St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough. I don't agree with the Christlessness of the Constitution. It was a massive error to not name Christ King and declare this a Christian nation. That said, with the declention in this country, it is best that the church remain separate and try to influence government from the outside
You may think of it as a massive error, but those of us who are not Evangelical Protestants are glad of it and cherish our right to the free exercise of our religion.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Graduates that can't read, graduates that can't do simple math, graduates that can't find Canada on a map, graduates who have never read the constitution, graduates that think pulling down a statue of Abraham Lincoln is actually a righteous act. I could go on and on and on. Big parts of the government school system are a mess. Rich people can always send their children to private schools. Those with modest means have real trouble affording that, and are thus trapped in sending their children to the government schools. This ruling provides a tiny bit of hope for those of us with modest means.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Graduates that can't read, graduates that can't do simple math, graduates that can't find Canada on a map, graduates who have never read the constitution, graduates that think pulling down a statue of Abraham Lincoln is actually a righteous act. I could go on and on and on. Big parts of the government school system are a mess. Rich people can always send their children to private schools. Those with modest means have real trouble affording that, and are thus trapped in sending their children to the government schools. This ruling provides a tiny bit of hope for those of us with modest means.
My experience is that those nonprofit schools cost an arm and both legs. I’m sure those Christian schools will float your kids scholarships.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My experience is that those nonprofit schools cost an arm and both legs. I’m sure those Christian schools will float your kids scholarships.
The problem has been that most parents cannot afford any but the government schools. Trapped. And even the most affordable of Catholic schools are out of reach. Scholarships do help, but Blaine Laws hurt. We finally have come to the point where most and maybe all parents of modest means can have a shot at school choice for their children. It's a matter of economic fairness.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem has been that most parents cannot afford any but the government schools. Trapped. And even the most affordable of Catholic schools are out of reach. Scholarships do help, but Blaine Laws hurt. We finally have come to the point where most and maybe all parents of modest means can have a shot at school choice for their children. It's a matter of economic fairness.
Which means more government money for schools, then.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
have you ever made any attempt yourself, personally, to improve public education? Run for School Board, say?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
have you ever made any attempt yourself, personally, to improve public education? Run for School Board, say?
My grandfather was on a public school board, my father was a public school teacher who sent his children to private schools, and my part was in providing competition to the public schools by assisting Catholic schools so the government schools didn't have an overwhelming monopoly.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Which means more government money for schools, then.
The cost to educate in public schools is quite high, almost as if they were elite private schools. Catholic schools are (often - not always) much more moderate in cost to educate.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The cost to educate in public schools is quite high, almost as if they were elite private schools. Catholic schools are (often - not always) much more moderate in cost to educate.
That was before all the lawsuits, right?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That was before all the lawsuits, right?
Yes. Parents who sent children to those schools paid taxes for public schools and tuition for non-public schools if they could afford it. Now things may change. I think the Supreme Court ruling applies to Montana alone and it may take some time and more lawsuits to become effective nationally. And it will change the cost of things. Of course education is in flux at the moment anyhow with adjustments due to Covid-19. Things are going to be very different come fall in ways that aren't even clear yet. I'm hearing they may stagger local classes locally to be MT and ThF with alternating Wednesdays. Not sure how that would actually work, but it's not popular. It's an interesting mess, and layering the Supreme Court decision on top makes it even more interesting. That and the mess that state and local governments will be facing due to economic shutdown. Taxes will be changing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Heck I can set the bar far lower and very few would measure up.

So many complain about sex education so when my son had it coming up and invitations were sent to all the parents to meet with the teacher and discuss it I decided to go. Part curiosity and part because I'm a trouble maker.

The teacher was rather happy with the large turn out that semester. Two parents. Counting me the curious trouble maker.

There was also an open house we went to. Absolutely no problem getting individual time to talk to teachers because the school was nearly empty.

Upvote 0