Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
But. You. Get. HEAVEN for all ETERNITY.
Your “mansion” might be on a hill?

Not sure what your comment about a mansion on a hill is in reference to. But yes, rewards in heaven have to do with being faithful when a Christian can't see the other side very clearly. That's why it's a matter of trust between the person and God.. because heaven isn't fully revealed yet so we live by faith and not by sight.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Your height isn't relevant to anything discussed do far. The question is whether I am being truthful to how I personally see things and I think I am. And I am saying you would rather prove me wrong than tell the truth. Am I wrong about that? Where is my faulty logic in this?
The specifics of Krauss' theory aren't relevant either. You don't need to understand anything more than the fact that it ain't "nothing" the way you theists use it to understand that you're wrong. We could talk about whether his theory is plausible or not, but that doesn't interest me. We established that he's talking about "something" not "nothing". That's sufficient.
I also posted a video of Dawkins saying "Its literally nothing" in the same video that refers to Krauss which is the same video you quoted me from. So if Dawkins thinks nothing is not nothing, then he sure is not explaining himself well because one of these videos is where I got the idea Dawkins thinks the universe came from nothing. But if Dawkins is just using the term nothing to mean something mysterious, then he should just say something mysterious caused the origin of the universe and not use the term nothing at all.
To be clear, you posted a heavily edited video. Not just that, it was edited to tease Dawkins about calling "something" "nothing" by a theist. Now I don't care if people tease Dawkins, I bet he doesn't either. But you can't seriously think that video is an accurate representation of how he presents his case. Surely, you don't take that video as a serious source of information...
See above. Also, my being generous with you now saying maybe nothing doesn't mean nothing seems to be lost on you. I could very well put my good will towards poorly worded claims aside and just say how utterly ridiculous and contradictory Dawkins has been regarding this, but instead I'm actually trying to understand the position better.
See above.
I would not say it is never from an atheists PoV. For example, if the atheist knows his explanation is reasonable, but they don't actually believe it, then they can lie without thinking they will get caught.
Even if my explanation sounds reasonable, I may not remember it accurately the next time I might need to give it, damaging my credibility. I may have already said something in the past contrary to it that I've forgotten. I may find a reason in the future to confess I lied and then lose credibility. Still, lots of reasons.
What I mean when I say "no reason" I am talking about this morally speaking, not pragmatically speaking. Yes, there are reasons not to lie, but there are reasons you should lie as well. So the point I am trying to make is that morally, an atheist doesn't have reasons not to lie out of self-interest if they think the won't get caught for lying.
Wait, wait, wait... When you say "no reason" you don't actually mean there are "no reasons", you actually meant "some reason"... You gotta be kidding me. You just torpedoed your whole position in this conversation, you get that right?

So lemme ask you this. Are there morally good reasons for Christians to lie? You make sure to say that it's "lying for self interest" that is bad. Are all lies bad, or is it possible to lie for good reasons?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
But. You. Get. HEAVEN for all ETERNITY.
Your “mansion” might be on a hill?
There's an old joke where three men die and go to Heaven. St. Peter stops them at the gate and asks the first man, "How many times did you cheat on your wife?" When the man responds sheepishly, "Four times..." St. Peter gives him a Mo-Ped and tells him, "You still get in, but this is your transportation for all of eternity". So the man putters off and the second man steps up.

"I only cheated on my wife one time" he tells St. Peter. So St. Peter gives him a brand new, but not flashy at all, Toyota Corolla. He gets in his car and drives off as the third man steps up.

"I have never, in any way, cheated on my wife. Not one stray glance!" St. Peter tells him, "That is commendable! For your commitment we are giving you a brand new Porsche 911!"

A few months later the man on the Mo-Ped pulls up next to the man in the Porsche. The man in the Porsche was looking very sad, so the guy on the Mo-Ped asked, "What's with you, buddy? You got a brand new sports car. I'm stuck on this pathetic scooter!" The man in the Porsche informs him, "I just saw my wife go by on a skateboard".

• Haha
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The specifics of Krauss' theory aren't relevant either.

Hold the phone! Wait, why not?

