• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Surrender of the will

Discussion in 'Struggles by Non-Christians' started by Bob8102, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Bob8102

Bob8102 Member

+52
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    In trying to figure out whether or not I'm a Christian, and what is keeping me from becoming one if I'm not, I have just now figured that it is the surrender of my will to someone else's that I most object to. It seems to me to be impossible to be willing to actually surrender my will to someone else. I "can't" make myself be willing to do that.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. TzephanYahu

TzephanYahu Member

+49
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    What do you expect us mortals to do about that?

If you want surrender to Yahweh of your own volition then what can anyone say to convince you? And would you really want to make the choice on what mere posters say about it in here?

This should be between you and Him.

3. Bob8102

Bob8102 Member

+52
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    After the rich young ruler walked away, Christ's disciples asked Him, "How can anyone be saved?" Jesus said, "With men, this is impossible..."

4. Charlie24

Charlie24 Newbie Supporter

+684
    Baptist
    Single
    They were confused about salvation, just as you are.

You don't understand Gods grace, if you did it would be easy to surrender.

5. royal priest

royal priest debtor to grace

+1,763
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    You are very close to the kingdom my friend.
    Our only hope of being saved is for Jesus to do the impossible within and upon us.

6. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+5,275
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Have faith. Believe in God.

Its obvious He is calling you into faith. Dont be so worried as we have free will. God loves you and wants you to take the right path in life.

God bless you

7. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+5,498
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    It's seems like what you're struggling with is some cliche you've heard from someone.

You might describe it as surrendering the will, but I would prefer to think of it as subjecting to the will of God. Things like "let go, let God" or "Jesus take the wheel" in the sense that I would become some unthinking robot of sorts doesn't appeal to me.

I have read a lot of the Church Fathers, and also a number of the great Christian writers of Church history, and none of them strike me as having lost their own will. But I have also read monks and others who might be described as having given themselves over completely to God but I see no downside to it. Those are men who dedicate themselves to a strict ascetic life that isn't for everyone.

So if you're afraid of losing your person or identity by becoming a Christian, don't be.

8. zippy2006

zippy2006 Dragonsworn

+1,702
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    What is a concrete example of how you believe your will must be surrendered?

9. Bob8102

Bob8102 Member

+52
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    HTacianas' indication that we do not become unthinking robots when we become Christians, helped a great deal. Since posting yesterday, I understand I have repented and become a Christian. In answer to Zippy2006, I was under the impression, from those Christian circles where it is said that you must surrender your will, that you effectively must surrender your free will to God, so that, moment by moment, He controls your thoughts and actions like a puppet on a string. HTacianas' response helped to clear up that misconception and helped me decisively repent and turn to Christ.