there is no way to Scripturally support double predestination. To say such a things is to make sin a product of the will of God. Scripture clearly teaches that sin is not the will of God, but is the natural will of man. That's what On the Bondage of the Will is about.

Read this: Refuting Calvinist Claims that Luther Taught Double-Predestination | CyberBrethren - A Lutheran Blog

Upvote 0

Edward65

Feb 11, 2013
✟965.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Luther's conclusion to The Bondage of the Will he writes:

"I SHALL here draw this book to a conclusion: prepared if it

were necessary to pursue this Discussion still farther. Though I consider

that I have now abundantly satisfied the godly man, who wishes to
believe the truth without making resistance. For if we believe it to be
true, that God fore-knows and fore-ordains all things; that He can be
neither deceived nor hindered in His Prescience and Predestination; and
that nothing can take place but according to His Will, (which reason
herself is compelled to confess then, even according to the testimony
of reason herself, there can be no "Free-will"—in man,—in angel,—or

in any creature!"

One can see from this that Luther doesn't exclude anything from being fore-ordained and predestined so evil as well as good things are predestined to happen. However this doesn't mean that God is implicated in sin and evil. Luther is careful to explain that God only impells people to action according to how he finds them. If they are evil God can't help but bring about an evil result but He isn't implicated in the evil.

Also Luther in saying that God fore-ordains and wills all things and can't be deceived or hindered in his predestination obviously teaches predestination to heaven and hell.​

Also to argue that Romans 9 doesn't teach predestination to hell because in the context of the rest of Scripture it's disproved is mistaken. Other Scripture verses which teach that God wants to save everyone refer to God's intentions through Christ whereas Paul in Romans 9 is referring to God's will of majesty where everything happens only according to how He has willed from eternity.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.