You don't need to understand anything more than the fact that it ain't "nothing" the way you theists use it to understand that you're wrong. We could talk about whether his theory is plausible or not, but that doesn't interest me. We established that he's talking about "something" not "nothing". That's sufficient.

It's not "nothing" in the sense that it is "literally nothing". Yes, of course, why would I have a problem with that?

To be clear, you posted a heavily edited video. Not just that, it was edited to tease Dawkins about calling "something" "nothing" by a theist. Now I don't care if people tease Dawkins, I bet he doesn't either. But you can't seriously think that video is an accurate representation of how he presents his case. Surely, you don't take that video as a serious source of information...

Would you like me to find a less edited version so we can compare and contrast?

Even if my explanation sounds reasonable, I may not remember it accurately the next time I might need to give it, damaging my credibility. I may have already said something in the past contrary to it that I've forgotten. I may find a reason in the future to confess I lied and then lose credibility. Still, lots of reasons.

There are still lots of reasons you should lie in certain situations if the circumstances call for it.

Wait, wait, wait... When you say "no reason" you don't actually mean there are "no reasons", you actually meant "some reason"... You gotta be kidding me. You just torpedoed your whole position in this conversation, you get that right?

The "no reason not to lie" was given the qualifier "out of self-interest". And As I said earlier, we are talking about moral reasons not to lie and not pragmatic reasons not to lie.

So lemme ask you this. Are there morally good reasons for Christians to lie? You make sure to say that it's "lying for self interest" that is bad. Are all lies bad, or is it possible to lie for good reasons?

IDK if there ever has been or will be a good moral reasons for lying. As far as I can see, lying breaks one of the ten commandments.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Not sure what your comment about a mansion on a hill is in reference to.
A contender for the faith will have a nice location.
Whiners who debate with a chip on their shoulders get hilly terrain.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A contender for the faith will have a nice location.
Whiners who debate with a chip on their shoulders get hilly terrain.

Is a mansion on a hill a nice location? Actually, I don't think this is important. NVM.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Hold the phone! Wait, why not?
We established that they're talking about "something" which is not "nothing". We established the mutually exclusive bit, anything else is another topic. Perhaps related, but not relevant.
It's not "nothing" in the sense that it is "literally nothing". Yes, of course, why would I have a problem with that?
So now when you said "nothing" you didn't mean actual nothing either?
Would you like me to find a less edited version so we can compare and contrast?
What for? He already said it's "something" so it isn't actual "nothing". If you didn't mean "nothing" when you said "nothing" then there's no problem. So we agree that atheists and theists believe that there was something behind the origin of the universe. Let's refresh our memory of the initial claim, it's been a while:
It's just that atheists believe the miracle of the entire universe coming from nothing.
If you never meant an actual nothing, then you haven't offered any actual distinction between theists and atheists. We all believe it came from something.
There are still lots of reasons you should lie in certain situations if the circumstances call for it.
As a moral subjectivist, the word "should" is essentially nonsense to me. I mean, I use it colloquially out of habit sometimes. But you can't use it in an argument against me. That's your problem with subjective morality, right, there is no "should"?
And As I said earlier, we are talking about moral reasons not to lie and not pragmatic reasons not to lie.
No, first you said "no reason" later you added that you didn't really mean "no reason". That's the point. Dawkins and Krauss may say "literal nothing" but they'll explain what they mean by nothing (if you care to listen) and it's something. Even in your heavily edited video Dawkins already started doing that.

You've spent more time and energy arguing with me about why I won't bother getting the information for you than it would take to find it yourself, so don't pretend like you're actually interested in Krauss' theory.
IDK if there ever has been or will be a good moral reasons for lying. As far as I can see, lying breaks one of the ten commandments.
During WWII some folks hid Jews in their attics and lied to the Nazis when they came knocking. When the Nazis asked, "Are you hiding Jews in your house?" should they have replied "Yes"? Saying "No" would protect innocent people from evil people, but it would be a lie. I know it's extreme, and I know it's cliched, but it's the fastest route to the point.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We established that they're talking about "something" which is not "nothing". We established the mutually exclusive bit, anything else is another topic. Perhaps related, but not relevant.

I disagree. I think it is relevant. We are dealing with claims here. I am asking for evidence for the claim and you refuse to provide any.

