Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This Forum is a place for respectful discussion and debate of political issues, by Roman Catholics, in the context of the Roman Catholic Faith.

Jackson Women’s Health Organization, Mississippi’s lone abortion clinic, presented its legal argument Monday for why the U.S. Supreme Court should strike down the state’s 2018 law prohibiting abortions after the first 15 weeks of pregnancy, setting the stage for a momentous showdown over Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that legalized abortion nationwide.

The filing means that both parties in the case, Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, have now laid out their legal strategies. The Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in the case during its fall term, which begins Oct. 4.

While the constitutionality of Mississippi’s law is the primary question before the Court, both sides make clear in their respective briefs that the law is meant to be a direct challenge to Roe itself, and the decision that affirmed Roe’s central argument 18 years later, Planned Parenthood v. Casey. In its brief, the State of Mississippi explicitly asks the Court to overturn Roe, arguing that “the conclusion that abortion is a constitutional right has no basis in text, structure, history, or tradition.”

The parties' opposing arguments focus largely on two key points of contention: the legal doctrine known as stare decisis, which holds that legal precedents should not be easily overruled lest the rule of law be eroded, and the concept of fetal “viability,” or the point at which fetal life can survive outside the womb.

Continued below.
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/...r-dobbs-v-jackson-womens-health-abortion-case

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While I want to believe that some progress will be made on the holocaust that is abortion, I know that the GOP isn't actually interested in making abortion illegal because the empty promise that they will fight against it is what motivates a lot of Christians to donate to the party. If they actually succeeded in rolling back abortion, then those donations would dry up.

I also don't have a whole lot of faith in Kavanaugh or Amy Barrett. They have not been the "conservative" supreme court justices that they were sold to the public as being. The absolute worst case scenario here is that this court case establishes a precedent that keeps abortion legal.

Last Sunday was "Respect Life Sunday". Our deacon was leading a prayer chain but I did not go because I had to work. Hopefully the fact that it's Respect Life month will mean something and our prayers will be answered, but when it comes to abortion in America (as well as homsexuality and gender nonsense) I believe that Almighty God has given the majority of our nation over to a reprobate mind and allows them to continue in grave sin because he is kindling his wrath against the United States of America for telling him that he's not wanted in our public sphere.

Upvote 0