Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I get, that in those times, it wasn't disrespectful to call a woman, "woman." To call your MOM "woman", though, yes, to me, seems like something that would be out of line. But anyway, that wasn't even my point. What I was trying to get at is whether or not Mary is Jesus' mother, by using as an example, and not to harp on whether or not calling her "woman" was disrespectful.

The way I see it is this: if others called their mother, "woman", then it would be a strong case to show anyone that Jesus may have considered Mary His mother at the time, as well. Do you know what I mean? But if every person called their mother "mother", and to top, not one passage is found where someone is calling their mother "woman", I think it's pretty telling.

Not only that, but:

Luke 8:20-21:
20 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you.”

21 He replied, “My mother and brothers are those who hear God’s word and put it into practice.”
If Mary did not follow the Will of God, then regardless of whether or not she gave birth to Him, he would NOT have considered her a member of the family. What is of importance, was that they are all One, in Christ - and giving birth to Jesus garnered her no special benefits.

Okay, I thought you were simply claiming that Mary was not Jesus' mother. I see what you're saying now, and I agree. Jesus didn't view Mary as higher than everyone else because she gave birth to him. That level of reverence was only for God the Father.

However, I'm pretty sure Catholics do revere Mary as higher than everyone else though. I don't know why though, cause you're right, I believe Jesus said that about his mother and brothers to show that God's family is spiritual, not biological.

Upvote 0

CantThinkofaUserName

Apr 23, 2007
✟15,382.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yea', part of that "everyone else" includes God Himself. I hear Catholics praying to Mary ALL the time. I know their excuse (some of them, at least) is that they ask Mary to pray FOR them, but I specifically hear them (even my own mom) say things like, "Mother Mary, please allow this", or "please do this", or "please look out for my family", etc. Prayers are being directed to her, and I think that goes against what scripture teaches us.

Too much focus is put on her, when no focus (beyond acknowledging that she was a blessed woman) should be directed her way. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but God said that He was a "jealous" God - meaning you pray to Him ONLY. But people want to twist things to fit their idea of what is right, and when you call them out on it, they think you have a hidden agenda. 100% focus needs to be put on God. Period.

Upvote 0

Aeneas

Oct 22, 2011
✟1,382.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
100% focus needs to be put on God. Period.

Better get off the internet and apply as a postulant at a cloistered contemplative order, then. I recommend the Carthusians. They spend literally all day either in necessary work, prayer, and worship.

poster_large.jpg

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecem. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus, ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen.

03438_virgin_enthroned_cristina_munteanu_429x650.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aeneas

Oct 22, 2011
✟1,382.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes. Pray and worship and keep the focus on Mary.

That wasn't what I asked. Let's try again: do you think it is possible to not spend all your time in prayer and worship and still keep the focus on God?

Upvote 0

CantThinkofaUserName

Apr 23, 2007
✟15,382.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
How nice. Now let's answer my question: can you not spend all your time in prayer or worship and still keep your focus on God?

Read the thread. Start back from post #16. If you still don't get what I'm trying to say, ask me again and I'll explain it again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aeneas

Oct 22, 2011
✟1,382.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Read the thread. Start back from post #16. If you still don't get what I'm trying to say, ask me again and I'll explain it again.

So you realize your position is completely illogical, and instead of making it really obvious, you are going to refuse to answer my question.

Or you could simply be consistent with your expressed views and enter a monastery.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, not "yes." Your belief is that he is not 100% like us, so your answer should be, "no, not 100%. Just His flesh."
Do you agree we are Spirit and Flesh?
So was Christ. except His Spirit was of God the Son. So in a manner of speaking He was not exactly like us as we are not God. Outside of His "Spirit" being the Son of God we are the same.

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us"

There is no mention of any spirit or soul, so is one to conclude, using just that passage, that Jesus' body was absent of both?
No, for we are told Christ was the son of God. the essences of God the Son indwelt the body of Jesus.