So now when you said "nothing" you didn't mean actual nothing either?

Not sure what you are talking about.

What for? He already said it's "something" so it isn't actual "nothing". If you didn't mean "nothing" when you said "nothing" then there's no problem. So we agree that atheists and theists believe that there was something behind the origin of the universe. Let's refresh our memory of the initial claim, it's been a while:

Then I defer to my previous point that you shouldn't be calling something nothing.

If you never meant an actual nothing, then you haven't offered any actual distinction between theists and atheists. We all believe it came from something.

I got the idea from J. Warner Wallace, who said that he himself used to believe the universe came from nothing before becoming a Christian. I'd love for you to take this up with him sometime and me be able to see the results of that.

As a moral subjectivist, the word "should" is essentially nonsense to me. I mean, I use it colloquially out of habit sometimes. But you can't use it in an argument against me. That's your problem with subjective morality, right, there is no "should"?

Fine, take out "you should" and replace it with "to" and add at the end of the sentence "out of self-interest". Could you answer that question?

No, first you said "no reason" later you added that you didn't really mean "no reason". That's the point. Dawkins and Krauss may say "literal nothing" but they'll explain what they mean by nothing (if you care to listen) and it's something. Even in your heavily edited video Dawkins already started doing that.

I think we are talking past each other here. My original statement had the the qualifier of "self-interest". You dropped that part and said I was just saying "no reason" without the qualifier of "self-interest".

You've spent more time and energy arguing with me about why I won't bother getting the information for you than it would take to find it yourself, so don't pretend like you're actually interested in Krauss' theory.

Then don't pretend like you are interested in getting me to understand a correct PoV. Maybe you don't care at all about getting me to understand a correct PoV, in which case, I'm not really sure what exactly you want to influence me towards.

During WWII some folks hid Jews in their attics and lied to the Nazis when they came knocking. When the Nazis asked, "Are you hiding Jews in your house?" should they have replied "Yes"? Saying "No" would protect innocent people from evil people, but it would be a lie. I know it's extreme, and I know it's cliched, but it's the fastest route to the point.

You know, I've never seen some actual evidence that that happened.

• Informative
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. I think it is relevant. We are dealing with claims here. I am asking for evidence for the claim and you refuse to provide any.
We are dealing with your claim about what they believe. We are not dealing with whether their claim is correct or not.
I got the idea from J. Warner Wallace, who said that he himself used to believe the universe came from nothing before becoming a Christian. I'd love for you to take this up with him sometime and me be able to see the results of that.
You parroted it, it's your claim now, so you defend it.
Fine, take out "you should" and replace it with "to" and add at the end of the sentence "out of self-interest". Could you answer that question?
Sure, there are reasons for anyone to do anything. Are they good reasons? Sometimes. Are they bad reasons? Sometimes. Are there consequences? Always.

There are reasons for Christians to lie out of self interest too. If you lie to get some money from someone, that's a reason to do it, you like buying stuff. If all that afterlife stuff is true, then the pros don't outweigh the cons, but that doesn't mean that you have "no reason" to lie.
I think we are talking past each other here. My original statement had the the qualifier of "self-interest". You dropped that part and said I was just saying "no reason" without the qualifier of "self-interest".
That's because "self-interest" isn't the pertinent part. I'll rephrase to demonstrate that.

First you said there was "no reason to not lie out of self interest" now you say that there is "some reason to not lie out of self interest". The part you added later was the "pragmatic reasons". When you say "no reasons" you mean "no moral reasons, not counting pragmatic ones". But what you said was "no reasons." You didn't say what you really meant. You see how that diffuses any contention you had with Dawkins and Krauss and their use of the word "nothing", right? Of course not...
Then don't pretend like you are interested in getting me to understand a correct PoV. Maybe you don't care at all about getting me to understand a correct PoV, in which case, I'm not really sure what exactly you want to influence me towards.
I don't care if you understand the theory. It'd be swell if you learned to not just make stuff up about people you know nothing about, but I'm not holding my breath. That's sort of me trying to influence you. But really, I take these arguments to the bitter end for the lurkers. You see how posts just get random "likes" and "winners" and "agree" ratings from folks that aren't part of the conversation? That's because we have an audience. Folks who read all this out of boredom because it's sorta interesting.

