• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Supreme Court: if states fund private schools, they must fund religious schools

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by essentialsaltes, Jun 30, 2020.

1. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+13,469
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    LINK

In a ruling that will open the door to more public funding for religious education, the Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled in favor of parents in Montana seeking to use a state scholarship program to send their children to religious schools.

The court said that a Montana tax credit program that directed money to private schools could not exclude religious schools.

The 5-4 ruling was penned by Chief Justice John Roberts and joined by the court's four conservative justices.

"A State need not subsidize private education. But once a State decides to do so, it cannot disqualify some private schools solely because they are religious," Roberts wrote in the majority opinion.

I can only hope that taxpayer-supported creationism and madrassas will cause states to realize they should stop funding private schools entirely, but I don't think that will be the case.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+3,759
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    The ironic thing is, the Montana Supreme Court struck down the whole program on establishment clause grounds.

3. SimplyMe

SimplyMe Senior Veteran

+3,409
    Christian
    Married
    I'll agree with the ruling, schools should not be defunded just for being religious. There are some great religious schools. At the same time, their should be clear standards set up that schools need to abide by -- including that they teach the required curriculum (including science, not creationism, and not discriminating against minorities) to be eligible to receive public money.

4. essentialsaltes

+13,469
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    That would likely fall afoul of First Amendment protections.

5. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,194
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Then they can maybe also look at some of the crazy things that pass for education in the government schools.

6. essentialsaltes

+13,469
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Montana Constitution:
    The leg- islature, counties, cities, towns, school districts, and public corporations shall not make any direct or indi- rect appropriation or payment from any public fund or monies, or any grant of lands or other property for any sectarian purpose or to aid any church, school, acad- emy, seminary, college, university, or other literary or scientific institution, controlled in whole or in part by any church, sect, or denomination.

States' Rights!

7. SimplyMe

SimplyMe Senior Veteran

+3,409
    Christian
    Married
    It shouldn't. The state has the right to set standards for education, particularly when the state is paying for the group to educate students. I won't say they could prevent a school from trying to teach creationism, but they can require that Evolution be taught as accepted science. At the same time, they likely could ban the teaching of "Intelligent Design" as that was set up particularly to get around religious claims in secular schools -- so can't now be marketed as a religious belief.

8. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,294
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I agree with this part of the ruling.
    otoh, I don't think public funds should be going to the for-profit schools, period.

9. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+10,097
    United States
    Married
    I can’t wait to see my tax dollars going to support the hundreds of new Islamic schools that will be protected by the Trump Supreme Court.

10. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+14,442
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    It will be balanced by the Confederate Calvary Heritage Artillery Academy, Inc. chain of schools that will be opening in Mississippi and Alabama this very Fall. You'll love them... everybody will want to send their kids there... the "Fire and Fury" Marching band will play at every CCHAA football game.... and the cheerleaders will all look like Ivanka... she's really hot, you know...

The Trump Foundation and Laundromat Association has pledged huge contributions.

11. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+6,967
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    Indeed but let's not forget the Pastafarian school of cookery, every bowl of pasta a prayer to his noodliness!

12. cow451

+14,442
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Will they have beer in the vending machine?

13. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+6,967
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    Well have to to move the red wine to make room.

14. Redwingfan9

Redwingfan9 Well-Known Member

+612
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    The Christian response to this should be concern rather than rejoicing. Whenever the government starts funding something they want to control it. We believers should not want any government control of our schools.

15. Aryeh Jay

+10,097
    United States
    Married
    I think it is a good thing, that way the government can ensure the correct Christianity is represented.

16. Redwingfan9

Redwingfan9 Well-Known Member

+612
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    What is the correct Christianity and how will the government ensure it is represented?

17. Aryeh Jay

+10,097
    United States
    Married
    I’m pretty sure that the Government can sort that all out and come up with something everyone can agree on.

It can be regulated by having Government inspectors and a series of fines for non compliance.

18. RocksInMyHead

RocksInMyHead God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!

+2,747
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Pasta and beer? Heathen.

19. cow451

+14,442
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Yankee.

20. GreatLakes4Ever

GreatLakes4Ever Well-Known Member

+1,642
    United States
    Humanist
    Engaged
    The German in me says spätzle and beer go together quite well.