• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

*T - EA* My Story

SoC

Soldier of Christ
Jul 15, 2004
WA, USA
Visit site
✟9,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I thought I should post a little about myself and why I'm here.

I've been married for almost two years (give me another two weeks and the "almost" can go away). Even before meeting my wife, I would have told you I was a momma's boy. I knew it. I didn't know she, my mother, was abusive and had been for a very long time.

My father is not a very emotional man. He's very closed off and not just to me. He's also very closed off to his wife. She needed the emotional connection and since her husband wasn't providing it, she turned to me. This created an inappropriate bond between us that she used to control me.

At one point, she had turned me against her husband to the point that I was ready to kick him out. The next day she told me that she shouldn't have told me what she had told me to set me off like that and made me feel like crap for feeling that way.

I never knew anything was wrong until I went to college for a year. I had an emotional breakdown just before finals because I didn't want to go home. I didn't realize why at the time, but now I believe it's because I experienced some freedom, some time away from my controlling parents and I didn't want to lose that freedom.

I found out months after going home that my father had planned on forcing my home, physically if necessary. Legally, it would have been kidnapping, since I was 18 at the time.

See, when I went top college, I was no longer under their control. I was able to actually feel freely, without having my emotions twisted, minimized and devalued. As they felt that control slipping away, they got more controlling.

Fast forward a few years to when I started dating (I was 21). My first relationship lasted 3 weeks. When it ended, I told my mother about it and I remember seeing a slight smile on her face when I did. I dismissed that as her being proud of how I was handling the rejection, but now I realize that was just wishful thinking.

When I met my wife I got a new job and had to move out of my parents house. Yes, I was 21 and living at home. Anyway, I moved in near where my wife lived which also was near my job. This was nearly two hours away from my parents.

Things were okay (a loose use of that word) until I proposed. During the engagement period is when I got the first inkling that something was wrong with my parents, but I dismissed it as them getting used to their son getting married. There were claims that they weren't allowed to help (even though we had asked them to help with specific things many times - they declined each time) and attempts to undermine my love for my fiancee (asking me if she was spending my money when we went shopping before I went on vacation with her and her family - technically this happened before I proposed, but it happened).

After we were married it only got worse. There were demands to see them that we couldn't fulfill because I had lost my job and insinuations that my wife was making all the decisions in our marriage (something that we have denied many times and they still believe).

When our son was born, things went from bad to worse. Two weeks after he was born was my birthday. My wife was dealing with postpartum depression and was not healing well so I wasn't able to go to my parents house for my birthday, as they had asked me to. I got a call from my mother who told me, through gritted teeth, that I would go down there and I wouldn't argue about it. I still didn't go because my wife comes before my parents (the whole leave and cleave thing).

The relationship with my parents spiraled downward from there. We canceled our plans to see them on Christmas, because they threw a fit when we wouldn't change our plans. We tried to make up with them right after the new year, but that only lasted until March.

After a nasty fight between myself and my wife, we did some searching to find out why I was so angry. It was then that we discovered that my mother was emotionally abusive. I didn't really accept it until a few days later when we surprised my mother for her birthday. It was the most awkward party I've ever been to and filled with passive aggressive comments and actions.

Then next day, we cut them off. We didn't speak to them again until about three weeks ago when we finally got an apology letter from my mother. We responded saying that we accepted the apology and were sorry for our part in the whole thing and laid out some boundaries for them to follow. Their response was an angry letter that we found out was almost copied out of a self-help book. A self-help book that blames all the in-law problems in a marriage on the daughter in law.

So now, I don't even like calling them my parents. I never want to see them again. They were destroying my marriage and trying to control me. I've lost friends to this. My best friend, whom they call their third son, and his wife have all but declared that they are on my parents side. A friend from my old church (my parents current one) threw scripture at us telling us that we needed to forgive them. My mother's sisters and my cousin have all sent nasty letters, phone calls, emails, etc telling us how we've hurt my parents and we need to forgive and forget (mind you, they were never part of the original problem - my mother cries to them about her problems with us and now her entire family hates my wife whom they have been told made the decision to cut them off).

