John S

I'm Here - For Now
Nov 19, 2010
✟11,359.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thank Goodness for the National Rifle Association (NRA). Because of this organization, James Holmes was prohibited from bringing automatic weapons into a movie theater. George Zimmerman didn't carry a gun either. Because of this organization, guns are prohibited in America.

Oh wait. I'm Sorry. Those aren't accurate statements.

Since Jesus Christ NEVER owned or used a weapon, then neither should ANY of His followers.
It has been awhile, but if you know my opinions, then you already know that I believe that the NRA is an antichristian organization.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Since Jesus Christ NEVER owned or used a weapon, then neither should ANY of His followers.

Automobile crashes kill 40,000 people each year in the US. Jesus never owned or used an automobile. Using your reasoning, a Christian shouldn't use an automobile.

Shopping on Black Friday kills 550 people annually. Jesus never shopped on Black Friday. Using your reasoning, Christians shouldn't shop on Black Friday.

Bathtubs kill 340 people each year. Jesus never owned a bathtub. Using your reasoning, a Christian shouldn't use a bathtub.

It has been awhile, but if you know my opinions, then you already know that I believe that the NRA is an antichristian organization.

I am not a member of the NRA. I do not own a gun. However, I recognize that the vast majority of gun owners use guns safely. To make a blanket statement that Christians shouldn't own guns because Jesus didn't own guns is wrong. Most people who own guns, at least in America, are sportsmen who use them for hunting. They would never think to take a gun into a theatre and shoot innocent people.

The recent shooting in Colorado was a terrible thing. However, the fault for what happened does not lie with the NRA. The fault lies with the shooter, James Holmes. He made the choice to do what he did. No one forced him to open fire on innocent people in a crowded theatre.

Are there certain actions that need to be taken? Probably. We probably do need tighter laws regarding the purchase of high-powered guns and the purchase of large quantities of ammunition. However, the law only goes so far. Remember the mass shooting that occurred in Norway last summer? That happened despite Norway's fairly strict gun control laws.

Upvote 0

John S

I'm Here - For Now
Nov 19, 2010
✟11,359.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Archivist - Since NONE of the things that you mentioned were invented yet, your argument has NO merit. IF He were alive today, He WOULD own a car, a bathtub, a computer, and everything else that the modern world has to offer - except for weapons - which DID exist 2000 years ago.
What did He tell us to do if we were slapped on one cheek? He did NOT tell us to get our gun out.

IJM - I am NOT wrong. If Jesus didn't own or use it, when He could have, then we shouldn't either. The word Christian DOES mean "Christ-like" - behaving like Christ - and NOT whatever we would like it to mean.

CSG - "I'll explain my ownership of firearms to Christ himself". Good luck with that one. Hummina, Hummina, Hummina.

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

I thought Jesus lives today as he did yesterday, so the argument of firearms not invented yet during His time is hogwash. And a bold statement of one explaining his gun ownership to Christ himself is most prideful. As if Christ cares for an excuse. lol.

John S you know well and in full these folks won't change their minds about totting metal, it is their right, so they proclaim proudly.

Which makes me wonder, what exactly is a American Christian? (does that come with NRA membership too?)

Upvote 0

John S

I'm Here - For Now
Nov 19, 2010
✟11,359.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
LL - I have already explained my beliefs about being a "Christian" in previous threads. Those people who know my opinions, know my radical beliefs. I KNOW that they aren't going to change their minds but I'm not going to change my mind either about how wrong they are. I even have Biblical proof.They don't.
When God tells me my sins and faults, I highly doubt that I will be explaining anything.
BTW - I saw that ANOTHER of your threads got closed. I don't have high hopes for the longevity of this thread either. We'll see.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I personally have NOTHING against Christians owning firearms other weapons. Why? well for one thing Christ never did say we couldn't defend ourselves. If He did the Paul would NEVER have used his Roman citizenship to get out of a beating. He was going by the Spirit that is what we are to do. Christ left the crowds to get away and PRAY and have some time to Himself. Also growing up in the country I know that many people use them to HUNT and/or shoot for fun on the range. We can defend ourselves if we feel that that is what we should do. Otherwise, Christians would not report crimes it is OK to do that. If I am getting raped I have the right to try to defend myself and also the right to call the police and have the person charged. Christ did NOT say Christians should NEVER protect themselves or that they could not protect others. For example, my father has at least one firearm in the house, if someone broke in and threaten his life or our lives Christ has nothing against him protecting his family. By this you are saying that if I am law enforcement officer or solider who is a Christian I should not be armed.
By the way, How do you know He would use computers, autos, bathtubs because there are MANY people who do not have these things. I was in a Missions class last semester (I am a Christian Ministry major in college.) We learned that if the world was a village of 100 people( to keep the math easy four or just FOUR percent of the population owns a computer and just two percent of people have a college degree, yet in the west both are encouraged and "needed". Therefore it hard to claim Christ WOULD have such modern convinces.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a member of the NRA. I am a Christian. You, sir, are wrong.