Not mentioning that He doesn't have a human spirit is not a good enough reason to assume that He didn't.
You know, what would be reason enough to assume that Christ did not have a human spirit or soul?? The bible never tells us that he had one, and in place of a soul we are told that "the Word" of God indwelt that body. John 1:14

I think it's open for debate, and not as open-and-shut as you'd like to imply that it is.
It is only open for debate if one completely ignores what the bible has to say.

My worry is this: accepting messages from those who speak of the mind, or the ego, or of the flesh, rather than relaying True gospel revealed to them by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Are you projecting your fears about your own message on to me? If you really have this concern then simply back up you claims with scripture as I have, then all you would have to do next is find a biblical precedent to explain the contradictions between what you have referenced and what i have already posted from the bible.

"Nope?" Who is EQUAL to God besides the Holy Spirit? So it's the Father, the Word, the Holy Spirit, and some other spirit? If you say "nope", then you add one more to the Trinity. Who is this fourth spirit you speak of?
Non-sequetor. I never implied a fourth personage of God.
You ask Is He referring to the holy Spirit? My response was nope, meaning He was not referring to the holy Spirit. There still is one incarnation of God your "question" did not identify.

I don't agree. For the reasons mentioned, I don't believe it's as simple as that.
You do not "believe it is as simple" as what? reading the bible and taking it for it's word? That there is some how a hidden meaning that only you have found 2000 years after the fact? Please reread paragraph 5.

You're bringing semantics into this when it's clear that we not only both obviously meant just flesh, but we're having a debate about it whether or not He has a human spirit, as well.
Just clarifying you position, as it seems to shift to fit your current argument. So what say you? Was Jesus Christ the Son of God as He Claimed?

I meant the Word, not the Holy Spirit. My mistake. So now, tell me:

If the Word dwells within me, then I would also "know" the Father. If It's become a "part" of me, the same way my soul is, and I can't separate myself from it, does that make me God? It's not the indwelling of God that makes someone God, and it's not being sinless that makes you God.
You mis quote the bible in an attempt to rewrite what was written to fit your doctrine, and now you are back peddling. Have you no shame for you sin? Do you know what the unforgivable sin is? Blaspheme of the holy Spirit. Do you know who wrote or inspired the scriptures? The holy Spirit. Do you know what Blaspheme means? To speak Ill or fraudulently against God (in this case the Holy Spirit. What is changing the words of the Holy Spirit to suit your own agenda if not a form of Blaspheme? This may not be the "big sin" but know the road to the "Big Sin" is paved in this type of work.

The fact of the matter is your rework still does not fit any known (to me) translation of the bible and you in an effort to save face have still reworked scripture to your own ends.

I'm not arguing with what the bible writes, but rather with YOUR interpretation of what the bible writes. Let that be clear.
Then please take Mt 4 line by line and address the discrepancies in your theology, against "YOUR interpretation of what the bible writes."

Dude, read! Please. I never, not once, said that God tempted anyone. I never even implied it. Not only that, but I actually AGREE that He doesn't tempt anyone. Where are you getting that I said that He tested anyone?
What I am saying is that is the purpose of that verse was not intended to be used in the way you chose to use it. Post number 3, 4th paragraph from the bottom, gives the full explanation.

What you fail to realize over and over again is that there are TWO parts to that verse. Two. ONE implying that He does NOT tempt by evil (which we both agree with), and the OTHER (that you continue to overlook) implying that He cannot be TEMPTED by evil. Two different words are used and you say they BOTH mean the same thing?
Again no. As I pointed out in Post 3 James is not referring to Jesus and his situation in Mt 4. He is speaking directly to those who believe that GOD IS TEMPTING THEM. What you fail you understand that these two principles can not be separated. That is why it was all included with in the confines of ONE Verse. to separate them and make an new doctrine around it is not the proper exegesis of scripture.