I know hate is equal to murder, but I hate them for what they've done. If I am to be honest about my feelings, I have to admit that. My wife already had depression to deal with and now it's worse. I was turning into an angry man that might have escalated to beating my wife or son in a fit of rage. All because of the emotional abuse I suffered growing up. Yes, I know that what I do (even in anger) is my responsibility and had I beat them, I would be at fault. However, if I had not been abused, I would have known how to deal with my anger more appropriately and it wouldn't have been an issue.

I've been dealing with this for six months now. Throughout it all, I have tried not to speak out against my parents. I was trying not to air the family laundry, so to speak. Last night, after a letter from my aunt ripped it all open again, my wife and I discovered that that thinking is part of the abuse. Keeping silent about it is how it continues.

Now, I want to be through keeping silent. I want to speak out. I want everyone to know what my parents really are. I can't, yet. If I speak out, the backlash hits my wife, who they all think is behind us cutting them off. She's not ready to deal with the onslaught that would follow me publicly calling them out on their abuse. So now, I'm waiting until I can speak out. Doing what I can to speak out against abuse without naming names. I set up an anonymous blog where I am in the process of telling my story with the names changed. You can find it here (EA TRIGGER WARNING). Writing about it has helped me deal with the anger. I'm by no means perfect, but I don't get as angry and I don't get angry as often. I'm finally learning to deal with my emotions instead of walling myself up like I used to do. It is by no means easy, especially when I have no good examples to follow, but I'm working on it.

So that's my story, abbreviated though it may be.

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Hey SoC. :wave:

I grew up with abusive/controlling parents, too, and I know how difficult it is to break free from that. I'm really glad that you're aware now of how unhealthy your childhood/young adult relationship with your parents (specifically your mother) has been and are taking steps to find healing. I will be in prayer for you that you are able to come to terms with the situation - and use their example as a "what not to do" when it comes to your own marriage and parenting. :prayer:

There is a really good book titled Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend that is very helpful in figuring out boundaries with people who are toxic to our well-being. I would definitely recommend it. :)

Upvote 0

annrobert

Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought I should post a little about myself and why I'm here.

I've been married for almost two years (give me another two weeks and the "almost" can go away). Even before meeting my wife, I would have told you I was a momma's boy. I knew it. I didn't know she, my mother, was abusive and had been for a very long time.

My father is not a very emotional man. He's very closed off and not just to me. He's also very closed off to his wife. She needed the emotional connection and since her husband wasn't providing it, she turned to me. This created an inappropriate bond between us that she used to control me.

At one point, she had turned me against her husband to the point that I was ready to kick him out. The next day she told me that she shouldn't have told me what she had told me to set me off like that and made me feel like crap for feeling that way.

I never knew anything was wrong until I went to college for a year. I had an emotional breakdown just before finals because I didn't want to go home. I didn't realize why at the time, but now I believe it's because I experienced some freedom, some time away from my controlling parents and I didn't want to lose that freedom.

I found out months after going home that my father had planned on forcing my home, physically if necessary. Legally, it would have been kidnapping, since I was 18 at the time.

See, when I went top college, I was no longer under their control. I was able to actually feel freely, without having my emotions twisted, minimized and devalued. As they felt that control slipping away, they got more controlling.

Parents have to let their children go when they grow uo, this should be natural.

Fast forward a few years to when I started dating (I was 21). My first relationship lasted 3 weeks. When it ended, I told my mother about it and I remember seeing a slight smile on her face when I did. I dismissed that as her being proud of how I was handling the rejection, but now I realize that was just wishful thinking.

That is sad.

When I met my wife I got a new job and had to move out of my parents house. Yes, I was 21 and living at home. Anyway, I moved in near where my wife lived which also was near my job. This was nearly two hours away from my parents.

Things were okay (a loose use of that word) until I proposed. During the engagement period is when I got the first inkling that something was wrong with my parents, but I dismissed it as them getting used to their son getting married. There were claims that they weren't allowed to help

It is up to you who to ask to help.

(even though we had asked them to help with specific things many times - they declined each time) and attempts to undermine my love for my fiancee (asking me if she was spending my money when we went shopping before I went on vacation with her and her family - technically this happened before I proposed, but it happened).

