Logan City
✟758,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's one almighty mess as far as the Church is concerned. It's reputation has been damaged for years to come.

I suppose I hope Cardinal Pell is exonerated, but whether he is or not, the fact remains that there were a lot of abuse cases, and not just 40 or 50 years ago.

Human nature is the same old fallen beast it always was. Getting away from the pedophile crisis for a moment, for as long as I can remember governments and others have been educating their people about the dangers of drug abuse, smoking, excessive alcoholic consumption, speeding and all the rest.

And for as long as I can remember, people have continued to take drugs and become addicted, smoke, get drunk and become alcoholics, speed and all the rest of it.

Which means that scandals are going to rock the church from time to time, because human nature won't change.

So there will continue to be abuse cases, whether we like it or not. What does have to change is the systemic cover-up which allowed these things to continue in such enormous numbers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Giacinta

Jul 12, 2015
✟18,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you are wondering about the integrity of Victorian Police, read online about 'Lawyer X' — Nicola Gobbo, a defence lawyer who was paid $2.8 mullion secretly and illegally by Victorian Police to inform on her clients to the prosecution and so secure convictions. The Victorian Police, under Commissioner Graham Ashton, corrupted this lawyer and corrupted the whole judicial system. As a result, the numerous trials resulting in convictions with Madam Gobbo as the defence banister will have to be conducted all over again.

Another disgraceful and uniquely bigoted activity was 'Operation Tethering' set up by Victorian Police in 2013 in order to find an accusation against Cardinal Pell when none had ever been made. This was admitted by Detective Superintendent Paul Sheridan in court, in March 2018, under questioning by the Cardinal's barrister, Robert Richter. This admission, reluctantly given, shows the dishonesty of the deputy commissioner's announcement on 29 June 2017, when announcing charges against Cardinal Pell. The Victoria state police deputy commissioner Shane Patton told the media conference: "I want to be perfectly clear: the process and procedures that are being followed in the charging of Cardinal Pell have been the same that have been applied in a whole range of historical sex offences whenever we investigate them." This was a complete lie: Cardinal Pell was an object of a special police task force to "get him," even when no one had made a complaint against him.

On top of this, the Victorian Police back in 2016 leaked information to the media, saying the Cardinal was being investigated and might one day be charged — something never done before for any other citizen, not even for suspected terrorists or known mafia gangsters.

In 2016, the Victorian Police Taskforce 'SANTO' (investigating historic cases of abuse) gave inside police information to Louise Mulligan for a TV show and for her book against the Cardinal in 2017.
In July 2016, following the '7:30 report' on Cardinal Pell's alleged behaviour in Ballarat, Victorian police commissioner Graham Ashton was interviewed on Radio 3AW in Melbourne and said, "Anyone who saw that show on the ABC, which I did look at, it's clear... the source of that information is from victims." By saying 'victims' instead of 'complainants', the Police Commissioner publicly declared the accusations to be true and the Cardinal to be guilty — 2 years before his trial. It is no wonder that the Victorian Police have the reputation they do: corrupt, corrupting, prejudicing trials, Masonic and anti-Catholic.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It gets curiouser and curiouser as time goes on, this Pell verdict. I could believe he really is a political prisoner.
We are on the same page. I find it more than distressing that an innocent man could be convicted on a media fueled narrative. While the guilty walk free.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We are on the same page. I find it more than distressing that an innocent man could be convicted on a media fueled narrative. While the guilty walk free.
Yes, it seems some land in prison for a long time. Like Fr. Gordon MacRae, who has been rotting in prison now since 1994. And Mr. McCarrick gets away with what he did as far as the law goes. I guess it depends on who your friends are. And your enemies.

Upvote 0