Minnesota
✟7,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What are all y'all's thoughts on tattoos, or body art?

As far back as I can remember, my mom has always had tattoos on her body. She has more than ever now, and is working on getting her sleeves completed.
Because of this, I have never viewed tattoos as rebellious or sinful. To me, it's just an art form that goes on the body. There's nothing really horrible about it.

I'm getting my first tattoo next week. It's going to be of Fluttershy, from My Little Pony, with a purple awareness ribbon as her cutie mark. It's going on my arm. The money goes to support the boy who attempted suicide, because he was bullied for liking MLP.

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

As far back as I can remember, my mom has always had tattoos on her body. She has more than ever now, and is working on getting her sleeves completed.
Because of this, I have never viewed tattoos as rebellious or sinful. To me, it's just an art form that goes on the body. There's nothing really horrible about it.

I'm getting my first tattoo next week. It's going to be of Fluttershy, from My Little Pony, with a purple awareness ribbon as her cutie mark. It's going on my arm. The money goes to support the boy who attempted suicide, because he was bullied for liking MLP.

First what is MLP? Second, I have 2 (working on the design for #3) and find nothing wrong with tattos. Let me place a caveat here however and say provided they are not satanistic, anti-God etc, and have a meaning, even If only for the one who has it.

Upvote 0

SaltwaterHeart

A Christian Furry And A Christian Brony
Mar 12, 2014
Minnesota
✟7,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
First what is MLP? Second, I have 2 (working on the design for #3) and find nothing wrong with tattos. Let me place a caveat here however and say provided they are not satanistic, anti-God etc, and have a meaning, even If only for the one who has it.

Oh, MLP is the acronym for My Little Pony, similar to how MLP:FIM or FIM stands for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, or Friendship Is Magic. I apologize for not making that clear.

Anyway, that's really awesome! What are your tattoos of?

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, MLP is the acronym for My Little Pony, similar to how MLP:FIM or FIM stands for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, or Friendship Is Magic. I apologize for not making that clear.

Anyway, that's really awesome! What are your tattoos of?

I have a red and blue spider on my arm, and a red and blue, old school Web over my heart with my son's and wife's name in it. You? What's yours going to be?

Upvote 0
B

boogalaboogala

Leviticus 19:28

King James Version (KJV)

28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

i would have to agree with you.. there is just no way that any of us can refute the verse you just copy/pasted here..
the truth is, for anyone to go on ahead and get a tat after reading that. well, they are outright rebelling against God..
now, i am not saying that you should not get a tattoo.. God is, in His word..

Upvote 0
B

boogalaboogala

Im covered , prey every morning , read the bible every day , some of my tatts are bible verses , all of them are a history of my life from boy to soldier to farther to Christian.

just cause you do it doesn't make it right..
the fact is God's word says that we are not to do it..
your aregument would be with God

Upvote 0

markvs

May 16, 2014
✟15,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As far as I remember I was taught that a tattoo is a sign of slavery, as is an ear piercing. As such, both would be inappropriate, but, the church has gone soft these days. There are a small number of people at my church that have recently got tats, one being of a turtle god of the pacific islands, and no one has even bothered to query it. I would have a problem these days holding a hard time on ear piercing these days also. Just my 2cents worth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
just cause you do it doesn't make it right..
the fact is God's word says that we are not to do it..
your aregument would be with God

Is not the context pagan necromancy? and since the next verse says about not cutting beards, do preachers shave?

Because if preachers who loudly criticize tattoos also shave, then they are really admitting that they are not Old Testament Jews under the law, in the land. They are exercising their freedom to pursue their preference to shave, while trying to deny other people's preference for a tattoo (even if it's faith based and effective in conversation-starting witness).

For believers exercising Romans 14 Christian liberty, where motive under Gospel auspices counts for a lot, they may be in a different category.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I'm getting my first tattoo next week. .

SaltwaterHeart:

Well, it's not unusual that your mom has had it done. 59%-70% of parlor clients in North America are female, with the proportion higher in some areas, according to parlor surveys. It used to be a man thing. But no way, any more.