It is up to you what you do with your money.

After we were married it only got worse. There were demands to see them that we couldn't fulfill because I had lost my job and insinuations that my wife was making all the decisions in our marriage (something that we have denied many times and they still believe).

It is up to you how often to visit,

When our son was born, things went from bad to worse. Two weeks after he was born was my birthday. My wife was dealing with postpartum depression and was not healing well so I wasn't able to go to my parents house for my birthday, as they had asked me to. I got a call from my mother who told me, through gritted teeth, that I would go down there and I wouldn't argue about it. I still didn't go because my wife comes before my parents (the whole leave and cleave thing).

Thats sounds harsh and controlling.People visit because of love and relationship , not force and demands.

The relationship with my parents spiraled downward from there. We canceled our plans to see them on Christmas, because they threw a fit when we wouldn't change our plans. We tried to make up with them right after the new year, but that only lasted until March.

They need to let you visit as you want and because of love and relationship.They need to accept that you are grown up and on your own now.They do not own you either.They need to stop fighting against your wife and to begin to love her as part of the family.

After a nasty fight between myself and my wife, we did some searching to find out why I was so angry. It was then that we discovered that my mother was emotionally abusive. I didn't really accept it until a few days later when we surprised my mother for her birthday. It was the most awkward party I've ever been to and filled with passive aggressive comments and actions.

That is sad.It sounds like she hates it that you are on your own and married.Sounds like she needs therapy.

Then next day, we cut them off. We didn't speak to them again until about three weeks ago when we finally got an apology letter from my mother. We responded saying that we accepted the apology and were sorry for our part in the whole thing and laid out some boundaries for them to follow. Their response was an angry letter that we found out was almost copied out of a self-help book. A self-help book that blames all the in-law problems in a marriage on the daughter in law.

Wow, it really really sounds like they need therapy.

So now, I don't even like calling them my parents. I never want to see them again. They were destroying my marriage and trying to control me. I've lost friends to this. My best friend, whom they call their third son, and his wife have all but declared that they are on my parents side. A friend from my old church (my parents current one) threw scripture at us telling us that we needed to forgive them. My mother's sisters and my cousin have all sent nasty letters, phone calls, emails, etc telling us how we've hurt my parents and we need to forgive and forget (mind you, they were never part of the original problem - my mother cries to them about her problems with us and now her entire family hates my wife whom they have been told made the decision to cut them off).

We do need to forgive.Jesus says to forgive over and over again.
Jesus says if we want forgiveness , we need to forgive from our heart.
However this does not mean that we need to coninue to let people hurt us.We can set up loving boundaries for protection.
It really sounds like your family needs to get some therapy and help on how to let you go and on how to accept and love your wife as part of the family now.It also sounds like they need to be counselled to stop causing division and strife and begin to allow freedom and love.Maybe leave the door open for reconciliation based on their getting help and putting genuine effort into allowing freedom and accepting and loving your wife.
And to stop causing division and strife.Until then protect yourself and your wife .Yet try not to hold onto anger and strife and unforgiveness, or bitterness.Jesus delights in mercy.Jesus wants us to forgive.

I know hate is equal to murder, but I hate them for what they've done. If I am to be honest about my feelings, I have to admit that. My wife already had depression to deal with and now it's worse. I was turning into an angry man that might have escalated to beating my wife or son in a fit of rage. All because of the emotional abuse I suffered growing up. Yes, I know that what I do (even in anger) is my responsibility and had I beat them, I would be at fault. However, if I had not been abused, I would have known how to deal with my anger more appropriately and it wouldn't have been an issue.

I am very sorry for all the hurt your family has caused you and your wife.

Jesus is the Way and the Truth and the Life.
So Jesus is the real example for us to have direction to do things His way.
Jesus is the Truth so we cannot be deceived into revenge or hatred and unforgiveness.
Jesus Way gives us life abundantly and leads un into paths of righteousness and peace.Still Waters not troubled waters.
We can do nothing of ourselves.We can only do it abiding in Jesus.Jesus gives us healing and rest.

