Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The defense attorney will certainly examine potential family influences...
And in the end... his guilt or innocence will be all on him. David Berkowitz thinking God was speaking through his dog does not detract from his crimes, nor lesson the punishment. What it does is allow us to understand why. And sometimes, well... well, every time we have a mass shooting, I want to know why. I can't stand when those cowards take life and then kill themselves. It isn't fair.

Peace.
Ken

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He sounds nice. Have to wonder what dad thought of all this.

Well, he's 18 and still living at home. I gotta imagine his folks had been trying to figure out a way to kick him out so they could turn his bedroom in a tv den / scrapbooking room / swinger lounge. I wonder if they took The Two Bobs' approach and ratted him out themselves.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
There is no federal law that limits the number of firearms a person may own, perhaps some individual States do. Personally speaking, I don't care if they own a thousand guns as long as they can store them safely, are otherwise a law abiding citizen.

However, you cannot threaten other people who are not threatening to harm, or, kill you. I don't know if this case warranted an arrest and charges. I would lean more toward removal of the firearms for 180 day's, then convincing a judge to have them returned.

IMHO
I know, I know, the 2nd Amendment an all that. But that concentration of weaponry represents a public danger even if the kid himself is benign. How were those guns stored? How easy would it be for them to be stolen by others not so benign? What if the house caught on fire? 10,000 rounds of ammunition in a cardboard box under the stairs would pose a serious risk to unaware first responders. Apparently our right to keep and bear arms cannot even be infringed by a sense of responsibility.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Emperors and kings of this world did not get into or secure positions of power by being nice and doing good.
This little punk isn’t even playing the same sport let alone in the same league as them. He’s a basement dwelling untried loser whose only brush with a life or death situation is driving in heavy traffic.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know, I know, the 2nd Amendment an all that. But that concentration of weaponry represents a public danger even if the kid himself is benign. How were those guns stored? How easy would it be for them to be stolen by others not so benign? What if the house caught on fire? 10,000 rounds of ammunition in a cardboard box under the stairs would pose a serious risk to unaware first responders. Apparently our right to keep and bear arms cannot even be infringed by a sense of responsibility.

Ammo that catches on fire in a cardboard box doesn't just explode like in the movies. The rounds simply "pop" one at a time, like popcorn, making about the same sound. The bullets don't even get propelled as if they were in a gun.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Given the size of the arsenal, he doubtless started buying it before he turned 18.

It's possible that he inherited firearms from a relative.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Ammo that catches on fire in a cardboard box doesn't just explode like in the movies. The rounds simply "pop" one at a time, like popcorn, making about the same sound. The bullets don't even get propelled as if they were in a gun.
Yes, I know. Nobody is going to "get shot" and there will be no massive explosion. The greatest danger is from casing fragments and possibly a locus of greater fire intensity changing the course of the fire. But the presence of ammunition popping off raises the possibility of loaded guns on the premises, which do present a serious danger and will require different firefight approach.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I know. Nobody is going to "get shot" and there will be no massive explosion. The greatest danger is from casing fragments and possibly a locus of greater fire intensity changing the course of the fire. But the presence of ammunition popping off raises the possibility of loaded guns on the premises, which do present a serious danger and will require different firefight approach.

The presence of ammunition popping off doesn't raise that possibility. It might make someone believe it does, but ammunition in one place doesn't equate to a loaded gun in another.
Besides, there are plenty of other things in a home that can burn or explode: gas cans, cleaning products, natural gas lines, fireworks, etc. Guns and ammunition are just one item in homes that may or may not be an issue in a fire. However, most home don't catch on fire, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue concerning what a person should be able to own.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The presence of ammunition popping off doesn't raise that possibility. It might make someone believe it does, but ammunition in one place doesn't equate to a loaded gun in another.
Besides, there are plenty of other things in a home that can burn or explode: gas cans, cleaning products, natural gas lines, fireworks, etc. Guns and ammunition are just one item in homes that may or may not be an issue in a fire. However, most home don't catch on fire, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue concerning what a person should be able to own.
Sure, and we wouldn't want anybody's right to keep and bear arms to be infringed.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Then we're in agreement.
From a strictly practical standpoint I think you're making a mistake. I'm a gun owner myself and wouldn't want them confiscated, but giving this kid back his arsenal no questions asked and a pat on the back is going to get up peoples' noses. He's a weirdo and no mistake, and if there is some difficulty down the line--from him, or somebody he gives them to or from a gang that steals them--it's going to raise a stink.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
From a strictly practical standpoint I think you're making a mistake. I'm a gun owner myself and wouldn't want them confiscated, but giving this kid back his arsenal no questions asked and a pat on the back is going to get up peoples' noses. He's a weirdo and no mistake, and if there is some difficulty down the line--from him, or somebody he gives them to or from a gang that steals them--it's going to raise a stink.

That doesn't make it right to take what belongs to him just because of what others may think. There's a good reason for legal due process. If he didn't break any law, then why else (other than fear of public opinion) should his property be taken from him?

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't make it right to take what belongs to him just because of what others may think. There's a good reason for legal due process. If he didn't break any law, then why else (other than fear of public opinion) should his property be taken from him?
Public opinion is important in framing future laws. I'm not saying you're wrong, but there are people who think that allowing a weird 18-year old kid amass an arsenal like that is questionable, even in terms of the 2nd Amendment. In the end, standing pat on "shall not be infringed" is a losing battle.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But the presence of ammunition popping off raises the possibility of loaded guns on the premises, which do present a serious danger and will require different firefight approach.
I knew a person whose house was allowed to burn to the foundation when their ammo store started cooking off. I’m going to guess when no lives are in jeopardy backing off and letting the situation resolve itself is a standard procedure.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Who said that?

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Public opinion is important in framing future laws. I'm not saying you're wrong, but there are people who think that allowing a weird 18-year old kid amass an arsenal like that is questionable, even in terms of the 2nd Amendment. In the end, standing pat on "shall not be infringed" is a losing battle.

What's weird?

Upvote 0