• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Thanking God For Your Superiority?

Discussion in 'Deeper Fellowship' started by St_Worm2, May 22, 2019.

1. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Senior Member Supporter

+37,782
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    There is a problem with the link. I will try to get it fixed and put the OP back up.

Sorry about this.

--David

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. timewerx

timewerx the village i--o--t--

+4,025
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    It's probably okay to thank God for your superiority if you're actually using your gifts or abilities to help His people who are in need. If only using them to help yourself or your family mostly. Instead of thanking God, you might want to ask forgiveness instead.

And I'm talking about helping brothers and sisters in Faith with real needs and real problems, not people who blew the top of their expensive classic car and don't know how to repair it.

3. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,096
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Hi David,

Looking forward to the link when you fix the problem, the title does bring this passage to mind:

‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’ (Luke 18:1-12)
    My personal opinion, if you don't see yourself as the worst of sinners, there is something lacking in your theology.

Grace and peace,
    Mark

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. LoreneDD

LoreneDD Citizen of the Kingdom

+556
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Well there’s these verses. Not sure what the OP had in mind but it seems that from them it would not be a reply to God. Paul had no problem with his boasts but he rejected Abraham having anything to boast about to God.

1 Corinthians 1
    30It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God: our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. 31Therefore, as it is written: “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord

Psalm 34:2
    My soul will boast in the LORD; let the oppressed hear and rejoice.

Jeremiah 9:23
    This is what the LORD says: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, nor the strong man in his strength, nor the wealthy man in his riches.
    Jeremiah 9:24
    But let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD, who exercises loving devotion, justice and righteousness on the earth--for I delight in these things," declares the LORD.

Romans 4:2
    If Abraham was indeed justified by works, he had something to boast about, but not before God.

1 Corinthians 4:6
    I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us not to go beyond what is written. Then you will not take pride in one of mankind over another.

2 Corinthians 10:17
    Rather, "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

5. Crowned Princess

Crowned Princess Sunflower Jewel

+2,128
    Christian
    Married
    1 Thessalonians 5:18

"give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

This does indicate we should be thankful at all times, also keeping in mind that God is the one who gives you everything you achieve as well as receive in this life.