Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, Biden is a Roman Catholic. But he can't impose his religious ideas on others, just because he's president. That's how it works.
It seems some people don't want it to work that way.
As long as the president is the same religion as them, they almost demand them to push that religion's agenda, and promote it and try very hard to get everyone in the country living as per the ideals of that religion.

But then, of course, if the President was of a different religion or non religion to themselves, then they would be all for separation of Church and State.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Biden is a Christian, Trump is not.

Why should USA government be promoting Christianity?
Isn't there supposed to be a seperation of Church and State?

Wouldn't it be better to have Church organisations, and private citizens promoting Christianity?

What has Trump actually done to promote Christianity?
Who gave you the authority to decide who is a Christian and who is not? I don’t think you claim to be one since you’re Godless and without morals.
It’s against the rules to say that someone who claims to be a Christian is not one, even Trump.
I agree Trump’s past behavior wouldn’t indicate that he’s a Christian but it’s not our place to judge.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Who gave you the authority to decide who is a Christian and who is not? I don’t think you claim to be one since you’re Godless and without morals.
It’s against the rules to say that someone who claims to be a Christian is not one, even Trump.
I agree Trump’s past behavior wouldn’t indicate that he’s a Christian but it’s not our place to judge.
Has Trump claimed to be a Christian?
What Church does he belong to?
Has he read the bible?

Does he know the difference between the Old Testament and the New Testament?

I'd be very surprised if he is a Christian.
Look, I don't want him to be an atheist. I'm an atheist, I don't want to be associated with this guy in any way. But then again, there is nothing binding about us atheists. It's just one very small thing we have in common. I'm sure he doesn't believe in fairies too, and neither do I.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has Trump claimed to be a Christian?
What Church does he belong to?
Has he read the bible?

Does he know the difference between the Old Testament and the New Testament?

I'd be very surprised if he is a Christian.
Look, I don't want him to be an atheist. I'm an atheist, I don't want to be associated with this guy in any way. But then again, there is nothing binding about us atheists. It's just one very small thing we have in common. I'm sure he doesn't believe in fairies too, and neither do I.
He said he was Methodist.
And it’s rather condescending for an atheist to tell us who is and who is not a Christian.
I’m not a fan of Trump but you think Biden qualifies and Trump doesn’t, who are you to make such a judgment?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Fools ? "The fool says in his heart, "there is no God". Psalm 14:1. 95% of Atheists vote Blue
"Why do i have to ask God for forgiveness if i havent made any mistakes?"

-Donald Trump.

Enough said.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,331.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I would think that saying someone is "without morals" would be considered flaming...

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And it’s rather condescending for an atheist to tell us who is and who is not a Christian.
I’m not a fan of Trump but you think Biden qualifies and Trump doesn’t, who are you to make such a judgment?
I've just done a quick search on this topic.
It seems Trump's parents were Presbyterian especially his mother.
And once in office Trump changed his affiliation to non-denominational.
Nowhere does it say that he is Methodist.

Trump told Religion News Service last week in a written interview mediated by spiritual advisor Paula White-Cain that he doesn’t consider himself to be Presbyterian. He was confirmed in the church and has called himself Presbyterian numerous times over the years. But no more.

I now consider myself to be a non-denominational Christian,” Trump said in the statement.

Trump and Hillary Clinton – rarely talk about their faith. Trump is a professed Presbyterian; Clinton a Methodist.

Trump’s attempts at public religion have been awkward, at best.

He said he does not ask for forgiveness and “does not bring God into that picture” when he makes mistakes. He has tried to put money in the Communion plate and referred to the sacrament as “my little wine” and “my little cracker.” He mispronounced a book of the Bible, and when asked about his favorite verse, has either deferred or, in one case, cited “an eye for an eye,” an Old Testament revenge scheme specifically condemned by Christ.

When asked theological questions, Trump often speaks in terms so vague they approach opacity.

Asked “Who is God to you?” by the Christian Broadcasting Network, Trump answered “God is the ultimate,” then began a brief spiel about how he got a great deal on a golf course before circling back to his original definition. “So nobody, no thing, no there’s nothing like God.”

“I once invited President Trump to Bible study,” Pence said in his speech. “He really liked the passages about the smiting and perishing of thine enemies. As he put it, ‘Ya know, Mike, there’s some really good stuff in here.’”

I'm not sure what qualifies someone as being Christian. Maybe anyone can claim to be one despite not seeming to know the difference between the OT and the NT, and saying their favourite passage is something that the vast majority of Christians do not claim to be a value of Christianity "Eye for an eye". Anyway, maybe he is Christian. He has said it, and maybe that is enough to qualify.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It seems some people don't want it to work that way.
As long as the president is the same religion as them, they almost demand them to push that religion's agenda, and promote it and try very hard to get everyone in the country living as per the ideals of that religion.