So when folks lose a point so soundly, and then continue to fall all over themselves repeatedly trying to save face while refusing to admit a mistake, well, they're losing credibility. And the sort of folks that would do that don't deserve to be taken seriously when they make claims, so I like to let them carry on so anyone who might read other posts in other threads in the future know there isn't going to be a serious claim.

The cure for that is admitting mistakes. If folks know you'll admit when you've made a mistake, the likelihood that you've put some thought into your posts increases and folks take them more seriously. I know I only respect folks who own their mistakes.
You know, I've never seen some actual evidence that that happened.
Then treat it like a hypothetical and answer it that way.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We are dealing with your claim about what they believe. We are not dealing with whether their claim is correct or not.

I've told you how I arrived at the conclusion I did, namely, that Dawkins said it was "literally nothing". I hardly think I am to blame for his poor word choice which is altogether misleading.

You parroted it, it's your claim now, so you defend it.

Okay, if you want. When I called myself an atheists I didn't think much about how the universe came to exist at all. If you would have told me the origin of the universe was caused by God, I would have denied that. But then I started to actually think about the complexity of life and I thought to myself that it seems perfectly reasonable that due to the complexities of my own existence that there must be some manner of god or creator of things. So I was basically a pantheist at this time. I couldn't deny the plausibility that all this was created by a higher power. In fact, it was when I was reading secular scholars that I realized that there must be some kind of god. Then I became a Christian.

Sure, there are reasons for anyone to do anything. Are they good reasons? Sometimes. Are they bad reasons? Sometimes. Are there consequences? Always.

And my point is that if an atheist has no accountability [to God] then in situations where it is reasonable to lie, they will take that route more often than not.

There are reasons for Christians to lie out of self interest too. If you lie to get some money from someone, that's a reason to do it, you like buying stuff. If all that afterlife stuff is true, then the pros don't outweigh the cons, but that doesn't mean that you have "no reason" to lie.

Yeah, I think we are talking about different things here. ANYONE has reasons to lie given the right reasons, right? Well, that is when Christianity says not to lie because you will be held accountable to God for what you say.

That's because "self-interest" isn't the pertinent part. I'll rephrase to demonstrate that.

First you said there was "no reason to not lie out of self interest" now you say that there is "some reason to not lie out of self interest". The part you added later was the "pragmatic reasons". When you say "no reasons" you mean "no moral reasons, not counting pragmatic ones". But what you said was "no reasons." You didn't say what you really meant. You see how that diffuses any contention you had with Dawkins and Krauss and their use of the word "nothing", right? Of course not...

No, you said I said "no reason" with no qualifier. I never said it without a qualifier. Show my error to me if I did actually do that. Besides, I think we were talking about self-interest all along, so me saying "no reason" goes with the context of what we were discussing. Now, I know you are going to look at this and say, "See this is just like what you are accusing Dawkins of" but the difference is that I've actually made an effort to see if you care about bringing up the context of what Dawkins has said and you've shown you don't actually care about that.

I don't care if you understand the theory. It'd be swell if you learned to not just make stuff up about people you know nothing about, but I'm not holding my breath. That's sort of me trying to influence you. But really, I take these arguments to the bitter end for the lurkers. You see how posts just get random "likes" and "winners" and "agree" ratings from folks that aren't part of the conversation? That's because we have an audience. Folks who read all this out of boredom because it's sorta interesting.

I'm not "just making stuff up about people I know nothing about" I'm pulling from a direct quote by someone. Regardless of what Dawkins actually means when he says "nothing" I got the impression he meant nothing literally. That is hardly "just making stuff up about people".

So when folks lose a point so soundly, and then continue to fall all over themselves repeatedly trying to save face while refusing to admit a mistake, well, they're losing credibility. And the sort of folks that would do that don't deserve to be taken seriously when they make claims, so I like to let them carry on so anyone who might read other posts in other threads in the future know there isn't going to be a serious claim.

