Symbols in Judaism versus Icons in Christianity. What is the difference... ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Judaism has many symbols, the most ancient symbol of Judaism is the menorah.
A mezzuzah, which is usually mounted on the entrance of a doorway, is touched, then the fingers that touched it are kissed.

Its also popular for jews to wear a red string around their wrists which has been blessed at a holy persons grave as an amulet.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
a link to some of the 'pictures' in the Synagogue of Dura-Europos

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/syria/dura-europos-pictures/

(note the similarity of the portrayal of Abraham's hands -- covered -- to Christian Iconography)
syria.gif
Photo Gallery: Dura Europos

Back to Photo Gallery | Back to Article | View Larger | Previous | Next

Did you mean this one?

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Some say the red string is to ward off the evil eye. The red string has been made popular in recent years because the singer Madonna always wears one since her interest in kabbalah.

Another group of amulets which both jews and muslims refer to as "hamsa" pendants (aka hamesh pendants) are basically to ward off the evil eye.

If you scroll down on the link it gives a description of these hamsa pendants and that judaism seem to view the evil eye the same way Orthodoxy views it.

Judaism 101: Signs and Symbols

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes we do but we do not wear the "eye" as it is pagan istead we use the Cross... like ... the Jews whould use the star of David??? I guess... I know about Madonna I was wondering if anyone was going to bring it up....lol....
The Star of David is a recent jewish symbol, if it wasnt for ww2 where jews were forced to wear the star of david to identify themselves with, it may not be recognized as an exclusive jewish symbol today.

If i remember correctly it was first used by Czech jews in Prague in the 14th century, then sporadically began spreading to other jewish communities in eastern europe. Most historians believe that it became popular among the jews for the very fact that it wasnt recognized as a religious symbol by anyone, thus they can freely use it without any stigma attached to it.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is still a Symbol though and symbols can be seen as idols... The Torah is specific you know.... NO Symbols no idols.. nothing... Because if symbolizes Israel and israel is also a religious state it is thus a religious symbol...not only a secular... Just because they started using it then that does not mean they do not use it as a religious symbol today. I know that "their" case is different as being a Jew is part of your "secular" idendity that it is one and the same....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I went over to the protestant judaizer forum to see what the fuss was about. Typical fundamentalism, taking the pentateuch literally unless it doesnt agree with them.

If they feel so strongly against images, then they should not own computers or televisions, or painting or cameras or magazines or dolls afterall it clearly violates Deuteronomy 4.16-19 which says that practically all images regardless of intent are idolatrous.

The hippocrisy of the Saduccees are still alive i see.

Reactions: Ivy
Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow. I am saddened by the last response.
I am not a typical member of the Messianic forum, so my reply may not represent their views. I was raised in Reform Judaism and now meet with a local church in the Lord's Recovery.
I am not familiar with the pictures posted in the second post.
As far as I know, Judaism does not endorse images of God or praying to images or statues.
The mezzuzah, which was mentioned here and in the other thread, is a little box with a scroll in it that contains part of the words of the Bible in it - from what ya'll call the old testament. It is a custom to kiss one's finger and touch it as one passes through the door way that it is nailed to. The mezzuzah itself is biblical - from Deut. ch 6 I believe thou shalt write them on the doorposts of thy house and upon thy gates. Referring to the words of the Lord. So, kissing one's finger and touching it shows respect and reverence towards the word of God. It is not praying to the mezzuzah or even praying to God through the mezzuzah.

In the Jewish religion there is not much of a concept of the afterlife. There is also no concept of praying to anyone but the one and only God.

Photos and statues are fine as long as they are not prayed to or seen as photos or statues of God Himself.
The word Image in the Bible always refers to things that were prayed to and that was the problem that was addressed in the Bible.

Therefore, the Jewish religion has no problem with photographs, paintings and statues.
The Jewish religion has a problem or issue with praying to anything besides God Himself.

I personally thought that Christians were brainwashed less than intelligent people who were wrong because I thought that they were praying to three gods - a father, son and ghost and also because they prayed to statues and paintings and ink blots and stains on underpasses of roadways and on doors and burnt parts of toast that they thought looked like the virgin Mary etc...