Wait a minute. Hold up here. Let me get this straight. Because you are a christian and belong to the NRA, the NRA is a christian organization. Somebody's bamboozled somebody.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wait a minute. Hold up here. Let me get this straight. Because you are a christian and belong to the NRA, the NRA is a christian organization. Somebody's bamboozled somebody.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted
He said specifically it was anti-Christian. I, being a Christian, would recognize that if it were true. My boozle hasn't been bammed at all, thank you very much, Ted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheChristianSurvivalGuide

Preparedness is Stewardship
May 29, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟16,828.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Since its so prideful of me to answer to Christ and not to you (sarcasm) I'll play a little ball here.

But let me ask two questions to further define the issue, first:

Where in scripture does Christ (or any other scriptures) clearly state that no Christian may own a weapon?

In the same note, where does Christ (or other scriptures) clearly state that no Christian may use any force to defend themselves or others?

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He said specifically it was anti-Christian. I, being a Christian, would recognize that if it were true. My boozle hasn't been bammed at all, thank you very much, Ted.

The wonder of deception is that those who are don't know it.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

May 29, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟16,828.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Bible is much more than a mere survival guide, check it out, you may find answers to your baited/loaded questions. Read, stop playing ball.

Regards to state of mind, which is it; deception a illusion, or illusion a deception?

In the interest of debate it is general etiquette to substantiate one's own claim lest the claim be considered invalid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John S

I'm Here - For Now
Nov 19, 2010
✟11,359.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
All or Nothing - You want PROOF where Jesus said that we should never defend ourselves. Apparently you missed the verses.
When someone slaps you on the cheek, what are you supposed to do?
When someone makes you walk a mile, against your will, what are you supposed to do?
He rode on a donkey. Why wouldn't He have owned a car?
Are you saying that He wouldn't take a bath or a shower if He were alive today?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
All or Nothing - You want PROOF where Jesus said that we should never defend ourselves. Apparently you missed the verses.
When someone makes you walk a mile, against your will, what are you supposed to do?
I did not say he wouldn't, but if over half of His followers live on under $2 a day then reading the Bible I believe He would live THAT kind of simple life. You still didn't answer what to do if they are threatening OTHERS. Nor, did you tell me, what to do about sportsmen or hunters who choose to own fire arms

Upvote 0

Verticordious

Sep 4, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
✟8,768.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is unfortunate that people use their right to bear arms to kill innocent people they don't even know, but the alternative is far, far worse. Banning guns because they're sometimes used to kill people is like saying we should ban food because food sometimes kills people. People have the right to bear arms to protect themselves from out of control governments, which have killed more than a quarter of a billion of their own citizens in the last 100 years alone. Would you rather a few people be murdered or a few hundred million people be murdered?

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is the same Jesus who told His disciples, just before His crucifixion, to sell their cloaks and buy swords, right?

Upvote 0

May 29, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟16,828.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Turn the cheek has to do with making the aggressor take an action which indicates that you are on the same socio-political plane as themselves. It was a cultural issue that does not mean "take a beating because you are a Christian."

Turn the cheek does not have to do with threats of great bodily harm or death. We have discussed this issue in other threads. Do you need us to post contextual commentaries on the matter?

Interesting trivia -

What man in history made this quote?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.

Upvote 0