Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In March 2022, the late Cardinal George Pell published an at the time anonymous critique of Pope Francis’ pontificate under the pseudonym “Demos.”

Now another cardinal, who identifies himself as “Demos II,” has published another anonymous screed. This one, however, is more forward-looking in nature and offers seven suggested tasks for the next successor of St. Peter.

The anonymous cardinal published his text, titled “The Vatican Tomorrow,” in six languages on the Italian “Bussola Quotidiana” (“Daily Compass”) website.

“In March 2022, an anonymous text appeared — signed under the pseudonym ‘Demos’ and titled ‘The Vatican Today’ — that raised a series of serious questions and criticisms about the pontificate of Pope Francis. Conditions in the Church since that text appeared have not materially changed, much less improved,” the document begins.

Demos II observes that there are aspects of the current pontificate that are positive, such as the concern Pope Francis has for the weakest and poorest, along with environmental issues, but that “its shortcomings are equally obvious.”

Those shortcomings include “an autocratic, at times seemingly vindictive, style of governance; a carelessness in matters of law; an intolerance for even respectful disagreement; and — most seriously — a pattern of ambiguity in matters of faith and morals causing confusion among the faithful.”

Demos II recommends recovering essential truths​

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: DJWhalen

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was shocked, I mean shocked, to learn that Cardinal Pell was Demos I. He nailed the problems that the next conclave would have to take up in discerning who the next pope will be.

And now we have Demos II, also anonymous. Will we ever learn that Cardinal's identity?

If you ever watched the TV show "To Tell the Truth" maybe we will learn, when three cardinals play Demos II claiming to be him and at the end the true Demos II stands up!

Of course the usual suspects might be Cardinals Mueller, Burke, Sarah, although I would rule out Sarah right away but I would have also ruled out Cardinal Pell as Demos I.

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0