And the Lord saved me and I am now a born again Christian.
And sorry , but I still think the people who pray to toast are less than intelligent although I believe they still may be brothers and sisters in Christ because He is not a respector of persons and He saves the idiots as well as the intelligent and He even saved me and we don't have to be geniuses and understand everything to be saved - thank God.

However, I do not believe that the Lord wants us to pray to images on toast or canvas or wood or anything else - He wants us to pray to Him and to Him only.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Wow. I am saddened by the last response.
I am not a typical member of the Messianic forum, so my reply may not represent their views. I was raised in Reform Judaism and now meet with a local church in the Lord's Recovery.

First, welcome ! Thank-you so much for coming; may God bless our discussion.
I am not familiar with the pictures posted in the second post.
As far as I know, Judaism does not endorse images of God or praying to images or statues.

the EO does not endorse images of God the Father, depictions of the Holy Spirit with the exception of the Baptism (dove) and Pentecost (tongues of flame); also, praying to the actual object is not endorsed. see below
The mezzuzah, which was mentioned here and in the other thread, is a little box with a scroll in it that contains part of the words of the Bible in it - from what ya'll call the old testament. It is a custom to kiss one's finger and touch it as one passes through the door way that it is nailed to. The mezzuzah itself is biblical - from Deut. ch 6 I believe thou shalt write them on the doorposts of thy house and upon thy gates. Referring to the words of the Lord. So, kissing one's finger and touching it shows respect and reverence towards the word of God. It is not praying to the mezzuzah or even praying to God through the mezzuzah.

this is exactly what we do with the Gospel and icons -- our kissing is a show of reverence; further, the icons of the Saints are visual records of the victory of Christ.

In the Jewish religion there is not much of a concept of the afterlife. There is also no concept of praying to anyone but the one and only God.

this is a problem with translation; throughout the NT, several words
(8 or so ?) are typically translated as prayer. There is prayer - to God, versus vow, request, ask etc. We tend to keep the older English usage of the word pray -- which meant both pray to God and ask (applied to anyone)

Photos and statues are fine as long as they are not prayed to or seen as photos or statues of God Himself.
The word Image in the Bible always refers to things that were prayed to and that was the problem that was addressed in the Bible.

we do have icons of Christ; again, we can only portray in icons what has been seen. (the concept of see and pass on is covered somewhat in one of the epistles of John, and is worth considering in this discussion). The rules governing the 'writing' of an icon are specialized; icons are highly symbolic and convey a teaching consistent with revelation and the Bible. The icon "witnesses" a teaching. They are "visual Talmud". We do not pray to an object, we express our affirmation/confession of agreement with what they convey.

Therefore, the Jewish religion has no problem with photographs, paintings and statues.
The Jewish religion has a problem or issue with praying to anything besides God Himself.

we certainly agree on this ! :) see above for clarification on pray

I personally thought that Christians were brainwashed less than intelligent people who were wrong because I thought that they were praying to three gods - a father, son and ghost and also because they prayed to statues and paintings and ink blots and stains on underpasses of roadways and on doors and burnt parts of toast that they thought looked like the virgin Mary etc...

you're a good sport to 'admit' this -- and frankly, it often looks that way. However, what is in the heart - our understanding, in EO - is quite different from what appears to be ...

And the Lord saved me and I am now a born again Christian.
And sorry , but I still think the people who pray to toast are less than intelligent although I believe they still may be brothers and sisters in Christ because He is not a respector of persons and He saves the idiots as well as the intelligent and He even saved me and we don't have to be geniuses and understand everything to be saved - thank God.

He indeed is merciful :amen:

However, I do not believe that the Lord wants us to pray to images on toast or canvas or wood or anything else - He wants us to pray to Him and to Him only.

again, if the proper NT terms are applied to what you say, we agree !
The problem can be getting a fuller understanding of the practice.

