• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Test Your Civics

Discussion in 'History & Genealogy' started by Historian, Sep 28, 2006.

1. YamiB

YamiB Regular Member

+26
    Pagan
    In Relationship

It is amazing how stupid highschool seniors can be in this country. In my 11th grade Lit class there were many people who had trouble telling apart Verbs, Nouns, and Adjectives.

Since we went to war twice against the man I think he has become an important figure in modern US history.

2. OhhJim

OhhJim Often wrong, but never in doubt

+269
    Non-Denom
    U.S. History, yes.
    Current Events, yes.
    U.S. Civics, not really.

It's a quibble, of course, but I suggest that a person could be an expert on American Civics and have no idea what Hussein's political party was. And it certainly isn't a basic question. It's like asking who held the homerun record before Babe Ruth, and claiming Americans know nothing about baseball, when nobody gets it right.

For the record, I got that question right. ;)

3. Zimfan

Zimfan Well-Known Member

+45
    Protestant
    Engaged
    US-Libertarian
    I got 100%, but then, it'd be incredibly sad if a political science major failed it.

4. Zimfan

Zimfan Well-Known Member

+45
    Protestant
    Engaged
    US-Libertarian
    A flat tax is applied equally, a progressive tax is applied more heavily to those with higher incomes(this is what we have in the U.S.). A Regressive tax would be applied more heavily to those with lower incomes. I'm not sure any country in the world has that kind. Certainly not the U.S., where someone with a low income like me(under $20,000 a year) pays an abusrdly low percentage of my income in taxes while my much better off Uncle pays something like 38% or so(or whatever that tax cut a few years back lowered it to for the highest income bracket). :wave:

Edit: I was mistaken on one point, while income tax in the U.S. is progressive, Social Security taxes are regressive.

5. Zimfan

Zimfan Well-Known Member

+45
    Protestant
    Engaged
    US-Libertarian
    To answer EmbracingHim's question, sin taxes perhaps? Taxes like those and sales taxes are often considered regressive.

6. OhhJim

OhhJim Often wrong, but never in doubt

+269
    Non-Denom
    Yes, so is the California State Disability tax, since it, like FICA, has an upper limit.

Lottery tickets are probably the most regressive "tax".

7. Selznak

Selznak No King But Jesus

+50
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    :clap: Ooooh yeah! 8/8

8. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Regular Member

+6
    Christian
    Private
    50%:doh: I expected better

9. Norseman

Norseman EAC Representative

+241
    Humanist
    Private
    US-Others
    The answer that they provide for the last question is wrong.
    http://www.warresisters.org/piechart.htm

We spend more on our military than the rest of the world combined, yet we have old people who have to choose between medication and food. That alone should let you know which answer is correct.

10. Zimfan

Zimfan Well-Known Member

+45
    Protestant
    Engaged
    US-Libertarian
    The Iraq war has certainly spiked Defense Department spending, but Social Security still trumps the military for federal spending. http://www.federalbudget.com/

11. Zimfan

Zimfan Well-Known Member

+45
    Protestant
    Engaged
    US-Libertarian
    Spent more on Social Security last year, as well.
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2007/

Warning, lots of rather dull charts to dig through to get the information.

Adding 80% of the payments towards the national debt to the total for military spending is absurd, especially under the reasoning that "most (if not all) of the national debt would have been eliminated." Congress has always shown a great ability to waste all of our money rather than pay down the debt.

I think the Iraq war has been a huge waste of money, and I think we could save a lot of money closing down many of the cold war era bases in Europe. Countries like Germany are certainly rich enough to defend themselves now, and not under the risk of invasion from Russia. But fudging numbers isn't the best way to make a point.

12. MercuryAndy

MercuryAndy Senior Veteran

+35
    Christian
    Single
    Germany has realy been rich enough to defend itself. Its more of a if we get destroyed we are launching our nukes from germany incase our ones in america get blown up.

13. Joykins

Joykins free Crazy Liz!

+1,092
    Methodist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I got 88% for mentally conflating welfare and social security--that'll lead me to read the answers.

14. Photios

Photios Veteran

+45
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Other than that I made the assumption that the military absorbed more of our money than social security, I got them all right.

15. Douger

Douger Veteran

+776
    Christian
    100%
    Fun test.

16. Nottingham40

Nottingham40 Member

+1
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    100% This was a Joke. But I do read 10 books a week, so whatta ya expect.