Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've been there, even attempted. I'm an idiot and it was weakness. There is no excusing it. It is not normal. It is not right. It is selfish. Everyone with the mindset or who has attempted needs to get themselves together and change their mindset and habits. There comes a point in every boy's and every girl's life when they become a man and a woman, and that is when they realize that nobody is coming to save them and they have to help themselves and better themselves.
No human saves us.
In fact the very fact you have faith at all is proof the Lord carries you in grace.

So humans are all in need of a savior and we ourselves do not save.
But the Almighty does save.

He's in the small things we take for granted, like faith.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the OP:

Causes and a solution​

Jobes, who is a professor of psychology and associate director of clinical training at CUA, was hesitant to identify causes for the increase, but noted that there have been significant increases in depression, anxiety, and substance abuse.

“Opioid deaths are at record numbers – probably disguising the actual number of suicides as certified as overdose by accident,” he told Aleteia. “So the actual number of intentional deaths may be greater than the ones that are officially reported.” He said there could also be economic reasons, as well as unemployment and the continuing impact of COVID-19.

But, he said, “I would contend that we’ve got a busted mental healthcare system. Most people think that effective treatment for a person who is suicidal is hospitalization – which tends to be very brief – or medication. Neither of those interventions have much empirical support and sometimes they make things worse. And there’s a handful of interventions like the one developed by my lab at Catholic that are highly effective for treating ideation behaviors, but they’re not widely used.”

A method of treatment​

He said that his method — the Collaborative Assessment and Management of Suicidality (CAMS) – is effective in reducing suicidal ideation, hopelessness, and overall “symptom distress.”

“One could argue that if you’re better at identifying people who have serious thoughts of suicide, we have fewer attempts and fewer deaths downstream,” Jobes speculated. “But the field tends to be very focused on behavior and not as much on the suffering.”

However, he said, it’s been an “uphill battle” to get the method to those who would benefit. “Clinicians are overly preoccupied with liability and they’re afraid of being sued for malpractice if there’s a tragic outcome, so they end up doing these better-safe-than-sorry approaches which involve hospitalization and medicating patients in ways that are actually not therapeutic,” he said.

He called his method “a patient centered, collaborative approach where we listen to the patient. They describe the nature of their struggle. We try to keep them out of the hospital – we’re very explicit about trying to keep them out of the hospital – and then the big thing is that we ask them to start using a stabilization plan so we can keep them out of the hospital and they can get through difficult times. And this may sound silly but the the main sort of thrust to the intervention is to ask the patient ‘What makes you want to kill yourself?’”

Research reveals that the vast majority of suicidal people are suicidal over relationship issues, “so we can bring their spouse in for couples therapy or we can try to connect to their kids if they’ve been disconnected with their kids, if their kids no longer talk to them – whatever the relational conflict is, we try to treat that,” Jobes explained.

As well, “there are issues with the self – people that we see have sometimes intense self hatred. And so we have interventions that treat these drivers, and what the patient experiences is being heard and validated and having the things that make them consider suicide actually being addressed and treated within the course of their care. In six to eight sessions we can drop the ideation very quickly; overall symptoms distress comes down, and we can actually move towards consideration of a life worth living.”

Jobes is encouraged by the development of the new 988 number that people can call if they are feeling suicidal.

“That is clearly driving a lot of awareness about the need for alternatives to inpatient and emergency department care because those environments are very expensive and they don’t treat the problem very effectively,” he said. “It’s now a more accessible number, but we already had capacity issues before we had a number that anybody could remember, and now that it’s easier to remember there’s been a 40% increase in calls to the lifeline and there aren’t enough volunteers to really service that increase.”

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sometimes there is people in life that will tell you the world would be a better place without you. I’ve been told that 4 times in my life by a close family member. This person has even been considerate enough to give me the means to take my own life. Anyway that’s just life. The devil will definitely use people to steer you the wrong way. I ought to know!
Just pray:

"Almighty Father, Son and Holy Spirit through the Precious Blood of Jesus Christ and in His Holy Name, I pray for removal of evil, healing from evil and protection from evil... over myself [add list] and my enemies and for Your love and grace."

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Government report says suicides are at a record high; Catholic University of America expert sees number as only the tip of an iceberg, but thinks that there can be solutions.

The solution is saving faith in Jesus Christ.

Living in a post-Christian America, it does not 'astonish' me at all ... that many feel driven to suicide.
Afterall, what hope is there in this world, apart from faith in Jesus?

... The answer: None.

Upvote 0

Faith over Fear

If I had but one breath, I’d use it to praise HIM!
Dec 30, 2023
USA
✟22,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Just pray:

"Almighty Father, Son and Holy Spirit through the Precious Blood of Jesus Christ and in His Holy Name, I pray for removal of evil, healing from evil and protection from evil... over myself [add list] and my enemies and for Your love and grace."
Amen…..

Upvote 0

Lily76_

Pray for the Persecuted
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
scotland
✟473,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I lost my stepdad( dad) to suicide , he was very mentally unwell and had attempted before , i have been in that place , most people dont really want to die they want their pain to stop. i know my dad had depression and heard voices . i know he left home at 5 am went into the city and ended his life , He was unwell . No one in their right mind would do so , its not about being weak its more like how much pain can you take this year i am born again in Jesus i soon will be baptised and Jesus helps me with my pain but my dad didnt find Jesus and he is gone i have lost friends to this as well one in front of me . i live for Jesus .

