Tech Exec Fired for Assigned by God Pronoun.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,543.00
Faith
Pentecostal
A tech executive was fired because of his choice of self identification pronouns. His company decided that everyone had to choose their preferred pronouns and he did not want to do that. His religious beli fs were there are only two genders. And he felt if he was to accept the pronoun labels he was acquiescing to the gender ideology that there are many genders. So he refused to do it until he felt the heat and knew he had to do it or else. So he chose the "assigned by God" label.

He had two employees complain about it and he was fired. He is now suing the company for firing him claiming they violated his civil rights of religious liberty and being discriminated against.

The is just more evidence the totalitarianism of the LGBT movement. Our way or the highway. No tolerance, you must comply or be punished for it.

What should have happened is the company should have accepted the rights of all. The rights of those who wish to use their preferred pronouns and the rights of those who don't. If you are going to ask that people use their preferred pronouns in their stuff then you really need to respect the rights of those who don't wish to do so. As an individual you are not being exclusive if you don't want to choose pronouns for your self.

Secondly, since people are free to choose their pronouns then you also have to be free to choose your pronouns. Whatever it is you want. That's how it works. Since things like Zie and Zir or Mix or Dey or whatever are acceptable as made up things so is Assigned By God. I think maybe he would have been better off just using ABG.

But firing someone for making up a pronoun that has a religious connotation? Inexcusable.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
"faith-based preferred pronouns"

LOL

Like, the dude literally just had to put "He/Him." I mean aren't those his preferred pronouns?

I work for a company that asked me what my pronouns were. I haven't filled anything out because I don't care, but I'm not going to actively try and troll people about it, lol. I guess we'll see if there's any "heat" coming my way. Going on about 2 years now since it became a thing.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All he had to say was he was keeping the ones he is used to, and that is that. He has chosen his pronouns. It doesn't matter if he believes there are two or thirty-two.

Now if the company was enforcing everyone to use those pronouns, and he didn't want to use the ones outside the two, he might have more of a case. By refusing from the start I think he shot himself in the proverbial foot.

Honestly, I don't care what pronouns other people use. But they need to let me know what they want me to use, otherwise, I will make my best judgment.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

LOL

Like, the dude literally just had to put "He/Him." I mean aren't those his preferred pronouns?

I work for a company that asked me what my pronouns were. I haven't filled anything out because I don't care, but I'm not going to actively try and troll people about it, lol. I guess we'll see if there's any "heat" coming my wa
It certainly is always easiest to simply go along to get along and not rock the boat. Just as using cliches is easier than putting one's own thoughts into more original words.

Why would he refer to himself in the third person? Wouldn't any reasonable person consider I/Me to be their preferred pronoun? I haven't even heard a person that identifies as non-binary refer to themself as We, even though they insist upon others referring to them as they /them when referring to they/them in conversation with other people. Nor have I heard the demand that when in direct conversation one must use the pronoun You All instead of You. I don't know why this is as it seems they ought to be doing both of those things in order to be consistent.

I wonder just exactly how does the company explains firing assigned by God for complying with the company's demand that assigned by God choose a preferred pronoun. Maybe they specified it was the company's preferred pronoun that must be chosen. Perhaps they wanted to assign the pronouns? Preferred pronouns are completely subjective. On what basis is it considered a firing offense for any person that is required to choose a preferred pronoun to meet the requirement by choosing a preferred pronoun that person subjectively arrived at? How does strict compliance with a demand by management constitute a firing offense?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Why would he refer to himself in the third person? Wouldn't any reasonable person consider I/Me to be their preferred pronoun?
"Preferred pronouns" are what you want other people to call you, not what you want to call yourself.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Considering he was being a jerk about the company policy, I don't blame the company for firing him for being a jerk.
Who is or is not a jerk is a very subjective opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Preferred pronouns" are what you want other people to call you, not what you want to call yourself.
Why should they be called preferred pronouns if they apply to others rather than to oneself? Shouldn't they be called a requested pronoun? I prefer to call myself me or I those are my preferred pronouns. I request others to call me he or him when speaking of me to others and that others call me you when speaking to me personally. The term "preferred" doesn't seem apt when one is requesting others to do something for one. .

