Tackling the "assumptions" of radiometric dating...part 1.

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok, so this is the first of a three part series, tackling the "big 3 assumptions" that are often cited as "evidence" against radiometric dating. Those 3 assumptions are:

1. Scientists assume the initial quantities of parent and daughter isotopes
2. Scientists assume the rock being tested has remained a closed system
3. Scientists assume that radioisotopes have decayed at a constant rate

This is kind of a rough draft, and I will be editing it, as people point out mistakes. But I think you'll get the idea.

This first thread will be dealing with number 1.
It is important to note, that the creationists who have spent the most time and money researching radiometric dating techniques...the so called "R.A.T.E." team...does not argue in favor of assumptions 1 and 2, because they are, indeed, not assumptions that scientists make; a point which R.A.T.E. agrees with--they are not assumptions. They have focused their attention on number 3, which we will get to in part 3 of this series.

When radiometric dating was first being developed, Assumption #1 did play a roll. Scientists observed that zircons rejected lead up until their closure temperature, so it was assumed that any lead in the zircon was from radioactive decay. Likewise, scientists observed that argon gas would diffuse from lava until it reached closure temperature, so it was assumed that any argon in the rock would be from radioactive decay.

This is the origin of the claim that creationists make.

However, since then, we have developed techniques which compensate for these assumptions, and indeed, help us to actually determine the very small amounts of initial daughter product in the sample.

The K/Ar assumption was compensated for by a method called step heating, which instead looked at the ratio between Ar40 and Ar39, instead of K40 and Ar39. The data from this method is plotted on a graph called an age spectrum.

The U/Pb assumption is compensated for by a couple of different methods which I am currently studying.

The one we will be looking at, however, is the compensation for the assumption in the Rb/Sr method. This method accounts for the initial quantity of Sr using a method called the isochron method. The isochron method can also be used for the other two systems I mentioned, but is not the preferred graph for those methods.

Rubidium-87 decays to Strontium-87 through beta decay at a 1 to 1 ratio. i.e., one atom of Rb87 decays to form one atom of Sr87 (plus an emitted beta particle, which is what radiation is).

Strontium-86 is a stable isotope of Sr, so it is used to compare the change in levels of Rb87 and Sr87 as decay occurs, by comparing the ratios of each.

For example: Say the current ratio of Rb87:Sr86 is 10:1, and the current ratio of Sr87:Sr86 is 3:1. After a certain amount of time, some Rb87 will decay. Since Sr86 is stable, it's concentration in the sample will not change. So, the new ratio of Rb87:Sr86 will decrease to, say, 9:1.

Since Rb87 decays into Sr87 at a one to one ratio, the new ratio of Sr87:Sr86 would be higher, so 4:1.

So as the ratio of Rb87:Sr86 decreases through decay, the ratio of Sr87:Sr86 increases at the same rate.

The next thing to know is what scientists mean by "resetting the radiometric clock."

When rock is melted into lava, all the elements that were trapped in minerals get mixed together. This is called homogenization. When the lava cools, and new minerals form, some of them, because of their chemical properties, will incorporate Rubidium better than Strontium, and some will incorporate Strontium better than Rubidium. So when you take samples of these new minerals, you will have different ratios of Rubidium-87:Strontium-86.

However, since Strontium-87 is so chemically similar to Strontium-86, all the newly formed minerals will have the same ratio of Sr87:Sr86, since the minerals do not prefer one over the other, like they do with Rb87:Sr86. This is important, as you will see shortly.

The previous two paragraphs can be, and have been, observed by measuring current ratios in newly formed rock.

Here is a graph that plots a hypothetical sampling shortly after lava rock cools. Say, from the current lava flow in Hawaii. The numbers are not pulled from any actual data, I’m simply labeling arbitrary ratios for ease of demonstration.

16atf2o.jpg

I would like you to notice a couple things:
1. the ratio of Rb87:Sr86 is on the x-axis, and the ratio of Sr87:Sr86 is on the y-axis.
2. Sample A is a hypothetical mineral which completely rejects Rubidium.
3. Because the Sr87:Sr86 ratio is the same in all the minerals (A through D), due to homogenization while in the lava state, the graph forms a flat line, with the x value representing the amount of Rubidium across the 4 minerals.

