collegekid

Sep 10, 2004
indiana
Visit site
✟201.00
Faith
Non-Denom
JohnJones said:
(1 Cor 6:20) For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Besides the fact that your body aint even yours, the point of tatoos is to rebel against parents, shock people, show others that you are looking for a wild time, aint it?
not really.

in the music sence it's simply a matter of style. even in the "christian" music scence.

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
when i turn 18 im getting a cross tattoo, it should be fun. i know a lot of christians who get tattoos and have tattoos. yes your body is a temple for the holy spirit, but a tattoo that glorifies god certainly doesnt blaspheme him, now does it?

Upvote 0

tinkerbell

Jul 31, 2003
TN
Visit site
✟16,033.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if that's the greatest way to look at things - just because it has a cross, it must be good. Even if it is a cross, it causes pain to your body, and the dyes are not good for your body at all. So no matter what you get the tatoo of, it's not really respecting God. We don't need to get tatoos to show that we are Christians, it's our actions that count. I don't want you to take any of this in the wrong way though. I don't want you to think that I'm saying you're a bad person if you get a tatoo, or anything like that - that's between you and God. This is just my personal opinion on the topic.

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
tinkerbell said:
I don't know if that's the greatest way to look at things - just because it has a cross, it must be good. Even if it is a cross, it causes pain to your body, and the dyes are not good for your body at all. So no matter what you get the tatoo of, it's not really respecting God. We don't need to get tatoos to show that we are Christians, it's our actions that count. I don't want you to take any of this in the wrong way though. I don't want you to think that I'm saying you're a bad person if you get a tatoo, or anything like that - that's between you and God. This is just my personal opinion on the topic.

The inks are completely neutral to your body, they are non-toxic, safer than most of the water you drink in fact! The pain argument it incorrect, completely so, childbirth causes pain, working out causes pain, fasting causes pain, jus to name off a few things. A tattoo is neutral as a thing. It becomes whatever the person getting the tattoo makes it, it can a rebellion, it can be worship, it can be a statement of faith, it can be just about anything.

JohnJones said:
Besides the fact that your body aint even yours, the point of tatoos is to rebel against parents, shock people, show others that you are looking for a wild time, aint it?

My body is not mine, and my tattoos are even further proof of that, they bear permanent witness to the ownership of this mortal coil. And no, not a single one of my tats was out of rebellion, it is accepted by most of society at this point in history and carries little or no stigma, oddly enough most of the stigma comes from Christians and not the world. People comment on my tats, and I get to witness to them, neat how that works huh?

Upvote 0

Yebo

obey HIM!!!
May 31, 2004
Tzaneen - South Africa
✟382.00
Faith
Christian
:wave: Greetings from a sunny South Africa :cool:

Jesus on various occasions that He only do what the Father told Him to do and says what He heard the Father spoke. Ask yourself then if the Father told you to get a tatoo.

In Lev 19:28 you will find the following: "do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tatoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord." This instruction was simply given that there was to be NO disfiguring of the body, after the manner of the pagans. Such laserations and disfigurement were common amongst pagans as signs of mourning and to secure the attention of their deity.

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Jesus on various occasions that He only do what the Father told Him to do and says what He heard the Father spoke. Ask yourself then if the Father told you to get a tatoo.

In Lev 19:28 you will find the following: "do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tatoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord." This instruction was simply given that there was to be NO disfiguring of the body, after the manner of the pagans. Such laserations and disfigurement were common amongst pagans as signs of mourning and to secure the attention of their deity.

In Lev 19:27 we find the following:

Leviticus 19:27Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

Do you have a full beard? The Law does not apply to us, we are not under that covenant, that was a covenant for Israel prior to the coming of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yebo

obey HIM!!!
May 31, 2004
Tzaneen - South Africa
✟382.00
Faith
Christian

The Law does not apply to us, as you put it, but then the Old Testament also serves as a shadow type for the New Testament. The "new law" that governs us today (Matt 22:37 -40) stipulates: "Jesus said to him, " ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ "This is the first and great commandment. "And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."

My initial question remains the same. Did the Father told you to have a tatoo?

Paul in Col 3:17 wrote: "And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Maybe time for a variation of the initial question, did you request your tatoo in the name of Jesus and gave thanks to god the Father through Him?

