Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought about this for awhile and realized the only thing i know is from movies so I closed my eyes and thought of when Jesus talked on this...

well of course this is the first thing I thought about

Lu 9:54 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

Lu 9:55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

Lu 9:56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.

Sooooo...when it comes to testing the spirits when we talk of casting away of demons...number one I sure don't have the notion to talk to demons...so how would one test them? What does scripture say on this?

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The spirit in this verse, as well as many other verses, is referring to the disposition of the mind or the mineset of the person. The disciples were of the Old Testament mindset. They were drawing these thoughts from what happened in Old Testament times. God didn't send Jesus to deal with people with that mindset.

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep...I caught that :) and thought about someones thread yesterday where they kept bringing up Gods wrath..

I realize that we have to look at ourselves to see what manner of spirit we might be operating like...now did Jesus actually compare them to an actual spirit? Or was he talking of a mindset? Mans mindset or a spirits mindset?

I know our fight is not against flesh and blood but spirits and principalities in high places...I think I worded that right...yikes...please feel free to correct me

So...if an angel suddenly appears...do we test this angel? This is another thing I have heard...if so...how...what does scripture have to say?

I just hear it alot when people talk of the casting away of demons...how does one test the spirit in this case?

Upvote 0

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
Hidden with Christ in God (Col. 3:3)
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So...if an angel suddenly appears...do we test this angel? This is another thing I have heard...if so...how...what does scripture have to say?

I just hear it alot when people talk of the casting away of demons...how does one test the spirit in this case?

I don't know if things are the same now, but many years ago, when I was a bank teller, I was trained to recognize counterfeit bills by repeatedly handling genuine bills. IOW, do to my familiarity with what was genuine, I could easily spot a fake or a counterfeit. Personally, I believe that the same principle applies with "spirits", "angels" and even with Christ (there are false Christs and other Jesus' galore). Jesus put it this way:

"And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers." - John 10:4-5

As those who purport to know the Good Shepherd, we need to truly "know His voice". How is this accomplished? Well, for starters, it's accomplished by spending quality time in humbling one's self before the Lord in both prayer and sincere study of His Word.

Regarding angels, Paul wrote:

"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed." - Galatians 1:6-9

Paul said that if any angel appears unto you and preaches unto you any gospel that is contrary to the gospel message which he preached, then let such an angel be accursed. Of course, the only way that you're going to be able to discern the same is if you're so familiar with Paul's gospel (remember my money example) that you can easily recognize that which is contrary to it. IOW, you're going to have to spend some serious, prayerful time in the study of God's Word.

Regarding spirits, we read:

"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they be of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error." - I John 4:1-6

There is a "spirit of truth" and a "spirit of error". In his gospel, John rightly identified both, when he wrote:

"Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you." - John 16:13-15

The Holy Spirit is "the Spirit of truth". Please notice that Jesus said that the Holy Spirit "shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak". When Jesus said that the Holy Spirit "shall not speak of himself", He wasn't saying that the Holy Spirit wouldn't inspire men to write about Himself, but rather that the Holy Spirit wouldn't be the One Who determined what it was that He was going to say. No, the Holy Spirit only speaks that which He hears, even as Jesus did:

"I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him. They understood not that he spake to them of the Father. Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things." - John 8:26-28

Jesus said that He could do nothing of Himself, but that He only spoke that which He heard from His Father and, similarly, the Holy Spirit only speaks that which He hears, too. Contrast this with Satan, however:

"I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father." - John 8:38

Jesus continued:

"Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." - John 8:43-44

Whereas neither Jesus nor the Holy Spirit "speak of themselves", but only speak that which They hear, Satan "speaks of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it". IOW, Satan is not repeating somebody else's lies in the same manner in which both Jesus and the Holy Spirit repeat the truths of the Father, but he is actually the very author of the lies himself. Anyhow, Satan is the one who is behind what John called "the spirit of error". John also noted that those who are of "the spirit of error" will "speak of the world and the world hears them" (I John 4:5). IOW, whereas Christ calls us to die unto this world and to live for the world which is to come, those who are led of "the spirit of error" will be primarily focused on this world and this life. Oh, you know, they'll go on and on and on about how God wants you to live an "abundant life" HERE and how you can have "Your best life now" (Joel Osteen). That type of stuff. Recognize it for what it is when you hear it. Fortunately, John also spoke of our protection from the same:

"But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things". - I John 2:20

Again:

