Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
Roald said:
So, I was reading the thread about your new name and came accross the phrase "Table Talk". It seems like an inside joke. What's it refer to? (Or is this a super-secret Lutheran thing...)

Thanx:)

It's a super secret Lutheran thing. Sorry.

Pax Christi,

ChiRho

Upvote 0

theologia crucis

evangelical apostolic orthodox catholic
Oct 31, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟8,548.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Roald, from ~1530 until his death, Luther and family had a lot of folks stay at his house in Wittenberg. Some were distinguished foreigners, some were students, some travellers, etc.

Anyway, at dinner, they would talk (Luther, his family, and the guests). Students started transcribing what Luther said, and after his death in 1546, many of those notes were gathered together and published in a book called "Table Talk". There's over 5,000 entries in it. He talked about all sorts of varied things, from the profound to the mundane.

Here's one link: http://www.ccel.org/l/luther/table_talk/table_talk.htm

Anyway, someone can probably explain it better than I have, but I've got to hit the road and go to my elders meeting...

Upvote 0

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to add a sacrament, Unction--but not the way the RCC church does it, just before death only. James speaks about elders annointing the sick and healing them. The only reason I can see that Lutherans do not have this as a sacrament is because of our definition of a sacrament, unction was not "instituted by Christ" (although surely he did plenty of healing?). There are words (prayer) and means (oil), though. It's just on my wishlist....

Coffes is good, too! :D ----R

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradford

Fool on the Hill
May 5, 2004
✟29,708.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Luthers Rose said:
I'd like to add a sacrament, Unction--but not the way the RCC church does it, just before death only. James speaks about elders annointing the sick and healing them. The only reason I can see that Lutherans do not have this as a sacrament is because of our definition of a sacrament, unction was not "instituted by Christ" (although surely he did plenty of healing?). There are words (prayer) and means (oil), though. It's just on my wishlist....

That one sounds good to me...

In fact, the only of the Seven, I think should be out, is Confirmation... But... that's another thread...

Upvote 0

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Luthers Rose said:

It also lacks the command of Christ, I think it is a good Rite but we would have to redefine sacrament to make it one.

-James

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.