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Why should they be called preferred pronouns if they apply to others rather than to oneself? Shouldn't they be called a requested pronoun? I prefer to call myself me or I those are my preferred pronouns. I request others to call me he or him when speaking of me to others and that others call me you when speaking to me personally. The term "preferred" doesn't seem apt when one is requesting others to do something for one. .
And yet this is the meaning of it. I'm sorry if that offends you.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And yet this is the meaning of it. I'm sorry if that offends you.
Offends me? Where did you get that idea from? The fact people will be inconsistent and irrational in the way they define terms is just part of human nature, not something to get offended by.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It certainly is always easiest to simply go along to get along and not rock the boat. Just as using cliches is easier than putting one's own thoughts into more original words.

Why would he refer to himself in the third person? Wouldn't any reasonable person consider I/Me to be their preferred pronoun? I haven't even heard a person that identifies as non-binary refer to themself as We, even though they insist upon others referring to them as they /them when referring to they/them in conversation with other people. Nor have I heard the demand that when in direct conversation one must use the pronoun You All instead of You. I don't know why this is as it seems they ought to be doing both of those things in order to be consistent.

Someone pointed out above that you seem to not understand this issue very well if you don't know that preferred pronouns are those you wish others to use when addressing you, not what you want to call yourself.

I wonder just exactly how does the company explains firing assigned by God for complying with the company's demand that assigned by God choose a preferred pronoun. Maybe they specified it was the company's preferred pronoun that must be chosen. Perhaps they wanted to assign the pronouns? Preferred pronouns are completely subjective. On what basis is it considered a firing offense for any person that is required to choose a preferred pronoun to meet the requirement by choosing a preferred pronoun that person subjectively arrived at? How does strict compliance with a demand by management constitute a firing offense?

U.S. is at will employment. A company can fire you for any reason they want unless it's explicitly against the law concerning protected classes, of which religion is one, so maybe he'll win his case and get his job back or get a big payday. Either way, it says a lot about who that guy is and the publicity may limit his future employment opportunities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
U.S. is at will employment. A company can fire you for any reason they want unless it's explicitly against the law concerning protected classes, of which religion is one, so maybe he'll win his case and get his job back or get a big payday. Either way, it says a lot about who that guy is and the publicity may limit his future employment opportunities.
Well, it varies by state with some having more protections than others.

A lot of the time in business, you don't see the people you need to correspond with. Some names are commonly masculine or feminine but others are less familiar to most or gender-neutral (Pat, Chris, Whitney) so it might help knowing how they preferred to be addressed.

Sounds as though Scharf was being a jerk at work. Maybe it was for this or maybe it was an accumulation of insubordinate actions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Since pronouns are made up I think it is well his rights to use "God" for his. Whether it is a form of protest or trolling the company has no right to determine what pronouns are acceptable or no. At least not when we have grammatical disasters like they/them in reference to a singular individual or Zer which isn't even a proper universally accepted English word.

The company should have just not get involved in such frivolous endeavor to start with. Just say address your colleague respectfully. They know for well that doing this pronoun exercise will have political connotation, yet chose to step on it. I can't imagine being management and instead of trying to maximize productivity for the company choose to virtue signal. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

For those who are adamant that your pronouns matter, better not visit any nations outside the progressive western world. If you're caught putting up a hissy fit in a Malaysian hotel for incorrect pronouns usage, you better be ready to get comfortable in our 4x4 rooms. Our boys in blue don't like putting up with nonsense especially foreigner's. Our country welcomes all who are respectful to our social norms. We turn sour fast when you act entitled.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,543.00
Faith
Pentecostal

LOL

I work for a company that asked me what my pronouns were. I haven't filled anything out because I don't care, but I'm not going to actively try and troll people about it, lol. I guess we'll see if there's any "heat" coming my way. Going on about 2 years now since it became a thing.

I understand that you and others wouldn't consider this, but by agreeing to the pronoun issue and using chosen pronouns you are entering the LGBTQ world and agreeing with the entire issue that there are more genders and gender identifiers. You are legitimizing the issue. Like calling yourself cisgendered. It's words made up by a specific community to validate their many genders idiology.

If you completely disagree with it and believe there are only two genders by participating you are compromising your beliefs. And in this case your religious ones. This is the insidious part of this ideology. Just agree and everything will be fine. Just compromise a little. Com'on just give in, do it for the children. It won't hurt you any. Yeah I know the LGBTQ mad it up, but it's okay. If you bend just a little we won't ask for anything more.

While we know that's a plain lie. They always ask for more and never stop. Inch by inch mile by mile.

I don't expect you and others to agree with me. But the plain of it is, stating your pronouns because they have asked you to is absolutely compromising to the ideology that there are more than two genders.

Upvote 0