Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
TheTruthinFiction said:
This is overdue but I've been pretty busy lately. A few months ago, I came to this site to talk about a topic in the music section. My wife and children were going to church every week without me. I decided to come into this section and ask about some problems I was having with Christianity, in particular Christians. From the start, I have said that I'm a believer but didn't call myself a Christian because I didn't go to church. So I used the other religion icon. I'm not going into the mess of answers that I was getting, it's unimportant now.

My family, grandmother, aunts, grandfather were very religious people, all could be found at church on Sunday but because of my parents work schedules, I was not in church. As I got older, I became even more detached from religion all together. Being involved in sports, left little time to really consider religion.

After some hard times (losing my maternal grandmother, my dad, 2 uncles, 2 cousins and having 3 friends from childhood entered into drug rehabs or jail), age 12-20, I decided to look into religion. It was all confusing to me. What I read in the Bible was not how I seen people acting. I started college and pushed religion away again. During this time, I met my now wife, who was very active in a church. Her parents insisted anyone she dated be active in church as well. Maybe for 3 or 4 months, I went every Sunday but then my college football season started and I now had football games on Saturdays, sometimes not getting home until Sunday, so those visits to the church stopped. By this time, my wife's parents had accepted me into their family and understood. Time went on but still no church for me.

I want everyone to realize at this point, I did believe very much in Jesus and prayed before every game that He would protect me, my teammates and the opposing team from injury. If you asked me, I was a believer but not a Christian, simply because the name seemed to be a way for others to justify their actions. A big argument recently on this forum, is about asking Jesus into your heart, how it is wrong because it's not in the Bible.

Back in 1998, there was a kid that I had become close to who was a patient at a Children's Hospital, who had leukemia. After each game, I would visit him. He was my biggest fan. One day, I was holding his hand, the next day he was gone. I dropped my college football career because I was starting to realize there is a much higher power than me. During these years, I had lost 2 more cousins (suicides), an uncle (suicide), 5 more friends to drug rehab or jail and my mom was diagnosed with Renal Cancer.

What I did have was my wife and a newborn son. Priorities on how to make sure they were taken care of, getting my second degree, this one a Business degree (this one was more practical than the Psychology degree I had). A few years passed, many prayers for my mom (my hero) and she made it through after having a kidney removed. In 2001, I had started a job as a Human Resources manager for a large cell phone company. We were getting ready to have our second child, a little girl. The breaks were starting to fall for us. Having just bought a new house, helping my mom move closer to us but then in a 4 month span, 3 cousins killed in a car accident, 2 more cousins committed suicide, another uncle to suicide and my grandmother was starting to fall, breaking her hip.

My wife and children were going to church every week without me. My priorities were still to take care of my family, not just my wife, kids and mom but my cousins, helping friends out that were jobless, some even homeless. In the last year, I had started to visit the church my wife and kids went to. I've went into the problems that came from that and those are not important now. What was important was that I, "talked" to Jesus everyday. A few weeks ago, my best friend from childhood, committed suicide, waking me up again to the fact that there is a higher power than me, than scientific evidence and decided it was time to become baptised.

***Two important factors to this***
When I was 14 or 15, I was playing with a gun. The gun fired, luckily the gun had been dropped by the previous owner which caused the sights to be off causing the bullet to miss me, even though it was close enough that I could not hear for 3 days out of one ear.

A few years ago, I woke up, stepped out of bed and fell flat on my face. My legs had no feeling in them. For the next week, I couldn't stand, needing a wheelchair to visit the Doctor who had no answer to what was wrong with me. Diabetes tests, MRIs but nothing was showing up as wrong. A week later, I was able to walk a little but still couldn't feel my legs. It took almost 6 months for me to have the confidence to even drive a car. Still no medical reason why this happened. Even to this day, there is slight numbness in my lower legs but I can walk fine, play with my kids fine and can live normal. It came and left without reason.
All of these things combined smacked me into reality again, that there is a Higher Power. The baptism went fine, my Pastor has already put to me work with troubled teens. I made the decision to be baptised, to accept the Christian label because I feel that God is more powerful than anyone or anything in my life. I can see my family growing stronger now that we are in church together.

I've said enough lately to probably get myself booted from the site but as I said with everything else, not my concern. My honesty and my real attempts to help others on here is enough for me. I wouldn't be able to help people if I didn't have God by my side and hopefully that has been seen.