Ok, now suppose one Rubidium half –life from now (yes, I know the Rb half-life is billions of years; bear with me, I’m just trying to make the graph easy to produce and read) we re-measure minerals from the same rock sample. We get a new graph which looks like this:
jzfhab.jpg

This is what I want you to notice on this graph:
1. So now, hypothetically, we have both graphs. The initial quantities and the quantities one half life later
2. For every sample, the decrease (decay) in Rb87 is equal to the same increase in Sr87
3. The new graph still plots on a line, but now it has slope
4. Sample A and (delta)A are at the same point. Why? Since that sample had no Rb87 in it, there is nothing to decay into Sr87. One half-life later, there is still no Rb87, and since Sr87 has therefore not increased, the ratio Sr87:Sr86 remains the same.

Ok, so what does this mean? Well, let’s look at this next graph, which represents what the future scientists will see, if they had lost the data from our current measurements of the Hawaii flow. In other words, this is what the graph looks like to US when we date old rocks:

24cbjmf.png

Can you see how we determine what the initial concentration of Sr87 was? Since sample (delta)A had no Rubidium in it to begin with, the Sr87 concentration never changed. In other words it is the same as the initial concentration.

Therefore, the y-intercept represents the initial concentration of Sr87.

Now lets look at a graph with real, measured data:

23h4ml4.jpg

Figure 3: Rb-Sr isochron for the meteorite Juvinas. The points represent analyses on glass, tridymite and quartz, pyroxene, total rock, and plagioclase. After Faure (49). Data from Allegre and others (3).

Since we now know that the y-intercept represents the initial Sr87 concentration, we know that the initial ratio in this example was .69898 +/- .00005.

And THAT is why we NO LONGER assume the initial quantities. We don't even need them to be zero.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Astrophile

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Bump...for ED and anya...

Lesson 1 always looks solid. That is because it is quite limited in view.

The more you know it, the weaker it becomes. How many lessons do you know? A geochronology course has at least 10 lessons. Care to introduce a problem it may encounter?

Upvote 0

Seipai

Jan 20, 2014
✟1,266.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

The more you know it, the weaker it becomes. How many lessons do you know? A geochronology course has at least 10 lessons. Care to introduce a problem it may encounter?

How so? What weaknesses can you find in radiometric dating?

No PRATT's please.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

Perhaps you could introduce these supposed problems?

How many courses on isochron dating have you taken?

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The point of the lesson was to show that scientists do not assume, nor even require, a zero initial daughter quantity, not that there are zero problems that scientists have to deal with for the isochron method. Do you deny that I have shown this?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The point of the lesson was to show that scientists do not assume, nor even require, a zero initial daughter quantity, not that there are zero problems that scientists have to deal with for the isochron method. Do you deny that I have shown this?

All you said is in the lesson 1 of geochronology. I do agree.

But there is no point to use the stuff in lesson 1 of a system to show the system is sound and valid. Initial daughter content is a serious problem to many cases.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps you could introduce these supposed problems?

How many courses on isochron dating have you taken?

One course, one semester.
Should one take more than that?
Ignorant question. (find me a curriculum which offers geochron I and geochron II, will you?)

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Still waiting to hear what these supposed problems are.

Case specific problems are very common. The reason is the inherited flaw of the method. For example, the initial daughter content is a major source of problems. Users would have to live with the uncertainty.

I think this might not be the answer you like to see. But that is a proper answer to your level.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Case specific problems are very common. The reason is the inherited flaw of the method. For example, the initial daughter content is a major source of problems.

Case specific problems, you claim...

An inherited flaw of the method, you claim...

Then you say "For example..."

And fail to give an example. You merely repeated the claim.

WHAT is the inherited flaw?

HOW is initial daughter a major source of problems?

Users would have to live with the uncertainty.