It should be VERY EASY to see where I got the idea that Dawkins said the universe came from "nothing". I have two sources that say atheists think the universe came from nothing.. one from J. Warner Wallace, one from Dawkins. You can't deny that on first blush it does appear that Dawkins is saying the universe came from nothing right? Like, it is not unreasonable to think Dawkins thinks the universe came from nothing right? Like, based on those videos, for example?

The cure for that is admitting mistakes. If folks know you'll admit when you've made a mistake, the likelihood that you've put some thought into your posts increases and folks take them more seriously. I know I only respect folks who own their mistakes.

That's all fine and well, but I think the only mistake I made was thinking Dawkins meant nothing when he said nothing. I can hardly see how you can fault me for that. Who expects someone to mean the exact opposite of what they are saying? Sure, you can say the video points to Dawkins saying it was both something and nothing, but that is where I would say where I originally got the idea, which is J. Warner Wallace when he gave his own perspective from when he was an atheist.

Then treat it like a hypothetical and answer it that way.

Why?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I've told you how I arrived at the conclusion I did, namely, that Dawkins said it was "literally nothing". I hardly think I am to blame for his poor word choice which is altogether misleading.
I agreed that calling it "nothing" was misleading. But he said plenty in those videos to establish that he meant something other than actual nothing.
Okay, if you want. When I called myself an atheists I didn't think much about how the universe came to exist at all.
Okay, so you've given another example of an atheist (yourself at the time) who didn't believe the universe came from nothing. Remember, you're defending "atheists believe the universe came from nothing" so you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot.
And my point is that if an atheist has no accountability [to God] then in situations where it is reasonable to lie, they will take that route more often than not.
And as I pointed out, there are plenty of selfish reasons to not lie, no God required.
Yeah, I think we are talking about different things here. ANYONE has reasons to lie given the right reasons, right? Well, that is when Christianity says not to lie because you will be held accountable to God for what you say.
I just answered the question as it was presented to me.
No, you said I said "no reason" with no qualifier. I never said it without a qualifier. Show my error to me if I did actually do that. Besides, I think we were talking about self-interest all along, so me saying "no reason" goes with the context of what we were discussing.
I added your "self-interest" qualifier and it didn't make a difference. That qualifier isn't pertinent to the "no reason" claim. You changed "no reason" to mean "no moral reason". That's the new qualifier.
Now, I know you are going to look at this and say, "See this is just like what you are accusing Dawkins of" but the difference is that I've actually made an effort to see if you care about bringing up the context of what Dawkins has said and you've shown you don't actually care about that.
That doesn't follow. The difference between your actions and Dawkins' actions are that while you both chose words poorly, you made an effort to talk to me about it and Dawkins didn't? That's bonkers, those things aren't related. You both chose your words poorly, period.
I'm not "just making stuff up about people I know nothing about" I'm pulling from a direct quote by someone. Regardless of what Dawkins actually means when he says "nothing" I got the impression he meant nothing literally. That is hardly "just making stuff up about people".
You made a broad claim about atheists in general, which you've provided two examples thus far (Dawkins and your younger self) that refutes that claim. You also made a claim about why Dawkins doesn't believe in God out of pure speculation. Remember that you said Dawkins doesn't believe because he doesn't want to be held accountable. You don't have any evidence for these claims, so you're just making stuff up.
It should be VERY EASY to see where I got the idea that Dawkins said the universe came from "nothing". I have two sources that say atheists think the universe came from nothing.. one from J. Warner Wallace, one from Dawkins. You can't deny that on first blush it does appear that Dawkins is saying the universe came from nothing right? Like, it is not unreasonable to think Dawkins thinks the universe came from nothing right? Like, based on those videos, for example?
Dawkins words were misleading (Krauss too) I'll give you that. One dude (Wallace) making a claim about a huge swath of people isn't good evidence, you get that right? I mean, if he had conducted a survey or something, okay. But he didn't, so why would you believe him?
That's all fine and well, but I think the only mistake I made was thinking Dawkins meant nothing when he said nothing. I can hardly see how you can fault me for that. Who expects someone to mean the exact opposite of what they are saying? Sure, you can say the video points to Dawkins saying it was both something and nothing, but that is where I would say where I originally got the idea, which is J. Warner Wallace when he gave his own perspective from when he was an atheist.
I don't fault you for making mistakes, everyone does. I fault you for not owning them. But kudos for taking a step in the right direction. Now do you still think atheists in general think the universe came from nothing, or do you get that you were mistaken about that as well?
Because I want to know if there is ever a reason good enough for a Christian to lie? If you were in that situation, would you turn the people over to the Nazis knowing they'd be sent to a camp and tortured/killed?