Thank you,
Tim
Great tesimony.I avoided this obvious truth until just over 2 years ago.God is gracious beyond belief.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wish the power of God's holy spirit enters all fruits and vegetables that all people eat - no matter how poor or how rich they are - everywhere on this planet to heal their minds and bodies. Satan wants to destroy our minds and bodies through drugs and alcohol. No more pain from you Satan. Leave us alone!:groupray:

Upvote 0

Feb 18, 2006
✟15,138.00
Faith
Protestant
I'm really encouraged that you've taken the step towards faith. Now just make sure that your faith is rooted in the Lord, and not in your troubles. God will help you through any situation you get into. As you've seen in your life, terrible things can happen to anyone. Remain strong in the Lord through the good and bad times, and you'll continue to grow in your walk with Him.

Upvote 0

TheAJKMan

The High Chocolate Llama
Mar 15, 2006
South Africa
✟23,039.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tim, thanking for sharing both your testimony and a part of your life with us. It touches me when someone takes a step of faith/courage like that and shares of themselves knowing that it bring them ridicule and pain from the people they're reaching out to. I hope that your search for truth andhappines comes to fruition real soon. May God continue to e with you and strengthen you all the time and all the way. :)

Love and peace to all
TheAJKMan

Upvote 0

jaareshiah

Apr 1, 2006
✟15,114.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Tim, I truly feel for you, for you have lost more of family and friends than most of us will have lost in a lifetime. For those who committed suicide, this could most likely from being despondent, lacking any purpose or forward drive in their lives. With world conditions deteriating, it is no wonder that many are loosing hope of having any solid future at all. Despite mankind’s astounding technological progress, individuals today still ask the same fundamental questions: ‘Why am I here? Where am I going? What is life all about?’ If a person does not get satisfactory answers, his life will lack true purpose. Do many people sense this shortfall? A study carried out in Germany in the late 1990’s revealed that half the respondents often or sometimes felt that life seems to have no purpose. Perhaps a similar situation exists where you live.
Without a purpose in life, an individual has little bedrock upon which to build personal goals. Many try to compensate for this deficiency by pursuing a successful career or by accumulating wealth. Still, the emptiness can be haunting. Having no purpose in life even disturbs some to the point that they no longer wish to live.
Who is in a better position to give such guidance than the Creator? Since he put humans on the earth in the first place, he must know why they are here. The Bible explains that Jehovah, our Maker, created humans so that they could populate the earth and care for it, being its stewards. In all their activities, humans were to reflect his qualities, such as justice, wisdom, and love. Once we understand the reason why Jehovah created us, we know why we are here.-Genesis 1:26-28.
When God created the first man Adam and later Eve and placed them in the Garden of Eden, he purposed that they enjoy life on this earth forever, as long they fully submitted to his command of not eating from the "tree of knowledge of good and bad".(Gen 2:17) They, along with all their obedient offspring had the prospect of living life without end here on this earth. God had placed them in a Paradise for these and their children to forever enjoy. Yet, because of Adam's rebellion there in the Garden, what future prospects were there for all of Adam's offspring ? Has God changed his mind regarding this earth as being mankind's home ?
At Isaiah 45, here our Creator, Jehovah God says: "For this is what Jehovah has said, the Creator of the heavens, He the [true] God, the Former of the earth and the Maker of it, He the One who firmly established it, who did not create it simply for nothing, who formed it even to be inhabited:"(Isaiah 45:18) David, even before Isaiah was inspired to write the above, said also under inspiration: "The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it."(Psalms 37:29) Thus, the earth was built for us humans to live on it forever under righteous conditions. Another Psalmist wrote: "As regards the heavens, to Jehovah the heavens belong, but the earth he has given to the sons of men."(Psalms 115:16)
This is a beautiful expression that ties in with what Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount: "Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth."(Matt 5:5) Then some three years later, when nailed to a torture stake, Jesus told the evil-doer to the side of him: "Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in Paradise."(Luke 23:43) The evil-doer was most likely a Jew and the only Paradise that he would be aware of was the one in the Garden of Eden.
Yet, what is our Creator, Jehovah God to do about the sickness and death that afflicts everyone ? In using a delicious banquest or meal as a backdrop, our Creator, Jehovah God, says of these two enemies: "And Jehovah of armies will certainly make for all the peoples, in this mountain, a banquet of well-oiled dishes, a banquet of [wine kept on] the dregs, of well-oiled dishes filled with marrow, of [wine kept on] the dregs, filtered. And in this mountain he will certainly swallow up the face of the envelopment that is enveloping over all the peoples, and the woven work that is interwoven upon all the nations. He will actually swallow up death forever, and the Sovereign Lord Jehovah will certainly wipe the tears from all faces."(Isaiah 25:6-8) Thus, God will "swallow up death forever" by removing the staining effects our inherited sin from Adam.
Hence, in the final book of the Bible, there is found a prophetic statement that brings joy to untold numbers of people. The apostle John was told to write this: "With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: "Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away."(Rev 21:3,4) This is not a view of heaven, for death, sorrow, nor mourning has never been there, but rather this a guaranteed statement that this earth, where mankind resides, will soon be rid of all sickness, sorrow, mourning, and lack of purpose in life, for John was told to write: " And the One seated on the throne said: "Look! I am making all things new." Also, he says: "Write, because these words are faithful and true."(Rev 21:5) God has not changed his purpose toward making this earth obedient mankind's home forever under perfect , righteous conditions.

