Nikti

Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So I was on another thread, and Seashale76 (orthodox I'm pretty sure I've seen her/him around TAW) who posted the following quoted below.

I love the post, and I understand most of the parallels but I've bolded some of the ones I've either never heard of before or would love some input from you guys (feel free to write a piece on all of them, even better!)

The Old Testament is to be understood in a New Testament way, in the light of the Church. The Old Testament contains the preparation for the coming of Christ, promises, prophecies, as well as types and antitypes of Christ. The events of the OT being the shadow and the events of the NT being the truth and fulfillment. Scripture must be explained and the Church interprets it. In 1 Timothy 3:15 we're told that the pillar and foundation of the truth is the Church.

Here are just a few other examples:

Adam and Christ
Eve and the Mother of God
Earthly paradise and Heavenly paradise
Sin through Woman and Salvation through the Virgin
Eating the fruit bringing death and partaking of the Holy Gifts bringing life
The forbidden tree and the saving Cross
The gold serpent on the pole and the saving Cross
The serpent/deceiver and Gabriel preaching good tidings
Woman told she will bring forth children in sorrow and the women at the tomb are told to Rejoice
Salvation from the flood in the ark and salvation in the Church
The three strangers with Abraham and the Holy Trinity
Jacob's ladder and the Mother of God (the ladder of the Son of God's descent to earth)
The sale of Joseph and Christ's betrayal
Slavery in Egypt and the spiritual slavery of man
Crossing the Red Sea and Holy Baptism
The burning/unconsumed bush and the perpetual virginity of the Theotokos
The Sabbath and the day of Resurrection
Circumcision and Baptism
Manna and the Lord's Supper
The Law of Moses and the Law of the Gospel
Sinai and the Sermon on the Mount
The tabernacle and the NT Church
The Ark of the Covenant and the Theotokos
The serpent on the staff and Christ nailed to the Cross
Aaron's rod and our rebirth in Christ
Isaac a rejected sacrifice vs. Christ (even told in OT there would be a lamb- but there was a ram instead- the lamb was Christ)
Moses' account of fall into sin vs. parable of the Prodigal Son

When speaking of certain verses- here's one: Pslams 137:9 says, "Happy [shall he be], that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." I totally agree with it. Little ones refers to our sins being dashed when we repent and turn to Christ. Everything in the Old Testament is a type or an anti-type of Christ. This is how the Church interprets that scripture. In the New Testament we have an example of the Ethiopian Eunuch reading Isaiah and claiming that he couldn't understand it unless it was explained to him. It's because there is a deeper meaning than the literal, when it comes to the scriptures.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I hope everybody is well I've been absent lately and even though I don't contribute much here anyway I always love seeing you guys on the forums! I learn something new everytime :) and a thanks to seashale76 for this post!

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟758,358.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Her post is excellent giving solid examples of church teaching which I have heard at various times. Much of this I believe is accumulated wisdom implicit to the faith. For ex. the analogy of the Theotokos as the new Eve, I believe, was expressed by St. Irenaeus of Lyons in the late 2nd. century. Tradition, I believe, states that St. Irenaeus was in direct apostolic succession to the Apostle of the Lord, St. John.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,470,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The forbidden tree and the saving Cross: the forbidden tree man ate the fruit from and became enslaved to death, we eat the Fruit (the Body of Christ) from the Tree of the Cross and live.

The gold serpent on the pole and the saving Cross: the Israel of old looked to the serpent lifted up and were healed, we look to Christ on the Cross and are healed.

Salvation from the flood in the ark and salvation in the Church: those in the ark we saved from the destruction of the Flood, those in the Church are saved from the destruction of the fallenness of the world.

The three strangers with Abraham and the Holy Trinity: the Three Angels spoke with one voice and Abraham referred to them as Lord.

The burning/unconsumed bush and the perpetual virginity of the Theotokos: the Burning Bush was on fire with the fire of God and yet was as pristine as it was before God spoke. Mary contained within her womb the fire of the presence of God, and yet she remained Virgin.

Sinai and the Sermon on the Mount: Sinai Moses brings the Law carved on Tablets to Israel. the Sermon on the Mount Christ gives the Law that He writes on the human heart to the Apostles.

The tabernacle and the NT Church: oh man, there is so much with this one. I recommend going to an Orthodox Church and asking Father about this when you can. I think it would be best for you to see and smell and touch the similarities.

Aaron's rod and our rebirth in Christ: from the dead wood of Aaron's rod came forth new life in the buds. from us who are dead in our sins, comes new life in Christ.

hope this helps!

Reactions: Nikti
Upvote 0