From blueletterbible:

Tempt:
1) to test, try, prove, tempt, assay, put to the proof or test
a) (Piel)
1) to test, try
2) to attempt, assay, try
3) to test, try, prove, tempt
Tempted:
1) to make a trial of, to attempt
a) taught by trial, experienced
2) to test, to make trial of one, put him to proof
a) his mind, sentiments, temper
b) in particular, to attempt to induce one to commit some (esp. carnal) crime
c) tempted to sin
Simply put: God does not "test" and cannot be "induced into committing sin."

To INDUCE ("succeed in persuading or influencing") One to commit sin is not the same as TESTING someone (which, again, God does NOT do).

It's this part of the verse that I would like to direct your attention to: "For God cannot be tempted by evil,", not the second part of the SAME verse: "Nor does He tempt anyone."
^_^
Nice try, but even you, in this paragraph acknowledged that this is one concept and not two. therefore it speaks to confines of James topic of conversation in chapter 1:13. Not the temptation of the Son of God in Mt 4.:p
try again or except the truth.
Okay, so God cannot be tempted, and thus the devil "attacks the human side of Christ." You implied (I've quoted it in order below) that GOD was being tempted.

• You: "Or Satan was allowed to approach Him with an opportunity to sin."
  • Me: "If Jesus is God, how then is there an "opportunity" for Him to sin? God cannot sin. What part of Jesus was susceptible to sinning?"
  • You: Take your argument up with Matthew because in chapter 4 he records
...He records that Christ the Son of God or God was indeed being tempted.. That means when you take 1/2 of one verse and ignore it's context to apply it to a precept that the verse never was intended to be used in.. Especially when there is an entire chapter of the bible to contradict your 1/2 verse findings, and your personal theology is Completely WRONG. So reset and try again.

What is your point? Yes, --I-- know how easy it is for someone to slip pass me at a crowded event, and --I-- know that they can get way away without me ever realizing who they were, but how can you apply that same logic to an all-knowing God?
If this woman thought out how to take from Christ she also knew how to leave. The fact of the matter and the reason she surrendered herself was that she was CAUGHT IN THE ACT. What other action was recorded that suggested that anyone knew of what she did? (Who's been eating cookies?) She was caught with her hand in the cookie jar! and Christ rebuked her act but commended her faith.

You don't LOOK at someone and ask "WHO", man, c'mon! If you're going to make sense of this, you need to do a better job. I am open, trust me.
:) You may not, but apparently Christ did. He is in the role of authority. Those in authority did not accuse anyone of anything without 2 wittinesses. So by rabbinical law He was bound to ask Who.. So that it could be established, and He had legitimate recourse if she did not confess.

If Christ asked her that question, why would ALL of His disciples "deny" it? It's more logical to conclude that Jesus caught THEIR gaze and thus why they said what they said.
Not familiar with Jewish tradition? When reading the words and actions of Christ one must put them in the context of a OT Rabbi and not someone wandering a modern ball game.

1.) Jesus wasn't trying to be cute. You say things like that to children, not adults.
lol^_^ Have you even read what the bible says about how he viewed us???^_^ This falls DIRECTLY in Line with His thoughts on us!!!

2.) Really? That's what you're going to compare "the crowds almost crushed him" to? A one-on-one encounter at the good ol' cookie jar?
When speaking to someone with "limited" understandings it is often times best to speak to them in a way they can easily identify with. Perhaps that is why Jesus often times used parables to explain complex principles.

The same question can apply to you, as well.
:)Everyday, Every post, Every line, Every word..

I see you forgot to answer one:
I see you left out quite a bit of content, any particular reason?

Upvote 0

CantThinkofaUserName

Apr 23, 2007
✟15,382.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Me: Focus (thinking, praying, worshiping, not spare TIME) should only be directed towards God ONLY, not Mary, which the Catholics seem to do.

You: Well, you're spending time on the internet, so then you're not "focusing" on God.

Me: That's not what I meant.

You: You're being illogical

Me:: Read the thread

You: Go to a monetary

Me; Hitting head on keyboard.

Get it? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CantThinkofaUserName

Apr 23, 2007
✟15,382.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Nice edit, but here is your post:

No, you appear to be saying it is ok for you to be doing an activity that isn't outwardly directed towards God, but not Catholics. So while you can talk about theology on an internet forum and keep "all your focus" on God, they can't pray to Mary and do the same.

