Teen Nudist Camp Cannot Be Held W/O Parents

Sheena_Va

May 22, 2004
Virginia
✟7,895.00
Faith
Christian
Kudos to a Richmond judge for standing up for our children!

A federal judge in Richmond ruled Thursday that a Virginia nudist colony cannot hold its annual summer camp for teenagers in defiance of a new state law that requires parents or guardians to be present.
Robert Roche, the owner of White Tail Park near Ivor in Southampton County, and the Virginia chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union sought a preliminary injunction against the law.

They hoped the judge would allow juveniles to attend the summer camp later this month without parental supervision.

But U.S. District Judge Richard Williams denied the motion, saying the presence of parents or guardians at the summer camp would not interfere with the children's ability to enjoy themselves.

A trial date is pending for the lawsuit filed in federal court last month by the ACLU. The suit challenges the constitutionality of the law, which would deny a state license to a hotel, summer camp or campground that conducts nudist camps for juveniles

http://www.wvbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=2044803
http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?s= 2044803

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I honestly think it is rediculous to require that a parent supervise the child during the camp. Now don't get me wrong, I strongly believe that some sort of adult supervision is required but is it really necessary for every single kid to have their parent there with them???

Upvote 0

Sheena_Va

May 22, 2004
Virginia
✟7,895.00
Faith
Christian
Holly3278 said:
I honestly think it is rediculous to require that a parent supervise the child during the camp. Now don't get me wrong, I strongly believe that some sort of adult supervision is required but is it really necessary for every single kid to have their parent there with them???
Well honestly, many, many, years ago ;), when I was a teenager, I would often attend camps. Most of those were even Christian camps. I can't tell you how many times my friends would sneak off to be with the boys.
Now, that was Christian camp...with plenty of supervision...and we had our clothes on all day. Had our parents been with us, I don't think we wouldve attempted the things we did.
Imagine being a teenager, with all those hormones pumping, being around nude bodies all day. Just doesnt seem worth the risk to me, on that level alone.
Then of course you add in the sexual predator equation and that puts an entirely different spin on things. They say that everyone is carefully screened before admittance, but how many people in authoritive roles have we been hearing of lately, that I'm sure were 'screened', and yet they have still taken advantage of our youth?
The judicial system could've ruled that the teens not be allowed to attend the camp at all, but compromised with the parental guidance rule. I would think that the colony would welcome the idea, considering if anything did happen, either between the children, or with an adult, the colony itself, would not be liable as the parents should be supervising their children.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ignore the nudist part, why would you allow them to be without adult supervision for extended periods of time to begin with. Even without all the sexual things that could happen, teenagers do a lot stupid things that could seriously get themselves hurt/killed if there isn't at least a small portion of adults there watch over them.

Upvote 0