Sunny South Africa (2)

Kel_ee

Oct 7, 2008
✟15,257.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello all... I am from Alabama, USA. I recently ran in to one of your own. During our conversation I learned a bit of what people in S. Africa think of ones in the US. She was very honest... in which I was greatful, but still a bit taken back by what she was saying. I was looking for more of differences in cultures, on a positive note. We do still keep in contact, but I was hoping to get some different feedback, if possible that is. I am a very open minded person, I don't get defensive and my purpose is not to start verbal war, but just to learn more about other cultures. Hope to hear back from you! :)

Upvote 0

Tini

Live in God's Community
Aug 21, 2002
Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
Visit site
✟28,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Kel_ee

I'd be really happy to chat about anything. What exactly would you like to know?

Here - the S Africans - and S African posters - are also very open to speaking plainly. So no offence is likely?

Fire away - after apartheid, South Africans are very open about talking about very sensitive subjects around race, culture and gender - in a very open and transperent way. Sometimes a little too opne and it can make others uncomfortable?

Reactions: Cassiopeia
Upvote 0

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Feb 5, 2005
Wasatch Mountains
✟15,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
South Africans ROCK! And while the United States is my country, South Africa is my heart! I love the US, don't get me wrong but SA is still very much like the US used to be and hopefully will be one day again!

Let me tell you, they will do anything for anyone in need. I've met the most generous and fun loving people in my life while living and studying in Cape Town. My hope is to finish my studies both undergraduate and graduate and return to Cape Town to teach at the University there while getting my PH.D.

They have the most fabulous braais (barbeque to us US'ns) and are very gracious in inviting new comers. The only thing I can say is they are so full of life that sometimes for some of them, they are a bit verbal but hey they are a passionate people.

I love 'em to bits! :)

Upvote 0

Kel_ee

Oct 7, 2008
✟15,257.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow! what a great response. Thank you. Well I can say I have had many misconceptions of South Africa. First I didn't know that whites live there. :) But I just learned that South Africans do not care for blacks. Is this true for all or is it just one's opinon I've heard?

The sweet girl I met from SA got me interested in finding out what other countries felt about the US. Unfortunately, It's election time, and I have gotten to know how the UK and Australia feel all too well. :) I have for the first time realized how much the US can effect the outside countries. How does the US effect your country? How much are our elections important to you? Do you personally have a preference on who you want to win today.

Last but not least, do you also call soccer football?

Cass ~ thank you for your imput. Makes me eager to learn more from SA. Good luck in your studies.

Reactions: Tini
Upvote 0

Tini

Live in God's Community
Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
✟28,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi - nope - soccer is soccer!!! :p We are with the US on that one.

As far as the elections go - my personal opinion is that there is not a huge difference between the two parties from a foreign policy perspective - so the actual outcome will probably not have huge ramifications on S Africa - or many other African countries for that matter.

I am a white S African - and NO - we do not all hate/dislike/discriminate against blacks. In actual fact S Africa is an incredibly diverse nation - there are 11 official languages - the largest Jewish and Portugese populations outside of their home nations are in S Africa. There is a huge Asian (Indian) population, already a few generations into living in SA. the white population is also extremely diverse originating from the UK (British) colonies; Holland (the Dutch origin); France (the Chritian Hugenots that were persecuted and went to places like SA & even the US!) plus many others.

Although there was discrimination (in the form of apartheid), what made it abomnible was the fact that it was law that blacks and whites could not mix. And this in an era when most other countries were droppuing those laws. Even the US had just as draconian laws up until the Civil Rights movement in the 1960's. But in SA's case - it was a white minority that was forcing these laws on the black majority.

There are about 13 million whites in S Africa FYI.

Hope this helps?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kel_ee

Oct 7, 2008
✟15,257.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So make sure I am getting this right... Over there it is still law that black and white do not mix. And it is the white minority that is choosing this? Sorry I'm a bit slow at understanding unusual so I want to make sure that I am understanding.