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I agreed that calling it "nothing" was misleading. But he said plenty in those videos to establish that he meant something other than actual nothing.

Then we actually agree on something.

Okay, so you've given another example of an atheist (yourself at the time) who didn't believe the universe came from nothing. Remember, you're defending "atheists believe the universe came from nothing" so you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot.

My experience reflects J. Warner Wallace's experience in that we both didn't have a legitimate reason for the cause of the universe.

And as I pointed out, there are plenty of selfish reasons to not lie, no God required.

Not in every case.

I just answered the question as it was presented to me.

That's fine. Will you consider what I've said?

I added your "self-interest" qualifier and it didn't make a difference. That qualifier isn't pertinent to the "no reason" claim. You changed "no reason" to mean "no moral reason". That's the new qualifier.

Because I see these two qualifiers as two sides of the same coin. Selfishness [for personal gain] is inherently immoral.

That doesn't follow. The difference between your actions and Dawkins' actions are that while you both chose words poorly, you made an effort to talk to me about it and Dawkins didn't? That's bonkers, those things aren't related. You both chose your words poorly, period.

Perhaps my perspective that being selfish is immoral will satisfy you... or not.

You made a broad claim about atheists in general, which you've provided two examples thus far (Dawkins and your younger self) that refutes that claim. You also made a claim about why Dawkins doesn't believe in God out of pure speculation. Remember that you said Dawkins doesn't believe because he doesn't want to be held accountable. You don't have any evidence for these claims, so you're just making stuff up.

My evidence for this is that Dawkins sees the God of the Bible as evil and that is why he doesn't believe in him.

Dawkins words were misleading (Krauss too) I'll give you that. One dude (Wallace) making a claim about a huge swath of people isn't good evidence, you get that right? I mean, if he had conducted a survey or something, okay. But he didn't, so why would you believe him?

Good question. Here's the video I got it from:

Relevant part at 1:05

I don't fault you for making mistakes, everyone does. I fault you for not owning them. But kudos for taking a step in the right direction. Now do you still think atheists in general think the universe came from nothing, or do you get that you were mistaken about that as well?

Not sure.

Because I want to know if there is ever a reason good enough for a Christian to lie? If you were in that situation, would you turn the people over to the Nazis knowing they'd be sent to a camp and tortured/killed?

Hypothetical rarely reflect reality accurately. I've never been put in the situation where lying would be morally better than the alternative.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
My experience reflects J. Warner Wallace's experience in that we both didn't have a legitimate reason for the cause of the universe.
Which is not the same thing as holding a belief that the universe came from nothing.
Not in every case.
Yes, in every case the possibility of being caught is a reason to not lie.
That's fine. Will you consider what I've said?
Sure.
Because I see these two qualifiers as two sides of the same coin. Selfishness [for personal gain] is inherently immoral.
Nope. You're not going to weasel out of it. You made a poor choice of words because you're trying to frame atheists as more dishonest than Christians. You failed because there are plenty of reasons outside of God to be honest. Give it up, own your mistake.
Perhaps my perspective that being selfish is immoral will satisfy you... or not.
Nope. But hey, if you think it's always wrong to lie for personal gain, then you should take that back to my thread and realize it's always wrong to ignore the suffering of others for personal gain.
My evidence for this is that Dawkins sees the God of the Bible as evil and that is why he doesn't believe in him.
That doesn't even follow. OT God did some really gnarly stuff, but that has nothing to do with what what is considered a sin.
Good question. Here's the video I got it from:
Ahh, I see that Wallace doesn't even understand The Big Bang. He is describing it wrong.
Hypothetical rarely reflect reality accurately. I've never been put in the situation where lying would be morally better than the alternative.
That's why hypotheticals are so useful. So what would you do in that situation?

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0