HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...because America is strong when we celebrate our democratic values, not military props used to appease a President's whims.

(Shrugs) I think people are making this a bigger deal than it is.

We celebrated our democratic values, and the history of the armed forces. He had a pretty decent crowd too.

I think to many may much to do about nothing.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Tanks are M1 Abrams not Shermans. It is our most modern tank as there have been dozens of upgrades, refits and completely new manufacturing.

The plant in Lima that remanufactures the tanks is only about 90 miles from my place. I wouldn't mind taking a tour of the facility sometime and dream about how good some of the stuff they have would look in my garage.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The plant in Lima that remanufactures the tanks is only about 90 miles from my place. I wouldn't mind taking a tour of the facility sometime and dream about how good some of the stuff they have would look in my garage.

lol you sound like my husband!

Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lol you sound like my husband!

Boys and their toys eh!

My military drivers license was 6 pages thick but didn't include an M1 or a Bradley, I wouldn't mind rectifying that omission some day ^_^

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(Shrugs) I think people are making this a bigger deal than it is.

We celebrated our democratic values, and the history of the armed forces. He had a pretty decent crowd too.

I think to many may much to do about nothing.

In the end, I agree this single event was not that big of a deal. The President was probably disappointed as the static displays were a far cry from they hype...the President himself helped create.

I am more concerned by his continuing efforts to exploit the military and people's sense of patriotism -- for his own gain.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In the end, I agree this single event was not that big of a deal. The President was probably disappointed as the static displays were a far cry from they hype...the President himself helped create.

I am more concerned by his continuing efforts to exploit the military and people's sense of patriotism -- for his own gain.
And the democrats never do that. They are pure and clean.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...because America is strong when we celebrate our democratic values, not military props used to appease a President's whims.

Being as that it is July 4th, I find throwing out some military "props" quite relevant.

You do know (I hope) that the 4th of July is marked as the US independence day right?

You do know our military forces fought for that independence right?

So what better a day, to throw some military props out in celebration?

Besides, what is even your problem with this? Just needed something to gripe about? I found this parade a very nice change in pace from the antifa and other such violence thats been freely running around. A very nice parade indeed. A positive thing. Something to be happy about. Apparently, there are those who just cant be happy about anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being as that it is July 4th, I find throwing out some military "props" quite relevant.

You do know (I hope) that the 4th of July is marked as the US independence day right?

You do know our military forces fought for that independence right?

So what better a day, to throw some military props out in celebration?

Besides, what is even your problem with this? Just needed something to gripe about? I found this parade a very nice change in pace from the antifa and other such violence thats been freely running around. A very nice parade indeed. A positive thing. Something to be happy about. Apparently, there are those who just cant be happy about anything.

You do know the strength of the United States democracy relies on her citizens, not her military?

As a young soldier, I took an oath to defend the United States Constitution...and to this day, I will fight to defend the freedoms we have thanks to people like Jefferson, Adams and Madison. They appreciated the dangers of concentrated, unchecked power. Do we?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tanks arrive in D.C. for Trump's Fourth of July celebration

WASHINGTON — Tanks for President Donald Trump’s “Salute to America” Fourth of July celebration were seen arriving in Washington on Tuesday morning, just days before the event is scheduled to take place.

NBC News captured video of the tanks — two Bradley and two Abrams tanks — purportedly en route to the National Mall for Thursday’s event. Also in transport are support vehicles, including an M88, used to help recover heavy armored vehicles.

A photographer for the Associated Press also spotted two M1A1 Abrams tanks along with four other military vehicles on a freight train in southeast D.C. on Monday night.

View attachment 258992

On Monday, Trump told reporters that tanks would be stationed outside of the Fourth of July celebration, but gave no further details.

Two U.S. defense officials familiar with the planning confirmed that Trump's remarks at Thursday's event are expected to be roughly 20 minutes long, with approximately four minutes dedicated to each service of the military.

The defense officials also said that different branches of the military are expected to provide air assets for the the Fourth of July celebration: the Army will bring four Apache helicopters; the Navy will bring two F-35s and two F/A-18s; the Air Force will supply a B-2 bomber, two F-22s, and the Air Force One plane; the Marine Corps will bring the new Marine One that is still in test and evaluation phase, as well as two V-22 Ospreys; the Coast Guard will have a Jayhawk and a Dolphin helicopter as well as a turboprop plane; and the Navy's Blue Angels will close out the aerial review with six F/A-18 Hornets, featuring as many as 16 pilots.

The military hardware will be transported from bases around the country, ranging as close as Joint Base Andrews in Maryland to as far away as the Naval Air Station in California.

