✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Stellenbosching
I hadn't heard of this, thanks. It reminded me of being sent to Coventry, except with that, one doesn't actually get to to look after any horses, one is just ignored as if they were off doing so. So I guess opprobrium is a good synonym as it's disgraceful to be either literally or figuratively shunted out of the way for misconduct, making renown a good antonym.

Sheesh that was too much work before my tea. ;)

Antonym of fastidious

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Antonym of frenetic
Equanimity

This is my favourite vanitas:
boyskull.jpg
I like it because, for the youth, death is a mere intellectual concept to be thought about and discussed. While regarding that painting, I simultaneously envy him for his own innocence and mourn for the loss of my own (regarding mortality).

chick-flick
I think by this term, which I would have thought beneath you to use, you mean romantic comedy? I wouldn't be caught dead watching one. Actually, come to think of it, that's the only way I'd watch one.

Antonym of fustian

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Equanimity

This is my favourite vanitas:
View attachment 245551
I like it because, for the youth, death is a mere intellectual concept to be thought about and discussed. While regarding that painting, I simultaneously envy him for his own innocence and mourn for the loss of my own (regarding mortality).
It reminds me of the Three Youths and Three Corpses motief from the late Mediaeval period and Renaissance - "As we are, so shall you be". I think we have too little of the Dance Macabre-type things nowadays. We are too full of hubris to remember that All is Vanity. Thanks for sharing that.
I think by this term, which I would have thought beneath you to use, you mean romantic comedy? I wouldn't be caught dead watching one. Actually, come to think of it, that's the only way I'd watch one.
I think it a particular egregious example of the genre. The term has a nice staccato rhyme, like a flick-knife of opprobrium, though a bit sexist and male chauvinistic, I agree.

Antonym of fustian
Colloquial.

Antonym of Vernacular.

• Winner
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0