The absolution controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I remember reading about this in the predecessor's of the ELCA... but it was in an old book from the 1800's, and I had to send it back via interlibrary loan. I've searched the net high and low, and can't seem to find the issues of dispute, nor the resolution.

I know it was over the specific text as to unbelievers being absolved as well as believers.... but thats all I remember. Does anyone have any links? I would think such history would be out there somewhere... but finding it is another story. Far too much it seems was never translated from Norwegian.

D.W.Washburn

The Artist Formerly Known as RegularGuy
Mar 31, 2007
United States
✟24,908.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The Nurnberg Absolution Controversy of 1533 is addressed beginning in the last paragraph on page 128 here:

The Lutheran cyclopedia - Google Book Search

I suspect that this is what you are interested in. The question was whether a Pastor should speak a "General Absolution" to the congregation, not knowing if every individual was repentant.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I googled with the parameters you gave and I found this, if it is of any help to point you at least to the right direction (emphasis mine):

The Hauge Movement in America

Relations with the Church Bodies

From 1825 to 1843 it was the Hauge revival movement which carried on all soul-saving work among us. Since 1884 we have had the Hauge movement carried on by Inner Mission Societies with more or less help from the various church bodies. Between 1843--or more correctly 1846- and 1884 the Hauge movement was carried on solely by church bodies and local congregations. So most of our early Haugean soul winners worked solely as servants of the organized church. Definitely so before 1884, and to a great extent also since.

The attitude of the various church bodies toward a number of the promoters of the Hauge movement will be briefly touched upon now and then. And brief sketches of these men of God will be given.

Some Questions of the Day - Enumeration of the Church Bodies

When Eielsen came back from his extended trip to Norway in 1863, and the excellent leader Gudmund Strand had died in the previous year, the country was in a dreadful condition on account of the Civil War. The Indians had also been committing dreadful depredations in Minnesota . Sinners seemed to be in the hands of an angry God, and His punishing righteousness was raining down upon them from heaven.

During these years, and for some years after, the Norwegian Lutheran preachers were engaged in discussion of three debated questions, but as the Haugeans did not have so much to do with them, we shall just mention them.

1. The slavery question. The Norwegian Lutheran preachers educated at St. Louis in the anti-layman Seminary there, held it was no sin to own slaves. Only the abuse made it sin. This was fiercely contradicted by many of their own church members. The church battle and literary battle about this raged for years. The Haugeans had already taken their stand in 1846 on this question, declaring in their constitution that the slave-traffic was a "dreadful Sin."

2. The absolution or justification of the world, or as one of their leading men declared:

"The Gospel gives, bestows and imparts forgiveness of sin to all who hear, whether they believe it or not." Yet they taught that only believers were saved. Under this, then, came their wholesale traffic of declaring to the people the forgiveness of sin in their communion practice. It was about this un-Biblical practice Elling often declared: "They go to the communion table as the swine to the trough."

You mentioned translations from Norwegian. Now, I don't speak Norwegian, but I do speak Swedish, which means I comprehend written Norwegian sufficiently enough, should you need help there. :wave:

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
We are getting closer...

The development of "The Gospel gives, bestows and imparts forgiveness of sin to all who hear, whether they believe it or not." is where the controversy I'm referring too occurred, but it was not just between the Augustana, and Eielsen synods, there were internal controversies as well. I'll go ahead and request the interlibrary loan books again. They reference a number of Norwegian texts, which I should also be able to acquire...

Whats fascinating to me about the whole deal, is how so much theology made it into the hands of the average dude on the street... these things just weren't disputes between the academics (although in part, obviously as they were so few, but it also made it to the pew level, at least per my understanding).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.