Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The family of a second-grade student at a Texas elementary school says their daughter's teacher took her Bible away during a "read to myself" session.

The Liberty Institute, a nonprofit legal group specializing in religious liberty cases, says the family reached out for assistance after a teacher at Hamilton Elementary in Cypress allegedly told the girl not to bring the Bible back to school again.

Texas second-grader says teacher took away Bible during reading time | Fox News

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This is just a teacher over-reaching, that's all. I'm sure it will blow over quickly.

You do? Oh my. Are you sure it's not a sign of the end of the world? I'll give it 3 pages .. as it's Friday I won't place a wager with you that you'll lose. ^_^

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The teacher may not have understood that during a reading moment, a child may bring a Bible to school - although I'm having doubts about a 6yo reading a Bible right now - maybe a child's edition?

I was JUST wondering that, too. I mean, my boys (2nd, 1st, k) love to read the bible but they all have a kid's version of it. It has really nice pictures.

You do? Oh my. Are you sure it's not a sign of the end of the world? I'll give it 3 pages .. as it's Friday I won't place a wager with you that you'll lose. ^_^

Shhh...I'm trying not to wake the tin-hats.:burglar:

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It could happen, but I'm betting she meant to say 8 year old. I didn't even catch it...

Fingers hit the wrong keys, yes.

And yes on the tin hats - maybe they sleep in on Friday. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Water Cross

Glory may be fleeting, but obscurity is forever
Mar 19, 2014
✟8,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The family of a second-grade student at a Texas elementary school says their daughter's teacher took her Bible away during a "read to myself" session.

The Liberty Institute, a nonprofit legal group specializing in religious liberty cases, says the family reached out for assistance after a teacher at Hamilton Elementary in Cypress allegedly told the girl not to bring the Bible back to school again.

Texas second-grader says teacher took away Bible during reading time | Fox News

There are far too many cases like this to miss the very obvious fact that public school teachers require training in civil rights and the law.

Wouldn't a teachers conference be a place where this could be done? Because this is getting to be ridiculous.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is just a teacher over-reaching, that's all. I'm sure it will blow over quickly.

I'm sort of hoping the lunatic fringe goes ballistic on this only to find you nailed it and the teacher in question is Christian.

Also as others have already mentioned a standard Bible is probably not something a 2nd grader would actually read. That raises the possibility that the parents actually did send the kid with a non-children's Bible and the child could not read it and that was the reason the teacher said don't bring it, followed by bring something you can read.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Article said:
In a statement to Click2Houston.com, the Cypress Fairbanks Independent School District said while it hasn't confirmed the allegations, the Bible meets guidelines for books that students are allowed to read during independent reading sessions.
"Religious material, including the Bible, that meets these guidelines would be permissible for a classroom assignment and/or independent reading," the statement read.

The district has already stated that the student was fine. Unless she was making a disturbance (which I am not claiming happened), then the teacher did just overreact and this will go away after she gets corrected.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And yes on the tin hats - maybe they sleep in on Friday. ^_^

Oh, this is just so infuriating.:mad: You knee-jerk, weak-minded liberals just don't get it, do you? It's aluminum, not tin.:doh:

Upvote 0