Mathew 11
28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Luke 4:18
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

I've been dealing with this for six months now. Throughout it all, I have tried not to speak out against my parents. I was trying not to air the family laundry, so to speak. Last night, after a letter from my aunt ripped it all open again, my wife and I discovered that that thinking is part of the abuse. Keeping silent about it is how it continues.

Sometimes a person needs to vent and be validated and get support and encouragement and understanding and advice.It is normal.

Hebrews 4:16
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

1 Peter 5:7
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Now, I want to be through keeping silent. I want to speak out. I want everyone to know what my parents really are. I can't, yet. If I speak out, the backlash hits my wife, who they all think is behind us cutting them off. She's not ready to deal with the onslaught that would follow me publicly calling them out on their abuse. So now, I'm waiting until I can speak out. Doing what I can to speak out against abuse without naming names. I set up an anonymous blog where I am in the process of telling my story with the names changed. You can find it here (EA TRIGGER WARNING). Writing about it has helped me deal with the anger. I'm by no means perfect, but I don't get as angry and I don't get angry as often. I'm finally learning to deal with my emotions instead of walling myself up like I used to do. It is by no means easy, especially when I have no good examples to follow, but I'm working on it.

Are you and your wife getting help from a minister or godly counsellor to help you deal with this and to help you heal?It sounds like it has caused some deep wounds and hurts.It must have been so very painful for the both of you.I am sorry for what you both have gone through.

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11Give us this day our daily bread.
12And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

So that's my story, abbreviated though it may be.

Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Psalm 23

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

I hope you and you wife continue to heal and may God bless you with a rich and wonderful marriage and give you wisdom and understanding and peace and healing.Continue to protect yourself and your wife.

blessings
annrobert

Upvote 0

SoC

Soldier of Christ
Jul 15, 2004
WA, USA
Visit site
✟9,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That self-help book I mentioned, What Do You Want From Me? by Terri Apter, actually came from an aunt. She had given a copy to my parents, who read it and (according to her) liked it. It says things like there are 6 people in the marriage bed (husband, wife and 4 in-laws), men don't need top leave and cleave (because it's a myth that they should), that grandparents are a primary relationship for a child (and they would suffer without them), gave an example of a mother-in-law admitting that if she looked at her daughter-in-law long enough she would get the overwhelming urge to slap her, the daughter-in-law sets the boundaries for the in-laws (as opposed to the husband and wife doing so together - this was directly referenced in my mother's "apology"), and lays most the blame for the problems on the daughter-in-law (only a little blame fell to the mother-in-law, for stuff relating to adjusting to being a mother-in-law instead of intentional wrongs, and none on the son or anyone else) among many other things. And that was just the first two chapters. My wife read an article on Newsweek that lists 5 things that both sides (mother-in-law vs. daughter-in-law) do which basically lays all the responsibility for the relationship on the daughter-in-law. It should be noted that Terri Apter is herself a mother-in-law and we believe that her own problems with her daughter(s)-in-law may have prompted this book.

The book is not good at all and even worse for self-proclaimed Christians to actually like it enough to use it's tenets, as my parents have.

So why am I bringing this up? Because I just got a call from this aunt, asking if we got the book and her letter and that she would be sending something else that she found soon. In other words, we have a heads-up for an impending Flying Monkey attack. So I'm a on edge now.

Argh! Why can't she just leave us alone? Why can't they all?

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
That self-help book I mentioned, What Do You Want From Me? by Terri Apter, actually came from an aunt. She had given a copy to my parents, who read it and (according to her) liked it. It says things like there are 6 people in the marriage bed (husband, wife and 4 in-laws), men don't need top leave and cleave (because it's a myth that they should), that grandparents are a primary relationship for a child (and they would suffer without them), gave an example of a mother-in-law admitting that if she looked at her daughter-in-law long enough she would get the overwhelming urge to slap her, the daughter-in-law sets the boundaries for the in-laws (as opposed to the husband and wife doing so together - this was directly referenced in my mother's "apology"), and lays most the blame for the problems on the daughter-in-law (only a little blame fell to the mother-in-law, for stuff relating to adjusting to being a mother-in-law instead of intentional wrongs, and none on the son or anyone else) among many other things. And that was just the first two chapters. My wife read an article on Newsweek that lists 5 things that both sides (mother-in-law vs. daughter-in-law) do which basically lays all the responsibility for the relationship on the daughter-in-law. It should be noted that Terri Apter is herself a mother-in-law and we believe that her own problems with her daughter(s)-in-law may have prompted this book.