Upvote 0

TheTruthinFiction

Apr 5, 2005
✟8,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
reformedfan said:
this is exactly right. Everyone including Satan believes in a 'higher power', this, coupled with the 'willingness to accept the Christian label' will not save you. Any pastor that baptized you on that basis & put you to work with kids in a ministry capacity should be viewed with suspicion.

I've been away for awhile, sort of a peaceful time in life where I tried to work on removing negative feelings and emotions, then came back on here, think it's been 7 or 8 months since I was last on this forum. And first, I would like to thank everyone who has posted their well wishes and to anyone who could get something positive out of my testimony. There are too many to name off since I was last online so everyone, thanks.

To the quoted part from Reformed Fan, I wasn't even going to acknowledge your reply, but maybe I should. I am not working directly with the church anymore with the kids that I mentioned in my original post, instead doing it on my own. And where in my testimony did I say that accepting the Christian label would save me? This is the exact negative response that slowed me from accepting that, "label" the comment was made in reference to me posting for a few months before the testimony that I had accepted Jesus, it was the negative group of Christians that made me decide not to group myself as a Christian with an icon on my profile.

What I would be suspicous of is someone who knows what Satan believes in, but that is just me. I really don't get it. I had always remembered you as being very positive. I'm pretty sure it's not the Pastor or Minister that puts people to work in a ministry, because if it is, who puts the Pastor to work? It's good to see that things haven't changed much, many positive responses and one that picks apart a testimony to find something to preach about and to be negative about.

Save the negative comeback, it's not a problem, no hard feelings. Thanks again to everyone else.

Upvote 0

aldenmarshall

Mar 18, 2006
✟7,634.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
TheTruthinFiction said:
This is overdue but I've been pretty busy lately. A few months ago, I came to this site to talk about a topic in the music section. My wife and children were going to church every week without me. I decided to come into this section and ask about some problems I was having with Christianity, in particular Christians. From the start, I have said that I'm a believer but didn't call myself a Christian because I didn't go to church. So I used the other religion icon. I'm not going into the mess of answers that I was getting, it's unimportant now.

My family, grandmother, aunts, grandfather were very religious people, all could be found at church on Sunday but because of my parents work schedules, I was not in church. As I got older, I became even more detached from religion all together. Being involved in sports, left little time to really consider religion.

After some hard times (losing my maternal grandmother, my dad, 2 uncles, 2 cousins and having 3 friends from childhood entered into drug rehabs or jail), age 12-20, I decided to look into religion. It was all confusing to me. What I read in the Bible was not how I seen people acting. I started college and pushed religion away again. During this time, I met my now wife, who was very active in a church. Her parents insisted anyone she dated be active in church as well. Maybe for 3 or 4 months, I went every Sunday but then my college football season started and I now had football games on Saturdays, sometimes not getting home until Sunday, so those visits to the church stopped. By this time, my wife's parents had accepted me into their family and understood. Time went on but still no church for me.

I want everyone to realize at this point, I did believe very much in Jesus and prayed before every game that He would protect me, my teammates and the opposing team from injury. If you asked me, I was a believer but not a Christian, simply because the name seemed to be a way for others to justify their actions. A big argument recently on this forum, is about asking Jesus into your heart, how it is wrong because it's not in the Bible.

Back in 1998, there was a kid that I had become close to who was a patient at a Children's Hospital, who had leukemia. After each game, I would visit him. He was my biggest fan. One day, I was holding his hand, the next day he was gone. I dropped my college football career because I was starting to realize there is a much higher power than me. During these years, I had lost 2 more cousins (suicides), an uncle (suicide), 5 more friends to drug rehab or jail and my mom was diagnosed with Renal Cancer.

