Taylor Marshall commentary - Trump chooses Vigano, not USA bishops as election approaches

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟435,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm sharing this if for no other reason than Marshall tells an anecdote about then-archbishop Wuerl around 2010 or so. Marshall was a new convert to the faith and was helping setup sound for Wuerl's visit and the Q&A that was to follow, recording it as an MP3 to share on their podcast later.

He remembers a good Catholic woman who nervously asked the archbishop about a Mass Nancy Pelosi had celebrated when she became Speaker of the House again. The woman asked why the archbishop allowed it when she is such a vocal opponent to the Church teaching on abortion. Wuerl angrily shouted that it's not his job as the bishop, it's the laity's job. Something which Bishop Barron appeared to echo a couple weeks ago with a laywoman asked if he's going to stand against the iconoclasm happening around the country.

He also goes into the upcoming election, the state of the episcopacy and the Church worldwide and in the U.S. Interesting thoughts and commentary.

Anyway, the whole thing is good but his story about Wuerl was interesting as well.

Last edited:

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
If I could give this post a thousand gold stars, I would.
It's painful, it's honest, and it's filled with good, solid truth.

Thanks for posting this. May God help us! :crossrc:

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟435,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If I could give this post a thousand gold stars, I would.
It's painful, it's honest, and it's filled with good, solid truth.

Thanks for posting this. May God help us! :crossrc:

Totally, he hit it on the head there.

• Friendly
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So many bishops appear to not be saved people - no zeal, no strength, to do what's needed.

How one can be appointed bishop, yet not show fruit of salvation makes me view the office as something of this world, not of the Kingdom of God.

• Agree
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟435,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So many bishops appear to not be saved people - no zeal, no strength, to do what's needed.

How one can be appointed bishop, yet not show fruit of salvation makes me view the office as something of this world, not of the Kingdom of God.

I would say they seem to lack supernatural faith rather than they aren't saved, if only because it could lead to some soteriological confusion. I understand your point though.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,244,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

And yet how many of us are quick to judge based on flimsy evidence the ministry of someone who isn't exactly like we want them to be. I've seen all kinds and met a few and even know one. I've been scandalized by some and blessed by others. I want them to grow spines, and yet some of them have way more spine than I will ever have.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
And yet how many of us are quick to judge based on flimsy evidence the ministry of someone who isn't exactly like we want them to be. I've seen all kinds and met a few and even know one. I've been scandalized by some and blessed by others. I want them to grow spines, and yet some of them have way more spine than I will ever have.

It's God who "gives the spine", but it's also true that man has to be willing to step up, and accept that gift.
We see this happening time and again in the Bible.

When people are faced with extraordinary challenges (all the way from Mary's "yes" to Peter's "yes")
they had a choice.

God doesn't force courage on His people. Instead He gives them a chance to be courageous.

Upvote 0