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think that when society is built on things like "keep BUSY BUSY BUSY" or "Don't be content where you are, aim for MORE MORE MORE" and it is a threat to our ability to spend time with God, it can be a grave danger to our mental health. Even if the ideation is a product of weakness or selfishness, I think that compassion for the suicidal is important. Some people go through periods of suicidality, and when they recover, the look down on the very people who were suffering the same condition as them. I don't think that is right.

(There is one exception though - if someone says "If you dump me, I'm going to kill myself!!" SIGH. Those people really pizz me off)

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I lost my stepdad( dad) to suicide , he was very mentally unwell and had attempted before , i have been in that place , most people dont really want to die they want their pain to stop. i know my dad had depression and heard voices . i know he left home at 5 am went into the city and ended his life , He was unwell . No one in their right mind would do so , its not about being weak its more like how much pain can you take this year i am born again in Jesus i soon will be baptised and Jesus helps me with my pain but my dad didnt find Jesus and he is gone i have lost friends to this as well one in front of me . i live for Jesus .
May his soul dwell with the blessed! My sincere condolences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I can blame people for being weak.

I don't think you realize this, and I'm not going to argue with you on the point - I'm just going to say it and you can think about, ok ?

or not

It's up to you:

You're part of the problem.

Because people don't kill themselves because they are weak. They kill themselves because they are sick. And you can't help them until and unless you understand that.

• Agree
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've been there, even attempted. I'm an idiot and it was weakness. There is no excusing it. It is not normal. It is not right. It is selfish. Everyone with the mindset or who has attempted needs to get themselves together and change their mindset and habits. There comes a point in every boy's and every girl's life when they become a man and a woman, and that is when they realize that nobody is coming to save them and they have to help themselves and better themselves.
Yeah, okay.

You're not in need of ANY kind of help at all...

• Agree
Upvote 0

Faith over Fear

If I had but one breath, I’d use it to praise HIM!
Dec 30, 2023
USA
✟22,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't think you realize this, and I'm not going to argue with you on the point - I'm just going to say it and you can think about, ok ?

or not

It's up to you:

Because people don't kill themselves because they are weak. They kill themselves because they are sick. And you can't help them until and unless you understand that.
My best friend hung her self. She was unable to deal with her spiritual problems and the problems around her in life. Suicide is definitely a sickness! I have not found a cure yet. I have prayed and prayed and no answer has come. At times I have full control over my thoughts then there’s those times I don’t. I just feel like my prayers aren’t getting past the ceiling at this point. So that has really got me worried. I keep questioning myself am I really saved? I don’t know for sure at this point anymore! I truly want to serve the lord!!!

• Prayers
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
My best friend hung her self. She was unable to deal with her spiritual problems and the problems around her in life. Suicide is definitely a sickness! I have not found a cure yet. I have prayed and prayed and no answer has come. At times I have full control over my thoughts then there’s those times I don’t. I just feel like my prayers aren’t getting past the ceiling at this point. So that has really got me worried. I keep questioning myself am I really saved? I don’t know for sure at this point anymore! I truly want to serve the lord!!!
I'm very sorry for your loss. May she rest in peace.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I HATE when people call suicide selfish. Ugh. People who complete suicide are not in the right state of mind. They are very sick. They do not understand what they are doing. A lot of it has to do with untreated mental illness and the stigma attached to it.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I HATE when people call suicide selfish. Ugh. People who complete suicide are not in the right state of mind. They are very sick. They do not understand what they are doing. A lot of it has to do with untreated mental illness and the stigma attached to it.
That feeling of ideation has got to be the worst feeling a brain could have. You're practically begging someone to care about you.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That feeling of ideation has got to be the worst feeling a brain could have. You're practically begging someone to care about you.
Absolutely! I cannot imagine going through that.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Monastic1952

Dec 26, 2023
Honolulu
✟3,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
My sister just got out of ICU after trying to kill herself. She is schizophrenic as well as bipolar.
So sorry about your sister. The reason I sympathize for her is because my own friend actually committed suicide from bipolar, the same mental illness that your sister currently has. Her name was Linda and I knew she was bipolar but I never knew it was so agonizing that she would kill yourself. It was because whenever I spoke to her, she showed only the manic part of herself which was always upbeat. If she had confided to me about her suicidal emotions, I could have prevented her death. Maybe. I don't know, because bipolar can be overwhelming. In Linda's case, it was Unbearable.

Upvote 0

Lily76_

Pray for the Persecuted
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
scotland
✟473,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
My sister just got out of ICU after trying to kill herself. She is schizophrenic as well as bipolar.
I am so sorry you read this I hope God gives her healing and that her mental health issues get better. I have Schizophrenia and Borderline personality Disorder so I can understand why she would want peace, does your sister know Jesus? ? I will pray for her and for you & your family be kind to yourself Brother .

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged

or not

It's up to you:

That's fine. I literally stopped caring to argue with you a decade ago. If I want a headache I can think of a million other things to achieve that.

Upvote 0