What I did have was my wife and a newborn son. Priorities on how to make sure they were taken care of, getting my second degree, this one a Business degree (this one was more practical than the Psychology degree I had). A few years passed, many prayers for my mom (my hero) and she made it through after having a kidney removed. In 2001, I had started a job as a Human Resources manager for a large cell phone company. We were getting ready to have our second child, a little girl. The breaks were starting to fall for us. Having just bought a new house, helping my mom move closer to us but then in a 4 month span, 3 cousins killed in a car accident, 2 more cousins committed suicide, another uncle to suicide and my grandmother was starting to fall, breaking her hip.

My wife and children were going to church every week without me. My priorities were still to take care of my family, not just my wife, kids and mom but my cousins, helping friends out that were jobless, some even homeless. In the last year, I had started to visit the church my wife and kids went to. I've went into the problems that came from that and those are not important now. What was important was that I, "talked" to Jesus everyday. A few weeks ago, my best friend from childhood, committed suicide, waking me up again to the fact that there is a higher power than me, than scientific evidence and decided it was time to become baptised.

When I was 14 or 15, I was playing with a gun. The gun fired, luckily the gun had been dropped by the previous owner which caused the sights to be off causing the bullet to miss me, even though it was close enough that I could not hear for 3 days out of one ear.

A few years ago, I woke up, stepped out of bed and fell flat on my face. My legs had no feeling in them. For the next week, I couldn't stand, needing a wheelchair to visit the Doctor who had no answer to what was wrong with me. Diabetes tests, MRIs but nothing was showing up as wrong. A week later, I was able to walk a little but still couldn't feel my legs. It took almost 6 months for me to have the confidence to even drive a car. Still no medical reason why this happened. Even to this day, there is slight numbness in my lower legs but I can walk fine, play with my kids fine and can live normal. It came and left without reason.
All of these things combined smacked me into reality again, that there is a Higher Power. The baptism went fine, my Pastor has already put to me work with troubled teens. I made the decision to be baptised, to accept the Christian label because I feel that God is more powerful than anyone or anything in my life. I can see my family growing stronger now that we are in church together.

I've said enough lately to probably get myself booted from the site but as I said with everything else, not my concern. My honesty and my real attempts to help others on here is enough for me. I wouldn't be able to help people if I didn't have God by my side and hopefully that has been seen.

Thank you,
Tim
Dear TIM,
Jews were chosen to receive the law and the prophets, only a few of them were ever followers of God, according to Jeremiah and Isaiah. As for being a Christian, one must be drawn by the Holy Spirit in order to become a follower of Jesus (1 Cor 12.3) and no one comes to Jesus except God the Father draw him. I have many problems with God and his teaching but it is my own arrogance and selfishness that is wrong, not God. I am new to this mode and low tech, trying to begin a church in NYC soon but I suppose I cannot give my site according to rules if I understand correctly, but the site has articles on righteousness, politice, preaching, marrying under the guidence of the Holy Spirit... I pray God guide and encourage you and your family in his ways. Sincerely, Alden Marshall

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Enacielle777

"See possibility. Here hope. Speak love."
Mar 31, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟9,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi All,
I see both sides of this debate. Though I don't agree with being emailed after becoming a christian to remove a christian icon, I agree with separating christians from non-christians on a website that is geared toward providing Christians a place to come. Just as non-christians have sites they can go to, we need places we can come to talk with others like us. If we had non-christians in the christian rooms discussing the holy spirit and deliverance and other issues, don't you think it would cause some issues. We are here to encourage one another. So there is some valid reason for allowing only christians in certain rooms.

Tim, welcome to the family of God and I am sorry it was not pleasing from the beginning. I have been hurt more by church people than by non-church people. I think one important thing to remember is that we are all human. Sometimes we have a hard time remembering that.

Welcome and I am sorry that is wasn't pleasant from the beginning.

Upvote 0
C

Cyberdyne1

dllewis1958 said:
Being a Holy Ghost filled Born again Christian my spirit is very uneasy about some of the other so called Christians on this site..
Whoa...

Watch what you say. I just signed up here and made what I considered were some serious posts of what are considered Christians at this forum. This was due to some of the very questionable postings I have seen...