The book is not good at all and even worse for self-proclaimed Christians to actually like it enough to use it's tenets, as my parents have.

So why am I bringing this up? Because I just got a call from this aunt, asking if we got the book and her letter and that she would be sending something else that she found soon. In other words, we have a heads-up for an impending Flying Monkey attack. So I'm a on edge now.

They think they're being helpful. While their care and concern is commendable, it's misguided and misplaced. They won't leave you alone until you assert your boundaries with them about how involved you will allow them to be in your life. Asserting yourself carries some fall-out with it. They will get hurt/offended/angry and it will make you uncomfortable. But, until you draw a boundary with them and politely, but firmly, adhere to it, they will continue to inappropriately involve themselves.

Even with boundaries in place, I often find myself having to enforce them. It's not easy, but it's how I've been able to maintain some level of relationship with my parents. Some parents - the relationship is better off severed completely. Only you know where your parents (and aunt) fall as far as ability to maintain some sort of relationship or not.

:prayer: for you.

Upvote 0

annrobert

Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That book sounds horrible.It seems it is there to cause division and strife.
People who follow that book must be seriously in need of some straightening out.Please protect youself and your wife.You do not have to live with this kind of control and strife.Just try not to let bitterness or hate get in there.

So why am I bringing this up? Because I just got a call from this aunt, asking if we got the book and her letter and that she would be sending something else that she found soon.

Do not open the package return to sender.You do not have to subject yourself or your wife to this.Do not bother to read the letters.Screen all calls.Do not let them past the door.Do not let peoploe who cause division and strife to hurt you or your wife.Protect yourself with out letting anger or bitterness or unforgiveness in.Keep a soft heart and tender heart.Be open to reconciliation.But only after they get therapy and counselling by a therapist that you pick out and meet with first, if you think this could help.To begin the only time I would see them is at the therapists office.Then if they are willing to amend their ways , you could begin by seeing them at a coffee shop and see how that goes.If they go back to controling and hurting and causing division , I would again see them only with the therapist.Do not let them hurt and cause tension and strife.Relationship has to be by love and comfort , not force and demands and control and division.Just remember Jesus words to forgive from the heart.Be tender hearted and compassionate while setting strict boundaries.I am trying myself to learn how to set boundaries with love.If they continue to cause strife and be controlling refuse contact until they want to amend their ways.that is just what I think.I have been getting some very good help and advice on these forums,because I have some very strange relatives also.

In other words, we have a heads-up for an impending Flying Monkey attack. So I'm a on edge now.

I would just send all letters and packages back and refuse phone calls.They really sound like they have serious issues.

As hard as it is , I would put a stop to it before they can wound any more.AS long as it takes for them to begin to love and show kindness and stop the control and demands and division.Still forgiving and being soft in your heart.Being as wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove.

Upvote 0

SoC

Soldier of Christ
Jul 15, 2004
WA, USA
Visit site
✟9,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That book sounds horrible.It seems it is there to cause division and strife.
People who follow that book must be seriously in need of some straightening out.Please protect youself and your wife.You do not have to live with this kind of control and strife.Just try not to let bitterness or hate get in there.
The book is horrible. As I said, those things are all in the first two chapters. That was all we read before tossing it (which was only after a healthy amount of debate on whether or not to roast marshmallows over it on the grill out back).

As for protecting us, I've got that covered. I've cut off my own family (makes me sick to call them that) to protect us. As for the bitterness and hate, well it's a little late to stop them from getting in, so I'll have to settle for working them out. Though I daresay that both are completely natural and understandable responses toward my abusers.

