Textbook on the life of Christ

frump37

Jan 1, 2011
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a random n00b who is looking for a good textbook on the life of Christ. The ones I've checket out seem to try to retell the story of the life of Jesus in their own words without referring to the Scriptures. But I'm looking for a book which refers to Bible verses to prove the chronological order in which events in the gospels occurred, preferably with short backgrounds of cities and towns Jesus visited and Jewish customs related to events in the gospels. Harmonies of the gospels (which I have encountered) do not provide sufficient arguments for the chronological order in which they choose to put events in the gospels.

Any recommendations?

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟47,348.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a random n00b who is looking for a good textbook on the life of Christ. The ones I've checket out seem to try to retell the story of the life of Jesus in their own words without referring to the Scriptures. But I'm looking for a book which refers to Bible verses to prove the chronological order in which events in the gospels occurred, preferably with short backgrounds of cities and towns Jesus visited and Jewish customs related to events in the gospels. Harmonies of the gospels (which I have encountered) do not provide sufficient arguments for the chronological order in which they choose to put events in the gospels.

Any recommendations?
Try posting this in General Theology, with a question like "A good harmonization of Jesus with Bible verse references?"

Upvote 0

Goinheix

Dec 23, 2010
Montevideo Uruguay
✟2,018.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Any recommendations?

I have prepared the harmony of the gospels. Some more author have tried unsussesful. I did sussed. It is in spanish but is easy to understan. Mateo is Matthew, Marcos is Mark, Lucas is Luck, and Juan is John.

Upvote 0

dcyates

May 28, 2005
Calgary, AB.
✟2,162.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Any recommendations?
I don't know if you're still checking this, but if so...
Two books I would recommend are:
Jesus according to Scripture: Restoring the Portrait from the Gospels by Darrell L. Bock (2002); and
The Historical Jesus of the Gospels by Craig S. Keener (2009).

Upvote 0

Pilgrimer

Feb 11, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
✟15,883.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Any recommendations?

Over the 30 years that I have studied New Testament history and archaeology I have accumulated an extensive library. But by far the best single work on the life and times of Jesus is by the esteemed Jewish Christian scholar Alfred Edersheim, "The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah." Edersheim was born and raised an orthodox Jew and is one of the most knowledgeable men about 2nd Temple-period Jewish law and customs of any scholar I know of ... bar none. He was converted to Christ and his expertise in orthodox Christian theology is as deep and broad as his knowledge of Rabbinic theology. I cannot recommend this work highy enough and if I had only one book outside the Scriptures to rely on, this would be the one. The opening chapers of Volume I are a bit difficult as they set the political scene of the 1st century Judeo/Roman world, but once the story begins, the writing is breath-taking in it's ability to paint the New Testament scenes in vivid color and supply exhaustive historical background information every step of the way.

A link to Christian Book Distributors is below and this wonderful resource (a hardbound edition which will prove helpful as you will return to this book again and again for research) is very affordably priced at only $15 ...

Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah: Alfred Edersheim: 9781565638228: Christianbook.com

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Upvote 0

Goinheix

Dec 23, 2010
Montevideo Uruguay
✟2,018.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Any recommendations?

Try reading "The Diamarthyron". It is exactly what you are looking for. It has all the four Gospels ordered by time. It have dated eaxh event in the Julian Calendar.

Upvote 0