Upvote 0

NostalgicGranny

Senior Veteran
Sep 2, 2007
Texas
✟25,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is not the context pagan necromancy? and since the next verse says about not cutting beards, do preachers shave?

Because if preachers who loudly criticize tattoos also shave, then they are really admitting that they are not Old Testament Jews under the law, in the land. They are exercising their freedom to pursue their preference to shave, while trying to deny other people's preference for a tattoo (even if it's faith based and effective in conversation-starting witness).

For believers exercising Romans 14 Christian liberty, where motive under Gospel auspices counts for a lot, they may be in a different category.

Blessings.

The ban on shaving had to deal with pagan mourning rites. It really didn't deal with a modern preachers reasons for shaving.
There are times in the bible when you were suppose to shave all the hair on your head - nazarite vow. There were other places where the bible says to trim the hair on your head, but NOT in a certain way.
Numbers 6:18 (NKJV)
18 Then the Nazirite shall shave his consecrated head at the door of the tabernacle of meeting, and shall take the hair from his consecrated head and put it on the fire which is under the sacrifice of the peace offering.
In Ezekiel the were told to trim their hair.
Ezekiel 44:20 ESV / 22 helpful votes
They shall not shave their heads or let their locks grow long; they shall surely trim the hair of their heads.

I think the important thing has to do with following the spirit of the law. Find out why this rule on tattoo's was made and ask yourself if you really want to knowingly break the rule/law. Then make your peace with the Lord. My first question to myself would not be is anyone else doing this? It would be is "this" worth losing my soul over?

Last edited:
Reactions: Suzyaussie
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The ban on shaving had to deal with pagan mourning rites. It really didn't deal with a modern preachers reasons for shaving.
There are times in the bible when you were suppose to shave all the hair on your head - nazarite vow. There were other places where the bible says to trim the hair on your head, but NOT in a certain way.
Numbers 6:18 (NKJV)
18 Then the Nazirite shall shave his consecrated head at the door of the tabernacle of meeting, and shall take the hair from his consecrated head and put it on the fire which is under the sacrifice of the peace offering.
In Ezekiel the were told to trim their hair.
Ezekiel 44:20 ESV / 22 helpful votes
They shall not shave their heads or let their locks grow long; they shall surely trim the hair of their heads.

I think the important thing has to do with following the spirit of the law. Find out why this rule on tattoo's was made and ask yourself if you really want to knowingly break the rule/law. Then make your peace with the Lord. My first question to myself would not be is anyone else doing this? It would be is "this" worth losing my soul over?

Thank-you for your comments, Ms. NostalicGranny. I think it needs to be born in mind that sometimes we are actually talking about a Bible verse or reference on a wrist, or a Christian fish sign <><, etc., obtained by Christians with the conscientious desire to bear testimony and be God-homoring. From a pragmatic point of view, many Christians find them to be very effective in helping witness conversations.
Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
tattos or body art is about how keen you are to document some incident or name , or graphic design on yourself forever......

Some Christians find it's a very effective way to start witness conversations, if the design is a Bible verse, or faith based.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It would be is "this" worth losing my soul over?

Ms. NostalgicGranny: Are you really saying that someone under grace with for example a John 3.16 ref. on a wrist - nothing to do with necromancy - that gets to talk to a lot of people about the Gospel through it, will lose their souls? (I don't understand the theology, for a start.)

Blessings.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

My church teaches that it is in fact sinful, and they back it up with Scripture.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Leviticus 19:28

King James Version (KJV)

28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

Yeah this is exactly the verse that my church uses.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah this is exactly the verse that my church uses.

Hi there; how would the previous verse be handled, where is says about not trimming beards?

Like, do preachers shave?

If they shave, maybe they are admitting that this section's context relates to Old Testament Jews in the land under the law.

Someone has said: 'All Scripture is for us; all Scripture is not about us'.

That is, Scripture is all for our learning in one way or another but it does not describe own situation dispensationally.

Blessings.

Upvote 0