Paul wrote to the church in Corinth to "you were bought at a price. Therefor honor God with your body." (1 Cor 6:20) and in 1 Cor 10:31 Paul wrote "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

This fact - that God must be glorified in all - is a all-inclusive principle that governs the discussion in 1 Corinthians chapters 8 to 10 and should govern EVERYTHING we do.

Upvote 0

oldrooster

Thank You Jerry
Apr 4, 2004
Salt lake City, Utah
✟8,141.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yebo said:

The Law does not apply to us, as you put it, but then the Old Testament also serves as a shadow type for the New Testament. The "new law" that governs us today (Matt 22:37 -40) stipulates: "Jesus said to him, " ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ "This is the first and great commandment. "And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."

My initial question remains the same. Did the Father told you to have a tatoo?

Paul in Col 3:17 wrote: "And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Maybe time for a variation of the initial question, did you request your tatoo in the name of Jesus and gave thanks to god the Father through Him?

Paul wrote to the church in Corinth to "you were bought at a price. Therefor honor God with your body." (1 Cor 6:20) and in 1 Cor 10:31 Paul wrote "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

This fact - that God must be glorified in all - is a all-inclusive principle that governs the discussion in 1 Corinthians chapters 8 to 10 and should govern EVERYTHING we do.
Leviticus does not apply to us, do you eat shellfish ? How about pork ? Do you make your wife sleep outside when she is on her period ? That is levititical law as well. Hope you follow it all.

Upvote 0

Yebo

obey HIM!!!
May 31, 2004
Tzaneen - South Africa
✟382.00
Faith
Christian
:wave: Greetings from a sunny south Africa :cool:

oldrooster said:
Leviticus does not apply to us, do you eat shellfish ? How about pork ? Do you make your wife sleep outside when she is on her period ? That is levititical law as well. Hope you follow it all.

If you read my post carefully I said that THE LAW is not applicable to us as indicated by Flesh99. However I also said that the Old Testament act as a shadow type for the New Testament.

According to your line of argument I take it that you tend to ignore everything in Leviticus including statements like "Ye shall be holy: for I the Lord your God am holy." or "ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie to one another."

If my understanding regarding the Old Testament being a shadow type of the New Testament is wrong, please indicate to me what part of Leviticus or any part of the Old Testament can I ignore in toto.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
flesh99 said:
My body is not mine, and my tattoos are even further proof of that, they bear permanent witness to the ownership of this mortal coil. And no, not a single one of my tats was out of rebellion, it is accepted by most of society at this point in history and carries little or no stigma, oddly enough most of the stigma comes from Christians and not the world. People comment on my tats, and I get to witness to them, neat how that works huh?

My problem is that they can become a stronghold of sorts. My Christian nephew started with an armband of a crown of thorns. Then a beautiful Celtic cross on the other arm. Then he went bananas and had "ride til you die" done down his spine. Now his father wishes that his tatooist runs out of ink. Apparently, Austin just doesn't know when to stop, not unlike getting skulls and devils by the biker gangs! Any advice?

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well the thing about tattoos is that they are forever, removal is still sketchy at best and extremely offensive. Like anythign else in life they can become an addiction and once that happens the person should be treated just like who is addicted to food, smoking, and so on. Gentle loving correction and being shown how that anything that is an addiction is to excess and scripture speaks against doing anything to excess. I don't condemn tattoos obviously, but have no problem telling people to slow down and think more. When I was a tattoo artist I used to send people away if they wanted something cheesey and obviously hadn't put any thought into it.

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
notinvain said:
Would Jesus get a tatoo? If so why?

This is a strawman argument. Would Jesus attend a modern church? Would Jesus drive a red car? Would Jesus wear Armani?

[bible]Revelation 19:16[/bible]

So I guess the answer is yes, in some manner Christ will have His skin marked, the Bible says He will! But it is still a strawman argument.

The early Christians used a small cross tattooed on the soft part of the wrist to identify themselves, there is evidence that can be argued to show the Moses used a marking in certain cases, even further proving the Levitical arguments refer to specifically pagan practices.

Upvote 0

Crimson Rose

Sep 9, 2004
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
✟266.00
Faith
Christian
I think the importance of getting a tatoo or the reasoning behind disliking tatoos all comes from the environment you live in and the people you are surrounded by

Pesonally, i wouldn't get a tattoo bc im a girl. and there isnt any place on a girls body that doesnt change over time or bc of weight gain. And the last thing you want to do is get a tatoo and then have is change shape! ugh!!!!!

ps. even ankles swell when you get pregnant!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.