I have already been warned by a moderator, and labeled as a trouble maker. I suspect my time here will be short and unwelcomed. And it's too bad, cause I really need some fellowship such as it is at a forum...

And by a sheer coincidence,my name it Tim also...

:cry:

Reactions: reformedfan
Upvote 0

Calebofthepromisedland

Aug 1, 2006
Hahira, Ga. One stop light town just north of Vald
✟19,024.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Thank you,
Tim
I'm sure, Tim, that someone has noticed the way you try to help. God most certainly does. What is in your heart is also before God. If He approves then getting booted from CF is the least of your worries. Also, let me say this. I do think you misunderstand the word Christian. You are not a christian because you attend church. You are a christian because Christ is in your heart. I won't go into the debate of asking God into your heart. But, the idea of having to go to church to be a christian comes from tradition. Religion also comes from tradition in a sense. Tradition is the death of faith. Jesus sought to destroy tradition and religion when He came to earth. The reason being that we tend to perform the task of tradition perfunctorily and not as penance to God. If we are not praising God and following Him, then we are only paying lip service to God. He does not appreciate this. So, you say you are a believer, yet you did not go to church. Well, a good church is like a second home with family as close to you as true family. I think had you been in a church that was right for you the tuff times you went through might have been easier. But, that does not mean you aren't a christian. You seem to be a christian to me if you are walking with God and working to help people in God's name. It is true that many people claim christianity and do not live their lives accordingly. They make a mockery of our belief and some are ignorent to the damage they are causing but their are those who know and do it anyway. If you are truly upset by this, pray God will move in our world again and set all our hearts ablaze for Him.

Upvote 0

kaythib

Sep 11, 2006
Oak Harbor
Visit site
✟15,590.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you Radagast, Tim really respects your opinion. We were all very happy that he took the step of baptism. I can only hope that everyone will be as nice.
I am getting studies for my baptism now.

Upvote 0

kaythib

Sep 11, 2006
Oak Harbor
Visit site
✟15,590.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi All,
I see both sides of this debate. Though I don't agree with being emailed after becoming a christian to remove a christian icon, I agree with separating christians from non-christians on a website that is geared toward providing Christians a place to come. Just as non-christians have sites they can go to, we need places we can come to talk with others like us. If we had non-christians in the christian rooms discussing the holy spirit and deliverance and other issues, don't you think it would cause some issues. We are here to encourage one another. So there is some valid reason for allowing only christians in certain rooms.

Tim, welcome to the family of God and I am sorry it was not pleasing from the beginning. I have been hurt more by church people than by non-church people. I think one important thing to remember is that we are all human. Sometimes we have a hard time remembering that.

Welcome and I am sorry that is wasn't pleasant from the beginning.
That's ok. I agree with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

7kingskid7

here i am, send me
Apr 20, 2007
Australia
✟16,264.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
hey everyone i know that you all have a busy day but i hope you have time to read my testimony

i can remember when i was 4 and the only thing i can remember is my parents fighting everynight and i remember sitting in the hallway watching through a crack of the sliding door and just crying and i thought they were fighting because oe me and that i had done something wrong and then they divorced when i was 6 and i thought that was my fault i onlt had one real friend through primary school and i thought something was wrong with me and that no one liked me and then when i was 8 my Dad moved to Perth and i thought it was because he wanted to get away from me but during the time of my Dad being away my Mum had lots of boyfriends and she was always to busy for me and during this time i got sexually abused and i thought i had done something wrong and that i was a bad person all throught my life i thought everything was my fault and that no one loved me and then Dad came back and i thought yay finally something good but he came back with my now stepmum and brothers and i didn't like them because all i wanted was my Dad back and they always took him away from me and made it harder and that caused more fights and thats wat i hated most because everytime i see/hear or am in a fight i see me when i was four sitting in the hallway crying and so i always used to back down but then my one true frien invited me to a youth group and i went for about 3 months and then Dad stopped me going because he didn't like all the big kids around but i think there is a deeper reason then that and then when i was at mums house about 6 months later i went to youth again and that night the pastor talked about his life about how he thought no one loved him and towards the end right before an altar call he said he had a vision and he saw Jesus looking at him and Jesus said son i love you and the the pastor says and he loves each and every one of you and i burst into tears and my life was changed instantly that night and now all is good i have heaps of freinds and i help as many people as i can my family situation is still a bit weird but i am happy and every day my love for my savioiur grows

i hope this is an encouragement to you all always remember God loves you and he is always watching over you bless you all :D:D

Upvote 0