With the increased air traffic in Washington on Thursday, the Federal Aviation Administration said that it would suspend operations at the Ronald Reagan National Airport, the closest commercial airport to D.C., from 6:15 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. ET. Operations at the airport will also be impacted from 9:00 p.m. to 9:45 p.m. ET, during the fireworks show.

More at link: Tanks arrive in D.C. for Trump's Fourth of July celebration

A few nce tanks never hurt anybody.
Come on wave the flag and be happy now.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A few nce tanks never hurt anybody.
Come on wave the flag and be happy now.
M-Bob

A lot of towns around the country have been having 4th of July parades with military vehicles/personnel in them for years, it's nothing new just on a larger scale.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And just think back in 2014 Schumer and DeBlasio wanted to put on a big military parade:

[O]nly a few years ago, none other than Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and New York’s Marxist Mayor Bill de Blasio enthusiastically supported the idea of a “ticker tape” military parade to honor those who fought in the war on terror.

“After all, these men risked their lives to protect us,” Schumer said (forgetting to mention women — whoops!). “They experienced terrible trial and tragedy along the way.”

According to this CBS New York report, Schumer called for “a grand event at the Canyon of Heroes that would include military brass, color guards, military bands, and fly-overs.”

“The brave men and women who have selflessly served our nation with courage and skill in Iraq and Afghanistan deserve a recognition for their sacrifice. I stand with Sen. Schumer in his call for a parade to honor our veteran heroes, and New York City would be proud to host this important event,” Mayor de Blasio proclaimed at the time. But that was way back in 2014, when it was still okay to be associated with “flashy” military parades.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of towns around the country have been having 4th of July parades with military vehicles/personnel in them for years, it's nothing new just on a larger scale.
Indeed. Can’t think of a local parade without the military display in all parades to include the Christmas or Holiday parade. Then again, I’ve lived only in communities near a military installation for the past 30 years.

I especially like our horse cavalry troop which leads the city parade each year. Which sometimes if the horses ate too much the night before provides a softer ground for those who follow. :)

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which sometimes if the horses ate too much the night before provides a softer ground for those who follow.

My Dad told me that once those things froze in the winter guys would use them for a tug of war. :scratch:

Needless to say I always thought that to be a weird activity but as you well know boredom can make you do strange things when on a deployment. ^_^

• Haha
Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do know the strength of the United States democracy relies on her citizens, not her military?

The US military are citizens of the US. Also, the military is nothing without the citizens and vise versa, I believe. One without the other doesn't work out too well.

Furthermore, I think your hate for Trump is blinding you, really.

Having the parade as we did was perfect for the 4th of July, which was by the way a military victory. Not only that, many different people were recognized during the presidents speech, not just military.

I thought this parade was just what the country needed. I was wrong, but I thought that everyone would have loved it and come together just at least for the day to celebrate another anniversary of a victory we won to become the nation we are. Even if people hated Trump, I thought that even they would have been happy to hear him recognize different people of all sorts of backgrounds, while at the same time remembering our military both in the past and present.

I just am not fathoming why there is such animosity over a justified parade and remembrance of our nation's coming to be.

As a young soldier, I took an oath to defend the United States Constitution...and to this day, I will fight to defend the freedoms we have thanks to people like Jefferson, Adams and Madison.

Awesome. That makes me happy you joined into the military. Great experience for those who can mentally handle it. I myself was in the Marine branch of service.

They appreciated the dangers of concentrated, unchecked power. Do we?

This has nothing to do with the parade/celebration of the 4th of July.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My Dad told me that once those things froze in the winter guys would use them for a tug of war. :scratch:

Needless to say I always thought that to be a weird activity but as you well know boredom can make you do strange things when on a deployment. ^_^
Now Fort Hood has a huge training area. Given the open range law in Texas, local ranchers bring their livestock to graze in the training areas. So I “grew up” there training side by side with cattle.

Well one long summer out in the field training we became bored between missions so invented a new game. We called it cow pie skeet shooting. We threw up a dried pattie of cow dung in the air and used rocks to shoot them down. Lol it was fun.

• Haha
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now Fort Hood has a huge training area. Given the open range law in Texas, local ranchers bring their livestock to graze in the training areas. So I “grew up” there training side by side with cattle.

When I was young my Aunt and Uncle raised Herefords so I got familiar with them too, mucking the barn, feeding and filling the loft with hay bales in the dead of summer :swoon:. One day I was out mucking the barn and when I slid in next to one of the cows she decided to shift over and she put me thru one of the white oak dividers. I was stuck there butt first and pounding on her back trying to get her to move, finally Uncle John came to my rescue with a pitchfork and pulled me out. All he said was "you know you need to fix that divider don't you"? ^_^

• Haha
Upvote 0