...Protect yourself with out letting anger or bitterness or unforgiveness in.Keep a soft heart and tender heart.Be open to reconciliation.But only after they get therapy and counselling by a therapist that you pick out and meet with first, if you think this could help...
Two things:
1) There is nothing wrong with anger, especially given the circumstances. Bitterness and unforgiveness I can see reasons for keeping out, but if I was to keep anger out, I'd become the emotionless (insert word here) that my father is. Anger is a perfectly healthy emotion that even Jesus displayed. The Bible does not say, don't be angry, instead it says to not sin in your anger.
2) Why should I be open to reconciliation? These people abused me and my wife for crying out loud! No, the best they can hope for from me is forgiveness and that will take some time. There will be no reconciliation, no relationship. You keep saying to protect me and my wife and that is the best way to protect us from them.
I would just send all letters and packages back and refuse phone calls.They really sound like they have serious issues.
We already don't take their calls and delete their emails. The phone call from my aunt, I didn't pick up since I didn't recognize the number. I only heard her voicemail. Packages we just throw away. We are a black hole. Communications go in, but nothing comes out.

As hard as it is , I would put a stop to it before they can wound any more.AS long as it takes for them to begin to love and show kindness and stop the control and demands and division.Still forgiving and being soft in your heart.Being as wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove.
As I stated before, they will not be wounding us anymore. No contact, no relationship. Even if there were a miracle right now and they truly repented, I would still not want a relationship with them. I will forgive them, eventually, but they've shattered the trust I had in them too many times and they will not get another chance.

flvnativegrl: Thank you for the prayers. The problem with just setting boundaries is that most of my extended family have no idea what to do with them. The ones that have contacted us about the "issues" we are having with my parents have been told to stay out, but they don't stay out of it, so we don't talk to them now. We basically do not talk to most of my extended family because they've all taken my parents' side in this, choosing to believe what my mother says about us. And as I've said before, there is no relationship with my parents anymore, nor will there be in the future.

Upvote 0

dariya

May 27, 2009
Skopje, Macedonia
✟7,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good for you that you understand the situation. That kind of abuse is nightmare for you and now for your family.
It's normal for you to put boundaries to protect you and your family. You have responsibility to protect your wife and son. I know how much is all this situation difficult for you. But you must be brave. God will give you everything that you need to overcome this situation.
No mather how many emails have from your parents, relatives or others, God is on your side !!!
Forgiveness is about you and God...when you will be ready to forgive to your parents. But that is not mean that you will communicate with them again.
My parents are the same,and to fulfill the story I married the gay with the same parents like mine. I was in hell during that marriage ( we lived in laws). I was mentally and psychically abused from in laws, specially from my mother in law ( I was her "slave") . I couldn't stay anymore, and I return to my parents house. And I was in the hell no 2, again with my parents now again...they took everyhting that I had (possessions) and to be worse gossip me that everything was my fault, insultings, lots of things. Abuse, abuse, abuse......
But, this experience wake me up..what my parents did to me over this years. What kind of people they are.
I know what kind of experience you have and I know how much is unbelievable painfull , confusing (how they can do this?) .
Your story is good because you recognize that abuse and you wonted to be free, normal man...
God bless you and be brave

Upvote 0

dariya

May 27, 2009
Skopje, Macedonia
✟7,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good for you that you understand the situation. That kind of abuse is nightmare for you and now for your family.
It's normal for you to put boundaries to protect you and your family. You have responsibility to protect your wife and son. I know how much is all this situation difficult for you. But you must be brave. God will give you everything that you need to overcome this situation.
No mather how many emails have from your parents, relatives or others, God is on your side !!!
Forgiveness is about you and God...when you will be ready to forgive to your parents. But that is not mean that you will communicate with them again.
My parents are the same,and to fulfill the story I married the gay with the same parents like mine. I was in hell during that marriage ( we lived in laws). I was mentally and psychically abused from in laws, specially from my mother in law ( I was her "slave") . I couldn't stay anymore, and I return to my parents house. And I was in the hell no 2, again with my parents now again...they took everyhting that I had (possessions) and to be worse gossip me that everything was my fault, insultings, lots of things. Abuse, abuse, abuse......
But, this experience wake me up..what my parents did to me over this years. What kind of people they are.
I know what kind of experience you have and I know how much is unbelievable painfull , confusing (how they can do this?) .
Your story is good because you recognize that abuse and you wonted to be free, normal man...
God bless you and be brave

Upvote 0