May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Another day another western "progressive" (use very loosely) individual or corporation think their believes override local norms and laws. Getting real tired of these kind of nonsense. There are a few things I find perplexing about this:

1. Why did the band accepted the invitation in the first place knowing full well what Malaysia is like?
2. Why after knowing full well the laws and customs here did they perform live a gay kiss?
3. Why later complain online about being invited to a country that doesn't accept your ideology?

Surprisingly all these can be answered the same: Disrespect. They hated our customs and laws so they accepted the invitation so they can disrespect our country live in person then while going away poured oil unto the fire by dissing us online. Great attitude.

I personally don't like how my country has broad laws against LGBT people. You know what I USE (no longer) do about it? Be respectful and try to change opinion thru reasoning. There is a saying that you attract more flies with honey than vinegar. Bringing people into common ground. Pulling a stunt like this undoes all the good moderate people here have achieved. In a blink of an eye all the good will built up burnt down.

And who do we have that to thank for? Western "progressive" ideologs. Thank you The 1975 and Swatch. For every painstaking brick we put up, you ignorantly torn down two whole walls. But I guess it is a good thing. A blessing in disguise. After all the things I see and read happening in the west currently, maybe it is for the better.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

I personally don't like how my country has broad laws against LGBT people. You know what I USE (no longer) do about it? Be respectful and try to change opinion thru reasoning. There is a saying that you attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

There is a saying attributed to the English writer Jonathan Swift: you can't reason a person out of something they weren't reasoned into in the first place.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I get why 4 guys and their antics makes for a better story than the laws of an entire country. They are celebrities (barely) so that make it inherently exciting. And who disrespected who adds a touch of reality tv style intrigue.

I'm reminded of the inclination to finger wag about silly climate protest stunts rather than talk about the actual climate horror we're slipping into.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
There is a saying attributed to the English writer Jonathan Swift: you can't reason a person out of something they weren't reasoned into in the first place.

There is a local saying here too. Bagaikan tikus membaiki labu. Like mouse repairing a pumpkin. Meaning: Making things worse

If you think people can't be reasoned with then you're not correct. I use to be supportive of the LGBT cause, however after witnessing all the screwed up things done for the cause I turned. Their actions just reasoned me away from the cause. People can change.

And the western "progressive" (or woke) are doing a better job at turning average people towards their opponents than the opponents are at attracting them. I'm one of such individual. While I'm not for anti-LGBT, neither am I going to stop anti-LGBT movement. It is for the best when two extremes annihilate each other.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I get why 4 guys and their antics makes for a better story than the laws of an entire country. They are celebrities (barely) so that make it inherently exciting. And who disrespected who adds a touch of reality tv style intrigue.

I'm reminded of the inclination to finger wag about silly climate protest stunts rather than talk about the actual climate horror we're slipping into.

With a reply like that, it is any wonder why your foreign policies fail so often. Respect requires humility and reciprocity. At this point a wall have better humility and reciprocity than the average western "progressive".

Upvote 0