Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would like to thank the EO Forum members here for their commitment to helping both converts and seekers on this website. Though I am not yet catechumen (hopefully by the end of this week praise God), your words and responses to other peoples questions have helped me in this year long struggle to decide whether or not to convert.

I would like to personally thank Anastasia, ArmyMatt, and Lukaris for their constant presence on most posts, and even to mine. Your work is basically the front line for all internet searches on Orthodoxy because this forum is the first many seekers end up at. Keep up the good work!

I would also like to celebrate the last few days as not only have I been able to get a vehicle so that my year long wait to attend a parish is over, but I also finally overcame my Protestant hesitations towards our Most Holy Mother and for the first time in my life cried tears of Joy over something because of that. Both your posts and this article:
Why Evangelicals Need Mary - Orthodox Reformed Bridge
which I fully recommend to any of you who have not read, have allowed me to finally fully submit to the doctrine of the Church.

I also ask for your prayers as I will be struggling to establish a prayer rule in my life as well as actually pouring over the Gospels. It will no doubt be a struggle as up till now the enemy has done a fair job of keeping me in bondage to my addictions and such. I also ask for advice on how to approach my Baptist family on this subject. I live in a devout family and there are members of my family who are so passionate for Christ that it is difficult for me to even begin to suggest that they may need the Orthodox Church. I was thinking a letter along with invitations to my baptism. That way they will attend a liturgy, and also have some knowledge to go along with that so they don't just assume we are Idolaters and Heretic Catholics like protestants have such a tenancy to do. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you.

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I would like to thank the EO Forum members here for their commitment to helping both converts and seekers on this website. Though I am not yet catechumen (hopefully by the end of this week praise God), your words and responses to other peoples questions have helped me in this year long struggle to decide whether or not to convert.

I would like to personally thank Anastasia, ArmyMatt, and Lukaris for their constant presence on most posts, and even to mine. Your work is basically the front line for all internet searches on Orthodoxy because this forum is the first many seekers end up at. Keep up the good work!

I would also like to celebrate the last few days as not only have I been able to get a vehicle so that my year long wait to attend a parish is over, but I also finally overcame my Protestant hesitations towards our Most Holy Mother and for the first time in my life cried tears of Joy over something because of that. Both your posts and this article:
Why Evangelicals Need Mary - Orthodox Reformed Bridge
which I fully recommend to any of you who have not read, have allowed me to finally fully submit to the doctrine of the Church.

I also ask for your prayers as I will be struggling to establish a prayer rule in my life as well as actually pouring over the Gospels. It will no doubt be a struggle as up till now the enemy has done a fair job of keeping me in bondage to my addictions and such. I also ask for advice on how to approach my Baptist family on this subject. I live in a devout family and there are members of my family who are so passionate for Christ that it is difficult for me to even begin to suggest that they may need the Orthodox Church. I was thinking a letter along with invitations to my baptism. That way they will attend a liturgy, and also have some knowledge to go along with that so they don't just assume we are Idolaters and Heretic Catholics like protestants have such a tenancy to do. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you.

It might be a good idea to include this:

12 Things I Wish I'd Known - Frederica.com

which I think you can get in brochure form. It's just a simple list of things that non-Orthodox will wonder about when they attend a Liturgy, with short explanations that would hopefully at least allay their fears about what they are seeing.

Beyond that, I would not expend too many words about them needing to be Orthodox. Rather, just pray for them.

Mary

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From personal experience of dealing with non-Orthodox family, we simply kept going to church (which they were fine with). It was the news that we were converting that got their ire up. We invited them to our Chrismation and they did come (though they were less than pleased about it). Pray for them, answer any questions they have, and try your hardest not to be drawn into any arguments (which can easily happen if you're not careful).

Upvote 0