And your readers have to live with the uncertainty of what it is you are claiming, as you refuse to be anything but vague. You do this because you know that if you are specific you are likely to be proven wrong. If you remain vague, you can still potentially talk your way out of it, by claiming that is not what you meant, and we are too ignorant/stupid to understand.

Man up. Give us specifics, so we can actually have an intellectual discussion.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Ok, so this is the first of a three part series, tackling the "big 3 assumptions" that are often cited as "evidence" against radiometric dating. Those 3 assumptions are:

1. Scientists assume the initial quantities of parent and daughter isotopes
2. Scientists assume the rock being tested has remained a closed system
3. Scientists assume that radioisotopes have decayed at a constant rate

This is kind of a rough draft, and I will be editing it, as people point out mistakes. But I think you'll get the idea.

This first thread will be dealing with number 1.
It is important to note, that the creationists who have spent the most time and money researching radiometric dating techniques...the so called "R.A.T.E." team...does not argue in favor of assumptions 1 and 2, because they are, indeed, not assumptions that scientists make; a point which R.A.T.E. agrees with--they are not assumptions. They have focused their attention on number 3, which we will get to in part 3 of this series.

When radiometric dating was first being developed, Assumption #1 did play a roll. Scientists observed that zircons rejected lead up until their closure temperature, so it was assumed that any lead in the zircon was from radioactive decay. Likewise, scientists observed that argon gas would diffuse from lava until it reached closure temperature, so it was assumed that any argon in the rock would be from radioactive decay.

This is the origin of the claim that creationists make.

However, since then, we have developed techniques which compensate for these assumptions, and indeed, help us to actually determine the very small amounts of initial daughter product in the sample.

The K/Ar assumption was compensated for by a method called step heating, which instead looked at the ratio between Ar40 and Ar39, instead of K40 and Ar39. The data from this method is plotted on a graph called an age spectrum.

The U/Pb assumption is compensated for by a couple of different methods which I am currently studying.

The one we will be looking at, however, is the compensation for the assumption in the Rb/Sr method. This method accounts for the initial quantity of Sr using a method called the isochron method. The isochron method can also be used for the other two systems I mentioned, but is not the preferred graph for those methods.

Rubidium-87 decays to Strontium-87 through beta decay at a 1 to 1 ratio. i.e., one atom of Rb87 decays to form one atom of Sr87 (plus an emitted beta particle, which is what radiation is).

Strontium-86 is a stable isotope of Sr, so it is used to compare the change in levels of Rb87 and Sr87 as decay occurs, by comparing the ratios of each.

For example: Say the current ratio of Rb87:Sr86 is 10:1, and the current ratio of Sr87:Sr86 is 3:1. After a certain amount of time, some Rb87 will decay. Since Sr86 is stable, it's concentration in the sample will not change. So, the new ratio of Rb87:Sr86 will decrease to, say, 9:1.

Since Rb87 decays into Sr87 at a one to one ratio, the new ratio of Sr87:Sr86 would be higher, so 4:1.

So as the ratio of Rb87:Sr86 decreases through decay, the ratio of Sr87:Sr86 increases at the same rate.

The next thing to know is what scientists mean by "resetting the radiometric clock."

When rock is melted into lava, all the elements that were trapped in minerals get mixed together. This is called homogenization. When the lava cools, and new minerals form, some of them, because of their chemical properties, will incorporate Rubidium better than Strontium, and some will incorporate Strontium better than Rubidium. So when you take samples of these new minerals, you will have different ratios of Rubidium-87:Strontium-86.

However, since Strontium-87 is so chemically similar to Strontium-86, all the newly formed minerals will have the same ratio of Sr87:Sr86, since the minerals do not prefer one over the other, like they do with Rb87:Sr86. This is important, as you will see shortly.

The previous two paragraphs can be, and have been, observed by measuring current ratios in newly formed rock.

Here is a graph that plots a hypothetical sampling shortly after lava rock cools. Say, from the current lava flow in Hawaii. The numbers are not pulled from any actual data, I’m simply labeling arbitrary ratios for ease of demonstration.