Double standard much?

Praying TO Mary is not okay. That is what I say the bible condemns, and that, apparently, is what you say is okay to do. So be it.

And that above quote wasn't for you, but rather Drich.

Upvote 0

Aeneas

Oct 22, 2011
✟1,382.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Nice edit, but here is your post:

Ok, fine.

Praying TO Mary is not okay.

Sorry, I don't believe you. ;)

That is what I say the bible condemns, and that, apparently, is what you say is okay to do. So be it.

Duh, because you aren't exactly in a position of authority over me.

And that above quote wasn't for you, but rather Drich.

Ok.

Great Supplicatory Canon to Virgin Mary (1/5) - YouTube

Most Holy Theotokos, save us! :prayer:

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I wonder if it truly is a paradox, or if the answer is something we choose not to accept.

As for Mary being the, "Mother of God?" Virgin Mary was blessed enough to give birth to Jesus, yes, and even carried Him in her womb for 9 months, so she was a "mother" in that sense, but God the Spirit does not have a mother. God is Three, yet One. Not Four, yet One.

You are correct that Mary is not divine. The title "Mother of God" or Theotokos (which means "God-bearer") is not used to attribute divinity to the Blessed Virgin, but to assert the Divinity of her Son and the true unity of Christ's Person as being true God and true man. She wasn't just a host, she is Christ's actual and real mother. If you took a blood sample from Jesus and did a DNA test it would match Mary.

The original Hail Mary, which is literally taken verbatim from the words of Scripture says:

"Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus."

Jesus is the true Child of Mary, the fruit of her womb.

(The petition of the Hail Mary, "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen" was added at a later date.)

We are not saying that God is originate in Mary, but that the true God was in her womb for nine months and that the Child she gave birth to is real and true God. That Christ is truly God.

As for the human. Even Jesus, on the cross, said to her, “Woman,[a] here is your son,” 27 and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.”

Would you ever call your mother, "woman?" Even those who lack the honor today, that people back in such times had for their parents, would not address their mother in such a way. And I'm to believe that Jesus would?

It wasn't a disrespectful term. The fact of the matter is that Jesus cared enough for His mother that He entrusted her care to one of His disciples to make sure that she would be taken care of. At the wedding in Cana even though He told her that it was not yet His time He still listened to His mother.

The Lord didn't disrespect His own mother, she was His true and actual mother. He was her flesh and blood.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

CantThinkofaUserName

Apr 23, 2007
✟15,382.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
ViaCrucis, the crux of the matter is not disrespect towards woman, but rather if Jesus did actually consider Mary His mother, that only then would I, personally, think it would seem disrespectful. But I don't believe He did consider her His mother, and thus why He called her, "woman." That's my point.

But I admit that I don't know much about "those times", so I ask you to do this for me: provide one single passage where a child (any child) called his mother, "woman." Just one. If you do that, you will have a convert. Not in the sense that I will pray to Mary, but I will from here on in consider that Jesus, while walking earth, in flesh, considered Mary His mother. Surely if it was a typical thing to do, or if all adults or children spoke to their parents in such ways, it shouldn't be too hard to find one passage.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I ask you to do this for me: provide one single passage where a child (any child) called his mother, "woman." Just one. If you do that, you will have a convert.

You should be more carful about what you promise:
gynē

Pronunciation

gü-nā' (Key)

Part of Speech

feminine noun

Root Word (Etymology)

TDNT Reference

Vines

Outline of Biblical Usage
1) a woman of any age, whether a virgin, mother, or married, or a widow
2) a wife
a) of a betrothed woman

The word here is the same for woman or mother, it just depends on how it is used.

The Term "Mother" or "mētēr" is a privately use term of endearment and would not normally be shared or declared in mixed company. (Kinda like mommy) so this more generic term which can mean mother or "Woman" is used in mixed company.

So, how's bout it? What is a good day to get dunked for you?

Upvote 0