Thank-you again, you're a blessing !!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are the practices of modern times Messianic Jews and Judaism different that those of the Orthodox Jews? Also why is it different to kiss the Shema (Mezzuzah) or the Torah or an icon or the Cross? :doh:

Why do Jewish Temples have "symbols" then?:confused:
http://www.mazaltovpages.com/HTM_jewelry/jewelry.htm
http://www.mazaltovpages.com/HTM_rosh-hashanah/artscroll_rscards.htm
God bless,
Philothei

Thanks for bringing this up...

I'll make a couple of corrections, in humilty, just to try to help.

Jews don't kiss the Shema, we pray the Shema. It's the name of a prayer. "Shema" is the first word in the prayer "Hear oh Israel, Adonai is our God, Adonai is One" when prayed in Hebrew.

We kiss the Mezuzah, the Torah, our Tallit (prayer shawl), and other things. We have on an individual level more ritual than any Christian, except perhaps a Priest in an Orthodox liturgy. For example, at Pesach, we have over three hours of ritual to get through, touching on such things as which way to lean when we eat, how quickly to eat certain courses, what questions are asked and so forth. We also have many, many customs about a myriad of other things.

Also, when one reads the Talmud regarding the Temple services, there is so much ritual and artwork in the place that the mind is both boggled and fascinated. What's more, there is found a huge amount of things the priests did in the Temple that is still done by priests from the Apostolic traditions to this day.

Furthermore, the modern-day "Messianic" Jews are not necessarily Jews. They are largely Gentiles who want to be like the Jews. True converted Jews have never elected those modern Protestant-ized denominations to speak for us and although there are Jews within those congregations, a lot of us are involved in Apostolic Christianity- for the obvious reasons that ancient Christianity is more like Temple era Judaism than a pentecostal church with lots of Jewish symbols.

This link is typical of what orthodox Jews think of the Messianic movement.

And yes, there is found embossed carvings in a synagogue- the most obvious one is found on the Torah scroll. Often, the breastplate of the scroll is an embossed depiction of a scroll and perhaps you would find a metal crown or pomegranates on top of the scroll (which would be strictly forbidden according to the scriptures if we interpreted the Bible like the fundies).

However, there are some things that Orthodox Christians can do to help us Jews enter the church. They are, namely:

a) Speak out against the anti-semitism found in the writings of great and godly men like St John Chrysostom or certain modern Patriarchs and so many others that bring their nationalist prejudices into their teachings. Anti-semitism is a road to disaster, according to the Bible.

b) Let us keep our traditions, our Sabbath, our Feasts, kosher and prayers when we enter the Church. These things were never intended to be salvific in and of themselves, but rather, they are our customs and covenant signs and like all prayers and religious customs, if done in faith they contribute to our theosis. Jews should be both loyal servants of Christ in the Church but also devout witnesses to other Jews. Remember- even St Paul circumcised St Timothy after the Jerusalem Council had decreed it unecessary for gentiles and St Paul even kept up other Jewish customs and laws too. If Orthodox Christians can keep their culture, so can we. If there are Greek, Russian, Latin, Romanian, Serbian or other valid liturgical and cultural witnesses in the Faith then why not a Hebrew one again? This is a dream for many of us. Our history in salvation is the oldest in the world- this should be respected and rediscovered- within the Church.

Anyway- just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was raised in Reform Judaism and now meet with a local church in the Lord's Recovery.
IIn the Jewish religion there is not much of a concept of the afterlife. There is also no concept of praying to anyone but the one and only God.

While you may not have encountered this in the Reform movement, many modern day Jews (mainly Hasidic) do pray to the departed- in particular when the departed is a well known tzaddik or a Rebbe.

Here's a page devoted to asking for blessings from the departed Lubavitcher Rebbe.

The Jews of course also pray for the departed. You've no doubt seen and heard the Mourner's Kaddish in shule(but ironically death is not mentioned in the prayer!). Prayer for the departed also happened in Jewish history as recorded during the Maccabean victory and therefore it continues to this day.

Anyway, I'm sure you're familiar with all this, but I've put it here for the others.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.