But then, of course, if the President was of a different religion or non religion to themselves, then they would be all for separation of Church and State.
Often, we aren't quite able to live up to our ideals.

• Agree
Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've just done a quick search on this topic.
It seems Trump's parents were Presbyterian especially his mother.
And once in office Trump changed his affiliation to non-denominational.
Nowhere does it say that he is Methodist.

Trump told Religion News Service last week in a written interview mediated by spiritual advisor Paula White-Cain that he doesn’t consider himself to be Presbyterian. He was confirmed in the church and has called himself Presbyterian numerous times over the years. But no more.

I now consider myself to be a non-denominational Christian,” Trump said in the statement.

Trump and Hillary Clinton – rarely talk about their faith. Trump is a professed Presbyterian; Clinton a Methodist.

Trump’s attempts at public religion have been awkward, at best.

He said he does not ask for forgiveness and “does not bring God into that picture” when he makes mistakes. He has tried to put money in the Communion plate and referred to the sacrament as “my little wine” and “my little cracker.” He mispronounced a book of the Bible, and when asked about his favorite verse, has either deferred or, in one case, cited “an eye for an eye,” an Old Testament revenge scheme specifically condemned by Christ.

When asked theological questions, Trump often speaks in terms so vague they approach opacity.

Asked “Who is God to you?” by the Christian Broadcasting Network, Trump answered “God is the ultimate,” then began a brief spiel about how he got a great deal on a golf course before circling back to his original definition. “So nobody, no thing, no there’s nothing like God.”

“I once invited President Trump to Bible study,” Pence said in his speech. “He really liked the passages about the smiting and perishing of thine enemies. As he put it, ‘Ya know, Mike, there’s some really good stuff in here.’”

I'm not sure what qualifies someone as being Christian. Maybe anyone can claim to be one despite not seeming to know the difference between the OT and the NT, and saying their favourite passage is something that the vast majority of Christians do not claim to be a value of Christianity "Eye for an eye". Anyway, maybe he is Christian. He has said it, and maybe that is enough to qualify.
My mistake, it was Presbyterian. I didn’t say he was a good one and yes he has publicly embarrassed himself when he tried to speak about it but it’s not my place to say that he’s not a Christian. He seems to lack a basic understanding of some of the tenets of Christianity but that alone doesn’t disqualify him.
Biden claims he is Catholic but he supports abortion with very little restriction which is the opposite of the Catholic Church’s position but I wouldn’t accuse him of not being Catholic

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I dont see how that's condescending. There are christans who don't even realize they aren't christians.

By their fruits.

Out of curiosity which specific fruits of the spirit in Trump should I see that clearly shows he is a christian because I fully admit I'm jaded, but I don't see any. I think it's kind of important for christians to point out the wolves among us lest we fall to them.

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
My mistake, it was Presbyterian. I didn’t say he was a good one and yes he has publicly embarrassed himself when he tried to speak about it but it’s not my place to say that he’s not a Christian. He seems to lack a basic understanding of some of the tenets of Christianity but that alone doesn’t disqualify him.
Biden claims he is Catholic but he supports abortion with very little restriction which is the opposite of the Catholic Church’s position but I wouldn’t accuse him of not being Catholic
There is a big difference between supporting abortion vs not making it illegal.
It's not government's place to force Christian morals onto society.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Are you saying those should be considered satire? They are mocking Trump and/or his followers?
If so, someone should inform his flock.
Right. A lot of those guys aren't the smartest people, and when their religious leaders speak of Trump in terms of Savior and "God-chosen", their followers tend to believe it.

Upvote 0

BurningBush84

Feb 27, 2023
Minnesota
✟35,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Right. A lot of those guys aren't the smartest people, and when their religious leaders speak of Trump in terms of Savior and "God-chosen", their followers tend to believe it.

According to the Bible , some Christians will go to Hell (Luke 12:47, Matthew 7:22).

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,076.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If someone says that they believe that Jesus is the Son of God, was sent here to die for our sins and was resurrected, then that person is a Christian. Period. Nobody is in a position to deny that. But...I was raised a Christian and I was taught how Christians are meant to behave. My mother was quite fond of using the phrase 'Well, that wasn't a very Christian thing to do.' By thy fruits etc.

I don't see Trump as fulfilling any of the requirements that my old mum would have described as 'being a good Christian'. As opposed to claiming to be a Christian. And I am honestly astonished that there are very many people posting in this forum (present company generally excluded) who turn a blind eye to his behaviour. And even excuse his behaviour on many ocassions.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.