TAW Iconographers

D

Dostoevsky

I thought I'd just post this in here...it's a picture of the monks installing the Pantocrator icon in our new dome. The iconographer is Archbishop Gregory of Buena Vista.

Attachments

• pantocrator.jpg
    pantocrator.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 307
Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I recently completed a big project that I had been working on for about a year... the iconostasis at my Church. The icons that the parish had before this were very bad prints (and I mean really bad. They looked like they were printed out on a very bad inkjet printer, and they were really blotchy looking like they had gotten wet or something). As a wedding gift for my wife, I decided that I would replace all the icons in the iconostasis.

So in May of last year, the icons of Christ, the Theotokos and the Transfiguration of Christ (the Church is named Holy Transfiguration) were installed.

The night before the wedding, I (along with some helpers from the Church) installed the new Royal Doors and the icon of St. John the Forerunner. At the end of Bright Week, I installed (temporarily since they hadn't been mounted to wood yet) the icons of the Archangels Michael and Gabriel on the Deacon's Doors.

I then did some finishing touches on all of the icons and reinstalled everything. We are hoping to have a blessing soon for all of the icons now that they are all finished. I wanted to share pictures now that everything is completed.

Boise-iconostasis.jpg

BoiseChrist2.jpg

Pimen.jpg

RoyalDoors.jpg

Forerunner2.jpg

Transfiguration.jpg

Michael8.jpg

Gabriel.jpg

Reactions: ikonographics
Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My spiritual father recently visited Kazakhstan, which Patriarch Alexey had described as "Russia's antimension" as thousands were martyred there in the gulags. He was given relics of St Nicholas the Confessor of Alma Ata and Kazakhstan and asked me to paint his icon for the church. You can read about the life of St Nicholas here. He is known to perform many miracles.

40588_457133800812_709320812_6512330_529357_n.jpg

Upvote 0

Happy Orthodox

Aug 9, 2004
The lone star state
✟8,880.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's been quiet here lately.

Here's my work-in-progress - I'm embroidering an icon of St Nicholas. It's cross-stitched in cotton thread, one length of thread over the point where two threads intersect, 32 stitches to the inch in any given direction. Oh, and the halo is two colours of gold (and sparkly - and hard to stitch with!!) thread :)

Is there any progress on this, Kyriaki?

But this looks beautiful! I'm also working on a cross stitch project which is 28 stitches per inch and much less complicated. I feel bad now for abandoning it for months! Where did you get the pattern?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thankyou for the compliment!

Unfortunately no... I should get it back out again, I got to the bits with metallic thread and got a bit stuck because the metallic I used isn't very good, oh well.

The pattern is from Solaria Gallery and you can find it if you google, I can't remember the actual website. They're good patterns, but use Petite Treasure Braid or glissen gloss for the metallics, what they recommend is awful!

Upvote 0

Happy Orthodox

Aug 9, 2004
The lone star state
✟8,880.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oh my gosh! That gallery is amazing! I'm trying to create my own pattern and ornament from an icon and it's taking too long...

Well, I bought a bunch of metallic threads at a craft store and using whatever fits. I'm actually "gilding" the entire background with different gold colored metallic threads. I like it so far.

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It forms the letters of the abbreviation of "Jesus Christ" in Greek ΙCXC. It is the gesture used by Orthodox priests when giving a blessing. In other words they are blessing with the name of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0