"These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." - I John 2:26-27

My dear sister, your protection is found in cultivating a relationship with the Holy Spirit, the very Spirit of truth Whom the Father sent to lead you and guide you into all truth. Again, John wrote:

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." - John 14:26

That was Jesus speaking and you need to lay hold upon this promise and never let it go. My dear sister, your best weapon against error is the truth. Paul, inspired of the Spirit, forewarned:

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils..." - I Timothy 4:1

There are "seducing spirits", my dear sister, and devils or demons who teach all sorts of erroneous doctrines. Let's not kid ourselves. Just look to this forum. What (who) do you suppose is behind much of the division here? These aren't only "opinions" that are being argued here. There are some who are being inspired by the Spirit of truth and some who are being inspired by the spirit of error. That's just the way that it is and your best safeguard is to devote yourself to prayerful study of God's Word.

Reactions: TamaraLynne
Upvote 0

ancientsoul

queen of broken hearts
May 27, 2008
in the Spirit ... God willing ...
✟30,779.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
something to think about ...

one can't test something one doesn't have the answer to .... so ...

to have the answer this is what one must do ... for the most part ... and don't forget more prayer and meditation thatn usual ... one must first learn the promises of God to you ... then you will recognize His voice ... because you know what He would say to you and what He would not say to you ... in that time learn everything about Jesus and God and the Holy Spirit and HOW THEY operate ... then ... and only then ... learn of the spirits not of the Lord ... anger, lust, greed, pride ... the list is endless ... fear ... and such ... while you are learning this you will need to pray much and stay deeply in His Word ... if you choose the course of learning the spirits, it's not much of a pleasant walk off and on ... cuz, what we learn ... we are expected to use ... when you begin learning of the spirits not of the Lord ... then, you begin the walk of spiritual warfare ... if you stop there ... and don't learn of the others ... it's all good ... because you will have the knowledge to know it is not Him ... He says His sheep know His voice ... so, it's good for all to be a sheep and learn of His promises to you ... He loves you ... He doesn't leave you unarmed :)

Reactions: TamaraLynne
Upvote 0

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
Hidden with Christ in God (Col. 3:3)
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TamaraLynne:

I'm really pressed for time right now, but I just wanted to add something which relates to what both ancientsoul and I have already stated:

"For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil." - Romans 16:19

Paul admonished the Romans to be "wise unto that which is good" and "simple", as in "simpletons" or those who don't know too much, "concerning evil". IOW, we're not to really go off learning about "demons" and such because to do so could actually open the door to the occult. Instead, if we're truly "wise unto that which is good" (again, remember my money analogy), then, by default, we'll also recognize that which is "evil" when it comes our way. Hopefully, this makes sense.

I've gotta run...(not from demons...lol)

Upvote 0

ancientsoul

queen of broken hearts
May 27, 2008
in the Spirit ... God willing ...
✟30,779.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
TamaraLynne:

I'm really pressed for time right now, but I just wanted to add something which relates to what both ancientsoul and I have already stated:

"For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil." - Romans 16:19

Paul admonished the Romans to be "wise unto that which is good" and "simple", as in "simpletons" or those who don't know too much, "concerning evil". IOW, we're not to really go off learning about "demons" and such because to do so could actually open the door to the occult. Instead, if we're truly "wise unto that which is good" (again, remember my money analogy), then, by default, we'll also recognize that which is "evil" when it comes our way. Hopefully, this makes sense.

I've gotta run...(not from demons...lol)

yes ...

some food for thinking about ... the verse that says to be gentle as a dove and wise as a serpent ... might not be exact wording ... anyway ... a dove is a very gentle bird ... but watch what happens when you mess with one of her little ones ... :) ... gentle, but wise, but fierce in love and loyalty ... all of which is wiser than the serpent ... among other things ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I thought about this for awhile and realized the only thing i know is from movies so I closed my eyes and thought of when Jesus talked on this...

well of course this is the first thing I thought about

Lu 9:54 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

Lu 9:55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

Lu 9:56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.

Sooooo...when it comes to testing the spirits when we talk of casting away of demons...number one I sure don't have the notion to talk to demons...so how would one test them? What does scripture say on this?

well . i can't see spirits . but sometimes they insert thoughts into my thought process . it's like a silent conversation . but quite often it seems like i'm the one thinking . really you're testing the quality of people's words .. and spirit/character by which they come out . but sometimes it's your thought process that you're testing .

Upvote 0