Tackling the "assumptions" of radiometric dating...part 1.

EternalDragon

Counselor
Jul 31, 2013
✟21,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It's worse than this: if ED's contention is correct, that the ages of the rocks are simply maturity, then he has to admit that the FOSSILS were planted there as "maturity" as well. Because there are rocks that date to millions of years old which COVER the fossils.

And there is a crater in mexico that demonstrates HISTORY, not maturity, which dates to 65 million years ago. It's an EVENT which happened 65 million years ago. It would be like Adam having a healed broken bone which he never experienced. Or a scar from an injury which never actually happened.

Evidence please?

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
EternalDragon said:
Yes, that is all you have. Craters. How they got there is up to assumption.

That's right. We just assume that meteors make craters. You don't know, you were there!

Lol. Never mind the layer of iridium found at that same strat layer, an element that is both rare on earth's crust and common in meteors.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
One more kick at the Apparent Age thing, and I'll call it a night.

http://static.bbc.co.uk/universe/img/ic/640/sights/supernovae/supernovae_large.jpg

This is a supernova remnant, ED. When stars die, they send out interstellar mass all over the place, and they look quite pretty.

I'm not good at cosmology, I'll admit, but the first problem that occurs to me is that God apparently made the universe with stars that were already in the process of dying, which seems a bit odd. But I think it's even worse than that really.

The supernova remnants span millions and millions of lightyears. There's no way they got that far out in 6,000 years - they expand, at best, at a tenth the speed of light. So, I see two explanations.

Either that interstellar mass really has been expanding for millions of years

or

God made the universe with supernova remnants...from supernovae that never actually happened...from stars that never actually existed.

Again, not a cosmologist, so someone with more expertise can correct me, but I think Occam's Razor favors the former.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
1. Young sample does not always have that problem.

And what happenes? They are shown to have young ages.

For example, Dalrymple and Krummenacher tested 45 lava flows from recorded history using Ar/Ar dating. The worst deviation was a flow from Mt. Etna that dated to 250,000 years old. Others were dead on, such as the Mt. Vesuvius flow.
Radiometric Dating Does Work! | NCSE

None of them dated to hundreds of millions. All of them dated to the extreme bottom of the range for that technique.

• Informative
Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I had mentioned that there was a potential nitpick that someone might point out, but I think I've given it enough time.

If you compare the graphs that I made with the one done with real data, you will notice that the actual isochron does not have a data point on the Y-intercept.

This is because, in my teaching model, the y-intercept had a data point representing a mineral which excluded Rubidium entirely. This was a hypothetical data point to illustrate that the y-intercept represents the concentrations of Sr87:Sr86 before any radioactivity had occurred, and hence represents the location of the flat line of a newly formed rock.

In reality, in the unlikely event that there was a rock which measured some level of Sr87, but no Rb87, it would not be used as a sample, because the Rubidium could have decayed away at some random time in the rock's history, and it would not fall on the y-intercept, or the isochron line at all, for that reason.

So, when we create an isochron, the line created by the real data points is extended to the y-intercept, where a rock with no initial Rubidium would be, if it formed at the same time as the other samples.

And this tells us what the initial concentration of Sr87:Sr86 was.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
One more kick at the Apparent Age thing, and I'll call it a night.

http://static.bbc.co.uk/universe/img/ic/640/sights/supernovae/supernovae_large.jpg

This is a supernova remnant, ED. When stars die, they send out interstellar mass all over the place, and they look quite pretty.

I'm not good at cosmology, I'll admit, but the first problem that occurs to me is that God apparently made the universe with stars that were already in the process of dying, which seems a bit odd. But I think it's even worse than that really.

The supernova remnants span millions and millions of lightyears. There's no way they got that far out in 6,000 years - they expand, at best, at a tenth the speed of light. So, I see two explanations.

Either that interstellar mass really has been expanding for millions of years

or

God made the universe with supernova remnants...from supernovae that never actually happened...from stars that never actually existed.

Again, not a cosmologist, so someone with more expertise can correct me, but I think Occam's Razor favors the former.

If God is willing to deceive us in the creation, why wouldn't he do the same in the Bible? That is the real problem that the Omphalos hypothesis poses. If we can't trust the creation to tell us the truth, why should we trust the Bible?

Upvote 0

EternalDragon

Counselor
Jul 31, 2013
✟21,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It's worse than this: if ED's contention is correct, that the ages of the rocks are simply maturity, then he has to admit that the FOSSILS were planted there as "maturity" as well. Because there are rocks that date to millions of years old which COVER the fossils.

And there is a crater in mexico that demonstrates HISTORY, not maturity, which dates to 65 million years ago. It's an EVENT which happened 65 million years ago. It would be like Adam having a healed broken bone which he never experienced. Or a scar from an injury which never actually happened.

If you go by the stated dates, yes. However the dates are incorrect. They are assumed.

Upvote 0

EternalDragon

Counselor
Jul 31, 2013
✟21,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
You could go look at the huge crater with your own eyes.

And I would see a crater hole. That is evidence that the earth took a hit at some point. I would guess at the start of Noah's flood since it is dated to those sediment layers that formed during the flood.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
I would guess at the start of Noah's flood since it is dated to those sediment layers that formed during the flood.

No, it isn't dated to those layers.

And it's not the only crater, either. There are others. Many others. That one isn't even the biggest, by a large margin.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
I would guess at the start of Noah's flood since it is dated to those sediment layers that formed during the flood.

One more thing, now that I really think about it - that is one crazy coincidence you're proposing. Ignoring, for a moment, all the other massive impact craters we know about, it's a little weird that, of all the times this meteor could have hit, it would land RIGHT BEFORE THE FLOOD. Meteors of that size are quite rare, and they've never hit the Earth in all of recorded history.

I'm guessing you would say that God was behind it, but that seems a bit weird - the Bible makes no mention of any such thing, and it would be pointless, anyway, since the Flood by itself would have done a fine job killing everything on land. Why smack the Earth with a meteor?

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
And I would see a crater hole. That is evidence that the earth took a hit at some point. I would guess at the start of Noah's flood since it is dated to those sediment layers that formed during the flood.

You would guess? And you accuse us of making assumptions?

When the meteor struck, it melted the crust of the Earth and threw it up in the air. While in the air, the melted crust cooled and solidified, creating globs of rock called tektites.

Tektite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When the tektites were molten, argon boils out of the molten rock. However, there is potassium in those tektites, including the radioactive isotope potassium-40 which decays into argon. In the solidified rock, any argon that is formed from the decay of potassium stays in the solidified rock. Therefore, the argon we find in tektites is from the decay of potassium-40.

When we look at the tektites associated with the Chicxulub impact from all around the US, South America, Mexico, and the Carribiean, they all have the same K/Ar date of ~65 million years. That is how we know that the impact happened 65 million years ago, because the evidence produced by the impact, the tektites, allow us to date the impact. Here is a chart showing the results:

20_3radiometric-f3.jpg

Radiometric Dating Does Work! | NCSE

How do you explain this data?

• Winner
Upvote 0

AECellini

Aug 2, 2012
✟15,493.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

so you would prefer imprecise and mythological guesswork to supposed scientific "guesswork."

it's funny because one involves actual work to figure out what is really happening and what has happened.

Upvote 0