How does your government work over there? Can you go into a bit of detail. is SA under the same as Africa?

Reactions: Tini
Upvote 0

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Feb 5, 2005
Wasatch Mountains
✟15,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So make sure I am getting this right... Over there it is still law that black and white do not mix. And it is the white minority that is choosing this? Sorry I'm a bit slow at understanding unusual so I want to make sure that I am understanding.

How does your government work over there? Can you go into a bit of detail. is SA under the same as Africa?
NO there WAS a law...It was called Apartheid but it has been done away with in quite a long time ago. He was speaking of the PAST South Africa. Not the current.

South Africa, one of the many countries on the African continent has its own government. It is currently run by the ANC party which is predominantly Black last time I heard.

Upvote 0

Tini

Live in God's Community
Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
✟28,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Casi is bang on.

SA = South Africa, which is a democratic republic with elections run on a one man one vote system. Very similar to the US elections. The ruling majority party is the african National Congress - the ANC. Although they are predominantly black, there are not parties of note based on racial lines.

There are 2 Christian parties. I cultural based (Zulu) party - but the constitution is very open and free allowing freedom of association.

SA is the largest economy in africa -but it a very small part of Africa.

Apartheid was a series of laws put in place by a white party from 1946 to 1994. But that all ended with the release of Nelson Mandela and the first fully democratic election in 1994.

Reactions: Kel_ee
Upvote 0

Kel_ee

Oct 7, 2008
✟15,257.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
SA is the largest economy in africa -but it a very small part of Africa. I'm going to look you up on the map.

Apartheid was a series of laws put in place by a white party from 1946 to 1994. But that all ended with the release of Nelson Mandela and the first fully democratic election in 1994. Ah.. I see. Thank you too Casi.

Is your society close to what we have in the US also. Cities, Movies, Bowling, Major sports, Fast food?

When you think of the US what comes to mind? Postitive or neg? No hurt feelings to worry about, just truth.

Reactions: Cassiopeia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Feb 5, 2005
Wasatch Mountains
✟15,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Stormy! How you doing boet? LOL. I think you are very right about that look. They've seen it and they know it means stop it right now. *giggles* but they are grown now and I don't scare them much. My youngest is 17.5. Can you believe it?

Upvote 0

Tini

Live in God's Community
Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
✟28,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry - been away for a while.

Back to Ke-lee

USA - I get a fairly good impression of the US - a good country with lots of opportunities.

SA - pretty much the same - some big cities (Joburg has close to 10 million people living in it).

we have great highways, restaurants - including many of the US and European franchises. Univerisities; Cable television ; all the latest movies; great sporting facilities - we are actually hosting the 2010 World Cup Soccer tournament

So pretty much a well developed country within the dveloping world.

Still a lot of issues such as poverty and health care issues.
But a very pretty country too - with amazing wildlife and tourist opportunties

Upvote 0

Kel_ee

Oct 7, 2008
✟15,257.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
with amazing wildlife and tourist opportunties

We have an animal channel and in africa, (i'm not sure where, I still get a little geography confused) there is a problem with lions attacking humans. Have you heard of this. Pretty scary thing, but my husband and I would love to see your wildlife up close. I bet it is amazing.

Do you celebrate Christmas? If so what are some of your customs there? What do you call santa clause or is he even involved with celebrating Christmas?

Here we have trees in our stores that have names on it, pick a name and buy a gift for a child that wouldn't get one that year. Do you have this there? The Christmas time for me is when I can catch up on my family. Picture cards are popular thing here. It's nice to see the changes, esp with growing children over the year. Is it similar with you over there?

A new thing here is to fry the whole turkey in a pot of oil. It's delicious! My favorite is turkey, mashed potatoes gravy, greenbean casserole, deviled eggs, and of course pie. I don't think I have a favorite pie, but I'm in the mood for pecan pie this year.

I would like to hear about some of your traditions, please share. :)

Upvote 0