16atf2o.jpg

I would like you to notice a couple things:
1. the ratio of Rb87:Sr86 is on the x-axis, and the ratio of Sr87:Sr86 is on the y-axis.
2. Sample A is a hypothetical mineral which completely rejects Rubidium.
3. Because the Sr87:Sr86 ratio is the same in all the minerals (A through D), due to homogenization while in the lava state, the graph forms a flat line, with the x value representing the amount of Rubidium across the 4 minerals.

Ok, now suppose one Rubidium half –life from now (yes, I know the Rb half-life is billions of years; bear with me, I’m just trying to make the graph easy to produce and read) we re-measure minerals from the same rock sample. We get a new graph which looks like this:
jzfhab.jpg

This is what I want you to notice on this graph:
1. So now, hypothetically, we have both graphs. The initial quantities and the quantities one half life later
2. For every sample, the decrease (decay) in Rb87 is equal to the same increase in Sr87
3. The new graph still plots on a line, but now it has slope
4. Sample A and (delta)A are at the same point. Why? Since that sample had no Rb87 in it, there is nothing to decay into Sr87. One half-life later, there is still no Rb87, and since Sr87 has therefore not increased, the ratio Sr87:Sr86 remains the same.

Ok, so what does this mean? Well, let’s look at this next graph, which represents what the future scientists will see, if they had lost the data from our current measurements of the Hawaii flow. In other words, this is what the graph looks like to US when we date old rocks:

24cbjmf.png

Can you see how we determine what the initial concentration of Sr87 was? Since sample (delta)A had no Rubidium in it to begin with, the Sr87 concentration never changed. In other words it is the same as the initial concentration.

Therefore, the y-intercept represents the initial concentration of Sr87.

Now lets look at a graph with real, measured data:

23h4ml4.jpg

Figure 3: Rb-Sr isochron for the meteorite Juvinas. The points represent analyses on glass, tridymite and quartz, pyroxene, total rock, and plagioclase. After Faure (49). Data from Allegre and others (3).

Since we now know that the y-intercept represents the initial Sr87 concentration, we know that the initial ratio in this example was .69898 +/- .00005.

And THAT is why we NO LONGER assume the initial quantities. We don't even need them to be zero.

One point it seems you left out is that you now have multiple samples all of which should fall on a line. If there is some confounding situation like sitting next to a radiation source it would be expected to act in a way that would disrupt that line. In sort there is an unexpected situation detector.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One point it seems you left out is that you now have multiple samples all of which should fall on a line. If there is some confounding situation like sitting next to a radiation source it would be expected to act in a way that would disrupt that line. In sort there is an unexpected situation detector.

Yes, I'll be talking about that in part 2, since it has to do with the 2nd "assumption" that the system has remained closed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Case specific problems are very common. The reason is the inherited flaw of the method. For example, the initial daughter content is a major source of problems. Users would have to live with the uncertainty.

If you use an isochron methodology you can measure the amount of daughter product that was there at the beginning. It isn't a problem.

There are also systems which exclude the daughter product, such as U/Pb dating of zircons. When zircons form they exclude Pb and include U. We know from chemistry that there is very little, if any, daughter product in zircons when they form.

I think this might not be the answer you like to see. But that is a proper answer to your level.

Perhaps you could actually give an answer.

• Informative
Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you use an isochron methodology you can measure the amount of daughter product that was there at the beginning. It isn't a problem.

There are also systems which exclude the daughter product, such as U/Pb dating of zircons. When zircons form they exclude Pb and include U. We know from chemistry that there is very little, if any, daughter product in zircons when they form.

Perhaps you could actually give an answer.

The U/Pb method is actually the premier radiometric method in use, and that chemical exclusion is a big reason why. Another is because the decay constant of U is known more precisely, to within well less than 1%.

The exclusion is so profound, actually, that when they test for initial (or common) lead concentrations, it is as a secondary test, simply to improve precision. The amount that the age is changed because of initial quantities in that method is minuscule.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

What scientists do when they are bored:

1. Combine firefly genes with mice to make glowing mice

2. Poke holes in various theories